Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your thoughts on hipsters?

Spaceman Spiff

I like how they pretend they're allowed to get away with dressing like tools by pretending they're doing it "ironically." Well you're still doing it, you moron. Just because you pretend to be mocking certain parts of fashion/culture by mimicing them precisely doesn't mean you're not still doing exactly what they do.

Idiots.

Spiff, I think you may enjoy this site: http://www.latfh.com/

Don't have many thoughts. People spend a lot of time obsessing about them and emo kids for some reason though. Something about them makes people so angry - what I have no idea.

I am neither a hipster or emo but I do have some good friends who I would call hipsters. They are everywhere in Richmond, DC, and Austin - the 3 cities I have lived in recently. They are fine, normal people 99% of the time.

That being said there are many hipsters and emo kids who are ****ing annoying, but that is the same with any cultural trend/group in society.

I don't wear girls pants but the slim fit of a levi's 511 is nice. the 510's are just busting your balls though.

as for guys wearing girls pants. meh. thats ok if you're in middle school if you do it past the age of 18 I hope you like making minimum wage your whole life.

I don't wear girls pants but the slim fit of a levi's 511 is nice. the 510's are just busting your balls though.

as for guys wearing girls pants. meh. thats ok if you're in middle school if you do it past the age of 18 I hope you like making minimum wage your whole life.

no. it's never okay.

I don't approve [the outer appearance of], but really I don't approve of any fashion movement. There's just something about noticeable groups of subculture fashion trendiness that irks me. Maybe I'm just an *******....

It's important to note that once someone puts on the girly jeans they have crossed the line into "scenester" which is much worse.

ultimately though, I think they, like most visible trendy subculture groups are just people looking for an identity. It's really too bad, but we should work hard to try and integrate them with the rest of society. Hating on people for how they dress, even if they dress ridiculously is never a good thing to do.

Met some cool hipster kids in NOVA, all the hipster kids I encountered when I visited Syracuse were a bunch of douches though.

They have terrible taste in beer too. PBR just sucks ass.

I'm not sure how PBR became a hipster beer. IIRC, it used to be considered a redneck beer. I guess its part of that irony thing they like though, so whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

According to Time writer Dan Fletcher, "Hipsters manage to attract a loathing unique in its intensity. Critics have described the loosely defined group as smug, full of contradictions and, ultimately, the dead end of Western civilization."[4] Elise Thompson, an editor for the LA blog LAist argues that "people who came of age in the 70s and 80s punk rock movement seem to universally hate 'hipsters'", which she defines as people wearing "expensive 'alternative' fashion", going to the "latest, coolest, hippest bar...[and] listen[ing] to the latest, coolest, hippest band." Thompson argues that hipsters "...don’t seem to subscribe to any particular philosophy... [or] ...particular genre of music." Instead, she argues that they are "soldiers of fortune of style" who take up whatever is popular and in style, "appropriat[ing] the style" of past countercultural movements such as punk, while "discard[ing] everything that the style stood for."

Dudes should NOT wear tight pants. EVER.

!

I have been friends with hipsters for YEARS, and I still don't really know the difference between hipster and scenester.

Anyone?

Who knows.

They all blend together, IMO.

Frankly I could care less about what you're wearing and more about the person you are. Although I will say the people I have met who do dress like Spiff's example seem to have a higher ratio of douchebags.

BTW, I wish the wacky, big sunglasses fad would go away.

I think they should get AIDS.

Wow, hate much?

First off, I'd rather drink PBR than Bud or Bud Light or any of those other ****ty beers. PBR is still ****ty, but much more tolerable.

Secondly, Hipsters aren't bad people, for the most part. I knew quite a few people who would be categorized as hipsters, especially when I was in Atlanta. Most were cool people, others were douchebags ... granted I think you could say that for just about anyone.

Also, I've got to say, it seems as if the new Hipsterism is hating on Hipsters. So some of you might want to make sure you're wearing your skinny jeans while your doing it.

I don't know anyone like that.. probably an age thing.

But considering that when I was young I dressed punk,, spiked hair, ripped up clothes, safety pins, etc..

My desire to be different is all it was.. searching for identity. And it caused such a rift with my mom that we've still never gotten past it. She fought with me tooth and nail over how i chose to wear my hair, and if there's one thing it's taught me is that hair just isn't all that damned important... certainly not important enough to fracture your relationship with your kid.

Things like this are phases. My 13 yr old son doesn't wear girl's jeans and doesn't want to, thankfully. But if he did want to look like that for a while, I might tell him how it makes him look once or twice, but i would let him figure it out on his own. (Thankfully he loves the Beatles.. so if he wants to identify with them, fine by me. There's a lot worse.)

Young people need room to breathe, to try and grow into their hat. You can mold them when they're young, but there's a natural rebellion that happens in the teenage years. and I believe it's all up to the parents as to how far that rebellion goes. You can be rigid like my mom and cause nothing but strife, or you could relax a bit, and let the kid go thru his phase. Along the way there's liable to be some idiotic trendy crap that they might temporarily identify with. It happens to most of us. And thankfully, most of us figure out sooner or later that your look doesn't define you, that shocking everyone and playing a role is only fun for a little while, and then the real person you're going to be emerges.

~Bang

EMOs are worse, in my opinion. Always depressed, listening to stupid music, dressed in black. Always wearing those square rimmed glasses even though HALF OF THEM DON'T EVEN NEED GLASSES, but they have to complete the look.

This is still one of my favorite all time Google Images.

emo_lawn.jpg

Archived