Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are your thoughts on hipsters?

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone who doesnt wear nice looking comfortable clothes is an idiot IMO. I hate trends and fashion cliques. They are all stupid. You are not rebelling against anything or making a statement if lots of other people dress like you moron! Hip hop dress bothers me more than hipsters though. Dressing that way does make a statement. It says "Hello world, I think ignorance is cool!". I let every person that wears their pants down past their butt exactly where that fashion statement came from. Most of them dont realize it came from prison as a way to let Bubba know you were available! Tight jeans just cant be comfortable for a guy though. Then again, some guys still wear tighty whiteys so I dont guess its much different.

Anyone who doesnt wear nice looking comfortable clothes is an idiot IMO. I hate trends and fashion cliques. They are all stupid.
I think it's safe to assume, that the "nice looking, comfortable clothes" you usually wear, were at one point a trend and fashion, but because you like them, they are "smart".

Hip hop dress bothers me more than hipsters though. Dressing that way does make a statement. It says "Hello world, I think ignorance is cool!".

Hip Hop style bothers me the most (along with the music, classlessness of it, etc). I will say, when I grew up, I wore my pants over sized and baggy, when there was no "rap" to have a culture, because I lived on my skateboard and it helped me move around more. Couldn't have worn sweets, because I would have shreaded them and I didn't have money to buy clothes, just to skate in.

I let every person that wears their pants down past their butt exactly where that fashion statement came from. Most of them dont realize it came from prison as a way to let Bubba know you were available!

Not really.

Your entire post screams of ignorant and is fairly "stupid", but hey, at least you dress nice. I guess you can't read a book by the color.

What do you mean not really. Its true. The wearing of the pants past the ass comes from prison. And he is right about the whole letting Bubba know you were available.

What do you think it means or originates from?

Before there was a "gangsta culture", skaters had been doing it for another reason.

Maybe skaters were exempt and that's why gangsta culture does it, but hipsters or whatever are doing it because skaters started doing it a long time ago, not because of gangstas or bubba.

Before there was a "gangsta culture", skaters had been doing it for another reason.

Maybe skaters were exempt and that's why gangsta culture does it, but hipsters or whatever are doing it because skaters started doing it a long time ago, not because of gangstas or bubba.

Now you are confusing me? Hipsters don't sag there jeans past their ass.

So you are saying that the hip-hop culture that promotes ganster culture and attire, like Dickie shirts worn in prison (and I don't mean how skaters wore dickie pants or t-shirts but actual linen colored dickie shirst worn in prison INCLUDING full on jump suits which was around for a while) and saggin of the pants past the ass WITH boots no less originated from skaters?

I think you are confusing two similar styles but are ignoring where each originate from or really don't know.

Now you are confusing me? Hipsters don't sag there jeans past their ass.

So you are saying that the hip-hop culture that promotes ganster culture and attire, like Dickie shirts worn in prison (and I don't mean how skaters wore dickie pants or t-shirts but actual linen colored dickie shirst worn in prison INCLUDING full on jump suits which was around for a while) and saggin of the pants past the ass WITH boots no less originated from skaters?

I think you are confusing two similar styles but are ignoring where each originate from or really don't know.

I was saying "not really" about everybody who wears there pants below their ass, getting it from a prison culture thing.

I said, "it may be true for the gangsta culture", like was said, but isn't for all styles.

I did say "skaters did it for practical reasons and that was it".

I also said "some kids who do that today, have gotten it from the previous skater culture and not the gang/prison/gangsta culture", like was previously mentioned.

Worse than hipsters are yuppies.

My girlfriend's brother lives in NYC and he always talks about how awesome it is that New York has so many cultures that he can get some disgusting combination of Salmon and cheese and eggs at his favorite diner for breakfast.

He was bragging a few months ago that he got all of his clothes from a store that buys people's old clothing from the 70's and re-sells the "good" stuff. He was wearing a ****in yellow and light blue plaid shirt, these white bell bottom jeans that look like the **** from saturday night fever, and he got a pair of those thick ass eyeglass frames and made someone put his prescription in them. This is on top of his unkempt hair and grizzly adams beard.

He likes modern everything- especially houses and furniture. I commented once that I loved old houses built between roughly 1840 and 1930 and that if I had it my way I would have an old house with nice solid wood floors throughout, nice paintings that you might see from the renaissance to the enlightenment, and a lot of antique furniture. Its just what my style happens to be. He was like ugh who the hell wants that crap and went on to describe how he would paint his house all crazy colors, take out anything that is old, put in "sleek" and unusually shaped modern furniture, he would want a house that looks like a cube and is 100% flat on the outside surfaces.

