Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about drafting Toby Gerheart?

flock53

If all you guys think this guy is so good, why will he still be there in the 4th?

That is why i said him in the 4th is a massive win.....i don't think he would be around in the 4th....he just semms like a solid "sleeper" rb

We will need to sure up our O-line this offseason or at least start to. I see running back by committee of aldrige, ganther and mason or something like that. so many holes. this is why i hope shanny and allen can trade back in the first unless bradford absolutely lights it up in the combine and his shoulder is now indestructable.

Didn't Shanahan give an endorsement of Aldridge when the Skins picked him up? Or was it someone else in the Broncos organization?

That said, I think Gerhart is a beast, but there are other issues that need to be fixed first. Ganther didn't look terrible for the 4th or 5th running back behind an awful Oline.

Gerhart = Jersey selling machine

I wouldn't be upset if we draft this kid as long as it's not at the expense of protecting our QB.

LT first, then whatever.......

Call me crazy but maybe we trade back from the 4th pick, and have the opportunity to address both offensive line AND running back. Hmmm....

Just noticed,in that picture I posted: Is that a knee brace?

I understand that he pretty much missed his second season with an injury. And I think the photo I posted is from his senior year.

In the guy durable enough to wear the # 44?

I understand that he pretty much missed his second season with an injury. And I think the photo I posted is from his senior year.

Well, in a day and age where RBs don't get 30+ carries anymore, Gerhart is one of the few RBs who actually continue to get better the more he carries the ball.

Of Stanford's four regular season losses this year, three of them happened when Gerhart had 20 or less carries.

In case we're forgetting, we had a piss poor record without Portis getting 25+ carries his first three years here.

We've tried to give tinier speedy backs the chance to compliment Portis. All they did was fumble.

Drafting Gerhart after drafting an OL in the first could be a fantastic building ground for Shanahan. A return to a power run game would be long, long, long overdue, imo.

Let's blow a draft pick on a big slow power RB who wears two knee braces.

Those guys are all the rage in the NFL.

:rotflmao:

Is that your logic in not drafting Gerhart?

For someone big and slow, he somehow puts up fantastic numbers behind a porous OL.

I like Toby-he is a tough runner. Could remind some fans of Riggo when Riggo was a younger player. I think our team needs both a speedy runner and a runner like Toby.

I agree with you on needing both a speed back and a power back at this point. Portis is just a "average" back across the board pretty much, which in and of itself is above average (at best).

What I'd love to see....

Trade back in the 1st to get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Take a OL in the 1st.

Take Toby in the 2nd.

Take OL or Devine/McCluster with our extra 2nd or 3rd (depending if it seems to be a run on OL there or a run on RB's) and take the other position as our 4th.

Get us a young speed and power back to hopefully last for some time, and give us two young O-Linemen to begin to build around.

Use our late round picks for depth focusing on good Special Teams players.

After thinking about things some more, over lunch:

I really liked watching the guy run against Oklahoma. (Who I figure is a very good run D, and who were ready for him. It's not like Oklahoma ignored him because they were scared of the rest of Stanford's offensive weapons.) Watching the guy, I think of Riggens.

That said, though, I think we've seen, recently, that we have depth at RB. We might not have any one, single, player that opponents are scared of. But we have lots of people who are adequate.

OTOH, I don't think we can fix our OL with only one draft pick. It's going to take multiple picks. (They don't have to be top 10 picks, though.)

I think that for this draft to be successful, we need to get two OL, somewhere in the first three rounds.

(Yeah, I'm being arbitrary. I'm assuming that we can get good OL in the 3rd round, but not in the 4th. But you have to put the line somewhere, and that's where I figure it is.)

Now, give me a scenario where we trade down, gain a pick in the 2nd or 3rd, and with those three picks, we get 2 OL and this guy? Then I'll be a happy Skins fan. Probably order the guy's jersey the same day.

If the opportunity to trade down isn't there? (Or if we get offers, but we don't like them?)

Then, well, if I have to chose between

1) One OL and Gerhart

2) Two OL, and we'll play the cards we've got at RB

then I think I'll have to regretfully go with option 2.

I dont think he was braced for his bowl game, no injury concerns Ive heard about.

About the pic, bothrsome hes carrying the ball in the wrong arm, I seen him switch to the wrong arm on one of his runs in the bowl game also.

Someone noted he didnt have ANY fumbles, he did in bowl game in which he recovered himself for a TD. That being said, MY only concern w/ him fighting for all that extra yrds. AP puts the ball on the dirt to, but I could live w/ that. NOT putting him in same breath as AP as far as talent.

OBVIOUSLY we take a LT at #4 (A.Davis)

TOBY rd 2

After thinking about things some more, over lunch:

I really liked watching the guy run against Oklahoma. (Who I figure is a very good run D, and who were ready for him. It's not like Oklahoma ignored him because they were scared of the rest of Stanford's offensive weapons.) Watching the guy, I think of Riggens.

That said, though, I think we've seen, recently, that we have depth at RB. We might not have any one, single, player that opponents are scared of. But we have lots of people who are adequate.

OTOH, I don't think we can fix our OL with only one draft pick. It's going to take multiple picks. (They don't have to be top 10 picks, though.)

I think that for this draft to be successful, we need to get two OL, somewhere in the first three rounds.

(Yeah, I'm being arbitrary. I'm assuming that we can get good OL in the 3rd round, but not in the 4th. But you have to put the line somewhere, and that's where I figure it is.)

Now, give me a scenario where we trade down, gain a pick in the 2nd or 3rd, and with those three picks, we get 2 OL and this guy? Then I'll be a happy Skins fan. Probably order the guy's jersey the same day.

If the opportunity to trade down isn't there? (Or if we get offers, but we don't like them?)

Then, well, if I have to chose between

1) One OL and Gerhart

2) Two OL, and we'll play the cards we've got at RB

then I think I'll have to regretfully go with option 2.

We dont have a 3rd for Jarmon in supplemental

That being said A.Davis OT-Rutgers, Toby in 2nd rd, JD Walton C- Baylor in 4th if there are no moves.

I think our RB woes can be fixed in FA someone like sprolls or Leon Washington and save the draft pick

Those two would NOT last a whole season. Leon was lost and Sproles didnt do much early as "the man" when LT was dinged.

Again TOP $$$$ for a FRA and both are RFA if uncapped.

I would rather get a discounted Willie Parker in FA

Pound the ball w/Toby and soften defenses and use Fast Willy to break long ones on a tired DEF

I learned this from Gibbs 1.0

Archived