Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gaints = Downhill?

bubbajr17

I think we are witnessing the fall of the Giants. They've gradually gotten worse and worse each year after winning the Superbowl. Does everyone remember their free agency splash this year? Looks like its paying dividends for them huh? :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I don't really get it. I think something has happened and they have kept it in house. They showed soo much heart and determination in 2007 and now look like they could care less. I understand the loss of Burress hurts but its the defense that puzzles me the most. Plus they made big splashes in FA and supposedly have had 2-3 very good drafts in a row. I go back to something has happened in that lockeroom and we just haven't heard about it yet.

The Giants problems are two-fold: age and injury.

The offensive line is getting older (starters over 30) and Brandon Jacobs has been consistently hurt the past 2 years. You can see with McKenzie missing time that the OL is starting some decline.

Then on defense, the secondary has been shattered. Phillips is out for the season. Ross is gone with the hamstring. Dockery is hurt.

The Giants, like the Redskins, need to find a new franchise back on offense. They also need to find younger OL.

On defense, the team needs to draft cornerbacks and sign a veteran FA.

The Giants still have talent. This team can come back in 2010 and be a contender but it is going to require making some major moves.

And NY has traditionally been more reluctant to make those kinds of moves than Philly, Dallas or Washington in the East.

The offensive line is getting older (starters over 30) and Brandon Jacobs has been consistently hurt the past 2 years. You can see with McKenzie missing time that the OL is starting some decline.

Then on defense, the secondary has been shattered. Phillips is out for the season. Ross is gone with the hamstring. Dockery is hurt.

The Giants, like the Redskins, need to find a new franchise back on offense. They also need to find younger OL.

The Giants still have talent. This team can come back in 2010 and be a contender but it is going to require making some major moves.

And NY has traditionally been more reluctant to make those kinds of moves than Philly, Dallas or Washington in the East.

I was about to respond, but you said it all. Injuries doomed the Gints this year. Putting Ross on IR was the white flag.

The only person I'd take on that team is Steve Smith. They can keep the rest. I just don't think Ross is that good. Corey Webster is the better of the two (but even then, he's been exposed this year). Their strongest link is probably Phillips but hes hurt (His injury could be career threatening? I dont know, remember reading something like that). Jacobs doesn't look stellar either. I'm beginning to think that HE HAS to have someone to split time with. Bradshaw just looks better to me. I think that team is in a world of trouble, playing like they did the last 2 weeks. They basically GAVE Dallas a ticket into the playoffs on a silver platter. :mad:

I just love the Giants failures. :hysterical: You suck Giants!!!!!! Ha hahahahaha! Ahhhhhh, I love it!!!!!! The only reason they did so well early on is they played the Redskins and got a false sense of talent. Oh the crumbling of NY.:evilg: Watching them fall apart and be in disaray is well worth the Skins hardships this year.:point2sky Go Vikings! woooooo. Die Giants Dieeeeeeeee!

I think they went wrong trusting the young players too much. The WRs are all #2s and giants fans will bring Smith up but they need a playmaker like D. Jackson. The running game just fell apart this season. Something is wrong with Jacobs, I remember during the superbowl year he was a sure thing, now teams just clog the lines and make him jump outside to the edge and he doesn't have great speed.

Losing AP for most of the second half of the season hurt too. He may have lost a step or two due to age but I think he was the heart and soul of that defense. I don't know what's up with their running game but with a good OL, emerging receivers, a stud TE, a healthy Eli, a few key defensive starters returning they'll be ready to roll next year.

Coughlin should not be fired but you never know I guess.

As I said in other thread Coughlin should be fired for perennially choking in the 2nd half save for the SB year...his act has worn thin in NY. However he might be spared given the team constantly hovers around mediocrity and has never been sensationally good or abysmally bad.

One person who def. needs to go is Sheridan though.

They are getting blown out worse than we will today. (I hope)

I can't believe that gaggle of losers, just punked us in our house like they did.

As I'm sitting here watching this ass-beating, which I love btw, I can't help but feel the same way. How did they do what they did to us, only to have the same thing done to them in 2 straight weeks?

I think its premature to say the giants are declining (of course I'm a giants fan). They are actually pretty young at most positions except for O-line, and the rookie OT they drafted looks to have some promise.

As for the problems this year, there are too many to count.

On D, Sheridan is not good and injuries mounted. The loss of Phillips and the Ross injury turned an above average secondary into a below average one. The GM takes some of the blame there for only going into the season with 3 safeties on the roster. The loss of Alford in the D-line took away a promising young DT and Rocky Bernard did not play up to expectations. Canty's early season injuries mean he didn't contribute as much as hoped. The loss of AP took away the heart and soul of that D.

That said, the players that remained on D didn't perform. Michael Johnson played very poorly at safety, and Osi wound up getting benched.

On O, the problems seem to be that the running game did not perform. This was a combination of poor performance and injury for the OL. For the RBs, both starting RBs were playing injured most of the season. Madison Hedge**** has apparently been playing injured too. All of those contributed to a poor running game.

Eli Manning quietly had the best season of his career. Its a shame that such a performance was wasted and a bad season. it would have been alot worse if Eli didn't step up his game. The WR core is young, but there is alot of talent there. Steve Smith emerged as a very good WR. Hakeem Nicks showed gamebreaking capabilities that the Giants have lacked since Plax. Manningham also showed some talent. Unfortunately some mental mistakes caused him to fall to #3 behind Nicks, but that is still a nice WR to have at #3.

I really think losing Plaxico was a big issue for them. When he shot himself last year the Giants were looking great, then they skidded a bit toward the end of the season and still managed to end up 13-3. Of course they lost their first playoff game. The offense never seemed to be the same after that, and for good reason. Giants have always been great on 3rd down and Plaxico was a major part of that.

Defense?? Now that's a major concern. I have not followed the Giants as much this year but that secondary has never really been special. Pass rush was always monstrous and it doesn't seem to be quite as effective now.

I really think losing Plaxico was a big issue for them. When he shot himself last year the Giants were looking great, then they skidded a bit toward the end of the season and still managed to end up 13-3. Of course they lost their first playoff game. The offense never seemed to be the same after that, and for good reason. Giants have always been great on 3rd down and Plaxico was a major part of that.

Defense?? Now that's a major concern. I have not followed the Giants as much this year but that secondary has never really been special. Pass rush was always monstrous and it doesn't seem to be quite as effective now.

I thought this was a pretty darn good secondary put together - since Spags came(and left), the Giants did a good job making it a priority(unlike with Tim Lewis).

Make no mistake - Giants will be back next year. These kinds of seasons can happen, they reminded me of the Cowboys in 2004, alot of promise, but injuries and lack of heart ended up dooming us.

I thought this was a pretty darn good secondary put together - since Spags came(and left), the Giants did a good job making it a priority(unlike with Tim Lewis).

Make no mistake - Giants will be back next year. These kinds of seasons can happen, they reminded me of the Cowboys in 2004, alot of promise, but injuries and lack of heart ended up dooming us.

Certainly a lot of injuries. There's no question that the Giants are capable of coming back fine next year. They are a well constructed team, inside out. I do think they need a big play threat and maybe Nicks will develop into that. They will be fine. Skins, however ....

Archived