I don't understand people like that. I don't know how it is possible that some people develop an affinity for everything I find insufferable.

I guess thats life though.

Why pick on 'hipsters' more than any other 'style'? And are they worse than adults who wear football jerseys in public?

If you hadn't shown a picture I would have thought by 'hipster' you were referring to Kerouac or Ginsberg. :)

According to Time writer Dan Fletcher, "Hipsters manage to attract a loathing unique in its intensity. Critics have described the loosely defined group as smug, full of contradictions and, ultimately, the dead end of Western civilization."[4] Elise Thompson, an editor for the LA blog LAist argues that "people who came of age in the 70s and 80s punk rock movement seem to universally hate 'hipsters'", which she defines as people wearing "expensive 'alternative' fashion", going to the "latest, coolest, hippest bar...[and] listen[ing] to the latest, coolest, hippest band." Thompson argues that hipsters "...don’t seem to subscribe to any particular philosophy... [or] ...particular genre of music." Instead, she argues that they are "soldiers of fortune of style" who take up whatever is popular and in style, "appropriat[ing] the style" of past countercultural movements such as punk, while "discard[ing] everything that the style stood for."[15]

-wiki "hipster"

I was saying "not really" about everybody who wears there pants below their ass, getting it from a prison culture thing.

I said, "it may be true for the gangsta culture", like was said, but isn't for all styles.

I did say "skaters did it for practical reasons and that was it".

I also said "some kids who do that today, have gotten it from the previous skater culture and not the gang/prison/gangsta culture", like was previously mentioned.

Just to be clear, I was not referring to wearing baggy clothes. Baggy clothes are comfortable and yes skaters wore them for utility. I am talking about pants so big that the waist line sits around the bottom of the butt cheek and shirts that are 3x on a person weighing about 130 lbs. Baggy clothes actually fit into the comfortable category in my mind. Skater clothes are some of the most comfortable clothes out there even though I do not wear them. I have considered some of the shoes especially because they are so comfortable! I wear tee shirts and jeans on the weekend (hoodies over top when its cold). I wear dress shirts and black slacks to work (relatively loose fitting and very comfortable) because I have to. When I go out and want to look nice, I wear a polo or a button up shirt. All my clothes are comfortable and not particularly trendy in any sense of the word.

Although I will admit I tried to be trendy in middle school at that age when kids try to fit in. I did a little bagging of my pants (not much though since thankfully my mom wouldn't let me buy them that big). I openly admit I was stupid at that age for wearing clothes just to fit in. There are people who change their entire wardrobes as the fashion trends change and I think that is just stupid. Who cares what everyone else thinks is hip and cool?

Although I will admit I tried to be trendy in middle school at that age when kids try to fit in. I did a little bagging of my pants (not much though since thankfully my mom wouldn't let me buy them that big). I openly admit I was stupid at that age for wearing clothes just to fit in. There are people who change their entire wardrobes as the fashion trends change and I think that is just stupid. Who cares what everyone else thinks is hip and cool?

All good. Your first post just came off a little aggressive and judgmental.

Me? I've almost always looked some kind of goofy nonconformist style.

When I was young, I was a Punk and a Skater. Having a Mohawk in the early 80's got your ass kicked by every other group, but I did it any, because it truly did piss people off for no real reason.

The last ten years I looked like a greaser. Still wore the jeans and black T shirts I always wore, but started to grease back my hair. Very functional, when you work on cars or get into fights a lot.

Now, I'm finally starting to relax. I don't care if my hair is combed perfectly, I don't always tuck my shirt in, things like that. I would say I definitely have style, but not a lot of fashion.

-wiki "hipster"

"appropriat[ing] the style" of past countercultural movements such as punk, while "discard[ing] everything that the style stood for."[15]

OMG, they're not true punks, call the fashion police.

What's a punk anyway? Unless you saw the Sex Pistols live in London are you a fake wannabee punk?

All good. Your first post just came off a little aggressive and judgmental.

Me? I've almost always looked some kind of goofy nonconformist style.

When I was young, I was a Punk and a Skater. Having a Mohawk in the early 80's got your ass kicked by every other group, but I did it any, because it truly did piss people off for no real reason.

The last ten years I looked like a greaser. Still wore the jeans and black T shirts I always wore, but started to grease back my hair. Very functional, when you work on cars or get into fights a lot.

Now, I'm finally starting to relax. I don't care if my hair is combed perfectly, I don't always tuck my shirt in, things like that. I would say I definitely have style, but not a lot of fashion.

