Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT: Shanahan on track to make more than $50 million from Redskins

Well, you gotta ask yourself, how good would Dungy be without Peyton? How good would Belichick be without Brady? Shanahan actually made Elway a much more steady and productive QB. He went 11-5 with Griese and 13-3 with Plummer. He went to the playoffs 4 different years without Elway. And the AFC West was really competitive at the time.

Of course there's no guarantee that he'll do well, but his track record is pretty damn good and you gotta play the odds. Odds are a guy that has had success before will have success again. At least those odds are better than trying to bring in a first time HC or an HC that hasn't won a SB.

Dungy was actually pretty darn good without Peyton and without brady BB is 3 winning seasons and 4 losing season i think

Snyder really wants Mike Shanahan to coach the Redskins. Is he worth $10,000,000 a year? In my estimation, no he isn't. That's double the pay that Gibbs and Spurrier received. But if Shanahan agrees to the terms, then I would assume that he'll have the Redskins back in the playoffs very soon. To earn that much money with dismal showings on the football field isn't acceptable at all. Shanahan would have to have the Redskins playing top level football and winning games, even in his first season as head coach. A lot will be expected of Shanahan with that kind of salary.

Snyder really wants Mike Shanahan to coach the Redskins. Is he worth $10,000,000 a year? In my estimation, no he isn't. That's double the pay that Gibbs and Spurrier received. But if Shanahan agrees to the terms, then I would assume that he'll have the Redskins back in the playoffs very soon. To earn that much money with dismal showings on the football field isn't acceptable at all. Shanahan would have to have the Redskins playing top level football and winning games, even in his first season as head coach. A lot will be expected of Shanahan with that kind of salary.

Ok

Just to play the other side. Would us making the playoffs be any sweeter if Snyder only payed Shanahan 5 mil ???

I can see where the price of contracts are important in regards to a player because if has ramifications in regards to the cap, locker room chemistry, a players worth etc.

But for a HC, I could care less.

My expectation of Mike Shanahan is going to be high because of his resume, not because of how much he is getting paid.

"Worth" is relative. If he gets us back to respectability, wins us a division title or two, gets us to an NFC Title game, and retires after a few years but puts the team in great shape for years to come, but not necessarily win a Super Bowl, would it be worth it? In my mind it absolutely would be. I am hoping thats the plan, for Shanahan to come in and coach us for about 3-5 years, turn the ship around, and then leave it for someone else to take over for the long term, like perhaps his son Kyle. In other words do what Joe Gibbs did, but with better front office support.

yes he did. 5 years, $50 million. I actually don't think that is too bad considering competition is driving the price up a bit and also considering Shanny likely becomes team president or some other title which gives him control over personell (still needing Allen to sign off in the end though). At least that's how I see it anyway.

We are PFT's source for info many times.

Heck, earlier today we were discussing Florio's obvious agenda and the Rooney Rule, jsteelz brought up the Bills, and like an hour later, maybe less, Florio/PFT has an article about the Bills and the Rooney rule and how they are ok and we still are not. lol.

maybe jsteelz is florio? :evilg:

First of all you need to recalabrate your expectations about the first season. This win now mentality has caused us to be the laughning stock of the NFL. We will totally be in rebuilding mode. I say in 3 years we'll be really competative but to come in thinking Shanny will turn this situation overnight is a pipe dream and setting yourself to be disappointed again. First Shanny needs to get his type of QB and bring in his players that fit his system and get rid of some of these Joe Gibbs veterans which means a complete overhall of the roster(Jim Zorn didn't have that option). Then they have to learn a totally new offensive system(different style of WCO) and that'll take at least a year and we finally have to draft the right players. I'll take 4-12 next year compared to having Snyderatto running things. Yes 50 mil is a lot of scratch but compared to all the FA busts that have come here over the years and collected over 250 Million combined I have no problem with them paying knowledgable and competent FO personel and coaches these type of dollars.

It is not my money and doesnt hurt the cap, why should we care what he is getting paid? He is one of the best coaches in the NFL, pay him what he wants.

Agree, why do we care about what Danny pays. It's not like we are in Danny's will and it will be coming out of our pockets someday. Don't worry about Danny he makes plenty of money though I guess its nice that so many are concerned about his take home pay. :)

It's one thing when we care about player salary because it effects the cap. But how does Shanny's salary effect us aside from concern that Danny will buy himself one less yacht, etc?

In 2008, Holmgren made $8 million at Seattle, now he's getting $10 mil as a GM. Fox is due $7 mil next year. Cowher is going to command at least $10 mil. Salary trends for tenured guys goes up every year. It's not unreasonable nor unexpected.

Archived