Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT: Shanahan on track to make more than $50 million from Redskins

I didn't think that it would be a one year deal :D

In fact, in the thread that jsteelz is referring to I also stated I thought it would be 50mil/5 years which jives with my original $10 mil/year back on Nov 1st.

yeah I read that wrong. Thought you said 2 years not 2 months:doh:

I know Shanahan is a great coach. But this seems like we are going back to just throwing money at problems and trying to win the offseason. It seems like every year Snyder tries to market the team by doing a big money singing. I sure hope it works this time around.

I don't consider this to be "throwing money at a problem", I consider this to be going out and getting a proven head coach at the market price. He knows offense (a major problem for the last decade) and he got to the playoffs with a Gus Frerotte/Brian Griese combo at QB and then went 13-3 with Jake Plummer at QB and stopped the Patriots from three-peating in 05 by beating them in the playoffs.

Chucky has already said he's staying in the booth, I doubt Cowher would come here, Dungy isn't coming here, and besides the three of them and Shanny there's no one else out there who's a proven coach, especially offensively. Billick? NO THANKS. Fassel? NO THANKS.

This is what fans wanted: Vinny fired, a proven GM hired, and a New coach that is a proven winner. Were getting all three and if it takes 50 mil or more to get a top flight head coach well that's a lot better than some the FA bust we've brought in over the years. Danny's investing in our front office and not high priced turds. Be thankful!!!

Yeah, we're getting what we wanted - we think. Or are we just being placated? And is Shanahan working Danny like he did for the 2nd rounder in the Portis trade? I'm not saying that we aren't starting down the right path, but I have an uneasy feeling about it all. I have a fear that we are just going to take a different path to sucking.

Big props to TK and jsteelz if this happens. You talk about being ahead of a story.

On another note, is Dan now just going from chasing high-priced FAs, to chasing high-priced coaches?

If this new group comes in and underperforms for the next several years, the last bastion of hope will only be for Dan to sell the team.

I believe that Holmgren's last deal in Seattle (signed in 06) averaged $8mil/year so $10mill/yr for 5 years for Shanny who could make $7mil/yr from Denver for the next 2 years playing golf doesn't seem so bad.

I'm actually surprised it's actually that low. If I were him I'd be asking for $15 a year for the first two years and 10 there after unless a devision title is won.

Who cares? Would it be worth it if he was coming for 7 million a year considering he would make that staying at home? Is he suddenly not going to do as good a job at 10 mil a year that he would have at say 5 mil a year?

It wouldn't matter if it was 50 mil a year, it isn't our money and it doesn't go against the cap, so I fail to see why it matters.

I know Shanahan is a great coach. But this seems like we are going back to just throwing money at problems and trying to win the offseason. It seems like every year Snyder tries to market the team by doing a big money singing. I sure hope it works this time around.

He's finally throwing money to a coach that can actually get the skins back to dominance, (even more so than Gibbs 2). He's throwing money in the right direction this time. Finally.

Can we stop using "Wow. Just wow"? Especially following it with more words? It's not "just wow" if you have more to say.

I hate it too. Along with "Hit the Nail on the head" and "this". I think anyone that says "this" should get a one day ban personally.

I hate it too. Along with "Hit the Nail on the head" and "this". I think anyone that says "this" should get a one day ban personally.

I say "this" all the time =\

But I think you guys hit the nail on the head with Shanny.

If he can win SBs....then all we can say is just WOW! :D

J/K ~

But yea, at least he is throwing it in the right direction for a change, doesn't matter to me what he spends, he has deep pockets and if it equals success, than I'm all for it.

He's finally throwing money to a coach that can actually get the skins back to dominance, (even more so than Gibbs 2). He's throwing money in the right direction this time. Finally.

To play a little devil's advocate here: Is Shanahan minus Elway any better than Wade Phillips or Norv Turner?

Archived