My initial thoughts always do come off that way and its because they are meant to grab attention. If what I say is not shocking, why listen right? Then I can clarify and explain and by the time we are done, I have gotten my point across (whether you agree or not). If it doesnt grab your attention at first, then you skate right past it without a second thought right? lol

My initial thoughts always do come off that way and its because they are meant to grab attention. If what I say is not shocking, why listen right? Then I can clarify and explain and by the time we are done, I have gotten my point across (whether you agree or not). If it doesnt grab your attention at first, then you skate right past it without a second thought right? lol
Not really.

What's a punk anyway? Unless you saw the Sex Pistols live in London are you a fake wannabee punk?

Speaking as a punk from the late 70s / early 80s.. it really was pretty much about trashing everything that came before you, and calling it all a bunch of ****.

In your face obnoxious, just for the sake of it.

Course, most of us didn't care about any of that stuff, either. I wasn't necessarily obnoxious, although I did enjoy some of the shock value. Me, I was just glad to hear some stripped down rock and roll. Just before I got into punk I saw Rush for the second time. They were good, back then they had some good music, but what struck me more than anything was this sense of being aloof from everyone in the crowd, and half the people in the crowd were so taken by the cerebral aspects of Rush's lyrics that they themselves also adopted this aloofness and to be perfectly honest, a serious condescension towards anyone who did not properly appreciate the lyrics and the intricacies of the music. (I find it funny, especially in looking back at these "concept albums" that were supposed to be so hoity toity.. and as an adult you realize what a bunch of dreamy know-nothing ramblings many of them were.)

Well, that was a huge turnoff for me, and the next month my first real experience with "punk" was to go to a Ramones show at the old Wax Museum in DC.

They totally blew me away, and I realized that punk music wasn't about an attitude, it was about making rock and roll accessible again. They brought the art back to the people, and wallowed in it with us. My god, people were DANCING instead of sitting still and appreciating, jumping on and off the stage.. it was glorious chaos. Energy unlike anything I'd experienced before, or since for that matter. And it was SIMPLE. No drum solo, no ten minute guitar solo, no mist on the friggin stage or trippy lights, no show at all except for those four guys. No message, nothing but great rock and roll.

In the 70s when "classic" rock was in it's heyday, each band was trying to come up with something more far out, more trippy, and more intricate than everyone else Concept albums were all the rage, big gigantic monstrosities that supposedly had a point buried in it... usually proving nothing but how insipid and shallow the writer actually was. Ridiculously long masturbatory jams.. it got tiresome. The idea that to be a musician you had to be a virtuoso or some sort of visionary needed to be destroyed.

And the Ramones, and the Clash and the Damned,bands like this did so beautifully. (Sex Pistols were fun, but they were manufactured. But even though they were built by Malcolm McClaren for the purpose of cashing in, Johnny Rotten sure as hell made it fun.) It reminded all of us that more than any other art form, rock and roll was for the people, and BY the people. We could ALL do it, we could ALL enjoy the freedom and the ecstasy of youth that cranking out some 3 chord rock and roll can bring.

And I loved it. Gabba Gabba HEY.

~Bang

Gabba Gabba HEY.

~Bang

Funny you should mention the Ramones. I've seen some folks claim that they weren't hardcore enough to be "true punk". :hysterical:

How about people get the **** over themselves and enjoy life.

The Ramones 'It's Alive' album from the Rainbow in London on New Years' Eve in '77 is one on my all time favorites.

My favorite punk band was probably the Undertones from Derry. They used to sing songs about chocolate, girls and other **** teenagers cared about. As for their radical clothing, here's a promo video of the greatest song ever written :) with the lead vocalist Fergal Sharkey sporting a nice white turtleneck sweater.

And if you wanted a more serious tone, Stiff Little Fingers from Belfast was awesome.

- LOL at the audience

Funny you should mention the Ramones. I've seen some folks claim that they weren't hardcore enough to be "true punk". :hysterical:

How about people get the **** over themselves and enjoy life.

The Ramones 'It's Alive' album from the Rainbow in London on New Years' Eve in '77 is one on my all time favorites.

My favorite punk band was probably the Undertones from Derry. They used to sing songs about chocolate, girls and other **** teenagers cared about. As for their radical clothing, here's a promo video of the greatest song ever written :) with the lead vocalist Fergal Sharkey sporting a nice white turtleneck sweater.

And if you wanted a more serious tone, Stiff Little Fingers from Belfast was awesome.

- LOL at the audience

ITS ALIVE is one of the true greats. It really is. I own it on vinyl, and even though i have nothing to play it on, I will never ever get rid of it.

Enjoy life, that is indeed what it was all about.

~Bang

Archived