Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per PFT: Shanahan on track to make more than $50 million from Redskins

Well, he did follow Wade Phillips in Denver and did a lot better than Wade with Elway :)

OK. You got me there. But the point I was trying to make is that Shanahan has simply been a decent/above average coach and not a championship coach since Elway retired.

Tonight's coded message to Florio...

Blah, blah, blah, Mike Shanahan, former coach at Denver and blah blah. Blah, blah, Brandon Marshall, current player at Denver. Blah, blah, make the connection, blah and blah.

Blah, possible trade thread, and blah. Blah, blah, read it and post rumor, blah, blah, blah.

End of coded message.

Well, you gotta ask yourself, how good would Dungy be without Peyton? How good would Belichick be without Brady? Shanahan actually made Elway a much more steady and productive QB. He went 11-5 with Griese and 13-3 with Plummer. He went to the playoffs 4 different years without Elway. And the AFC West was really competitive at the time.

Of course there's no guarantee that he'll do well, but his track record is pretty damn good and you gotta play the odds. Odds are a guy that has had success before will have success again. At least those odds are better than trying to bring in a first time HC or an HC that hasn't won a SB.

$10 million per annum is insane money when compared to what other coaches are making, but nothing compared to what Snyder earns or the money the NFL has. And as others have pointed out, investing in the front office is smart.

I don't really care what Snyder pays anyone. It used to bother me when we'd sign a free agent for X dollars when he wasn't worth more than 2/3 of X, but Synder and team are masters of managing the cap so the values are my least concern.

We all knew getting a proven, big name HC with upside was going to be difficult. We all knew we'd have to pay either huge dollars and/or guarantee the contract because no one would want to come here with Snyder's track record of burning through coaches. So it all played out as expected, if the rumors end up true.

Gotta admit I'm oddly anxious for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and all the drama.

To play a little devil's advocate here: Is Shanahan minus Elway any better than Wade Phillips or Norv Turner?

He got to the playoffs with a Gus Frerotte/Brian Griese combo at QB and then went 13-3 with Jake Plummer, and stopped the Patriots from three-peating in 05 by beating them in the playoffs.

I'd say that's much better than Stay Puft, and probably better than Norv as well.

IMO it isn't only "can shanahan win us a SB". If he does, that is fantastic, but IF he does, we are still a ways away from that. Shanahan has had a lot of success, more with Elway, sure, but same goes for a ton of coaches.

What we should think about is, will Shanahan set us up to be successful after he's gone? If he stays 5 years and never wins superbowl, but leaves us with a stable franchise, plenty of young talent and makes us attractive for another coach to step in and pick up where he leaves off.

If he does, then its a success.

What we should think about is, will Shanahan set us up to be successful after he's gone? If he stays 5 years and never wins superbowl, but leaves us with a stable franchise, plenty of young talent and makes us attractive for another coach to step in and pick up where he leaves off. If he does, then its a success.

I think we're half-way there with Bruce Allen. He brings a show of professionalism to the franchise. And if Shanahan does come here for 5 years and $50 million, then that shows stability and profitability. We could go 8-8 for all five of those years and I think prospective coaches would be lining up.

But you're right, it's not just being able to nab good coaches. It's being able to build a solid foundation that a future coach can build on. I'm sure we'd all love to see some continuity with position coaches groomed as coordinators and coordinators groomed as head coaches and minimal turn-over year after year, like Indy or NE.

Shanahan in Denver wasn't a great example of that, but only time will tell. I'd have to think if we can sign Mike and he can sign Kyle, that could be the move for the future right there.

Archived