Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Downloading Music Question

Grizz

My son's each got a Ipod touch for Christmas from their Grandparents. Now they each want to go out to the itunes store and start downloading. At .99 ea song I am not to thrilled. Someone told me about the site Rhapsody. It appears that its unlimited downloads for 1 monthly fee of $14.99 ea month. Is this site any good or are their better options? Also since its 2 ipods would it be 2 separate fees or can I download to both for just 1 fee? Thanks

:dallasuck

Yeah, because downloading music for free makes complete sense :mad:

Honestly, do you folks have jobs, or have you ever created anything and asked someone to pay for it? Downloading music for free is the exact same as walking in a store and stealing a product off the shelf. There is absolutely ZERO justification for downloading albums. Sure you want to preview stuff before you make a purchase but with so many available options to preview music, there isn't a reason to download an album to preview it.

As often as everyone complains about how ****ty the music industry is right now because of the lack of talent and originality, you would think that when a good artist comes around, people would spring the $13 and get the album. Instead, they continue to piledrive the good artists by not buying their albums. I don't care whether or not you go to concerts and buy their merchandise. Record labels do not see that money. Record labels see money from album sales. Album sales allow bands to record more albums. If you want your favorite artists to continue making albums and making a living doing what they love, buy their album.

Honestly, do you folks have jobs, or have you ever created anything and asked someone to pay for it? Downloading music for free is the exact same as walking in a store and stealing a product off the shelf. There is absolutely ZERO justification for downloading albums. Sure you want to preview stuff before you make a purchase but with so many available options to preview music, there isn't a reason to download an album to preview it.

Kanye West doesn't need any of my money.

J-live doesn't either but he'll get it. I buy albums like Diamond District...Below the Heavens...s.o.n.o.g.r.a.m. etc.

And I will continue to buy the albums of the artists which I love.

I understand your point of view Blackest Eyes. You are a musician, of course you will have that point of view. Me, I'm in customer service. In particular, I'm in the auto industry. People need help with their cars all the time. There are things that I do for people without asking for payment. I'll install parts for them. I'll replace headlights, windshield wipers, turn signals for nothing other than the cost of parts. Furthermore, I will sometimes even perform diagnostics for free. Those nasty check engine lights? Sometimes I'll walk right out to a customer's car, hook the scanner up and see what code it is... then I'll tell them what is the most likely problem. The information I give to customers will sometimes enable them to fix their own vehicle, obviously at no profit to the repair shop that I manage.

These are all things that people do not know how to do themselves. These are things that people should probably pay for. I'll do these things for free.

Add to that, the little "ask a mechanic" thread that I created. I don't ask anything in return for the advice that I (and others) give out. A lot of the information I give out in that thread is information you'd likely have to pay for... if you could trust the source.

Now as it relates to pirated music. I think that there is something that has ruined the quality of music much more than the internet. That would be the record companies themselves. They force artists to release music that is "friendly" to the public. They site the internet as a reason that artists cannot expand their style of music and expand. Furthermore, record companies will only sign new talent that sounds "mainstream". They are hedging their bets on releasing music that appeals to young people who are very fickle about the music they listen to.

I recorded my music to tape when I was younger. They had tape players that had dual cassettes for recording. You could record from tape to tape, you could record from radio to tape. The only difference between then and now is you don't have to wait for your favorite song on the radio now.

The only excuse that the record industry has is itself. If bands like Metallica would continue making quality music, they wouldn't have to worry about their record sales declining and thus blame people downloading their art illegally.

Perhaps I am a fool to assume that an industry that is so desperate for good talent should do something good for it's clients. Perhaps it would make the industry as a whole better.

Grizz, go ahead and give Rhapsody a shot. They'll let give you a 14-day trial to figure out whether or not you like the service before you buy in. It's definitely not a bad way to get your music fix.

I will say, however, that Rhapsody isn't always the most economical option for a few reasons you may or may not have considered. First and foremost, you have to remember that the service is essentially a rental service. You don't actually own any of what you're paying for and (barring some creative pirating) you won't be able to listen to your music if you cancel the plan. You also have to remember that unless you listen to an average of $15 a month worth of music you haven't played/downloaded/streamed before, you'll be spending more than the equivalent iTunes cost.

It's not as easy to keep up with that $15 a month as it may sound when you consider that you'll have to keep it up over a period of years. Although it will almost certainly be easier with your sons around.

download them illegally..its freeeeee :silly:

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/free-youtube-to-mp3-converter.htm

free youtube to mp3 converter!

Merry Christmas. haha

If you have any appreciation for audio quality this is far from an ideal solution.

um...

limewire.com

no, its not legal. no, you wont get caught.

I can say that of the thousands of songs I have in my iTunes library, I have never paid to download any of them.

Words cannot describe how bad the Gnutella network is. You are a terrible person for using it.

Never used a xerox or checked a book out from the library??

Don't let your kids use limewire unless you want them to cripple your PC with viruses.

It will happen...eventually.

First, I would simply suggest that you tell your kids to ask your friends for MP3s. Not sure how old they are, but if they're middle school to high school age, they're going to have some music. If they have a $8 thumb drive, they can go to their friend's house and grab 4GB worth of music on their thumb drive if they want what they have.

Another thing you can do is rip the CDs your kids may already have. I use CDex to rip my CD collection a few years ago. I'm sure its still a good product. Pretty simple process. Insert CD. Use the "Find album info" feature for it to automatically tag each track, then click the button to rip all the tracks to Mp3s. If they have CDs that they listen to, this is definitely something I'd suggest to do first.

My son's each got a Ipod touch for Christmas from their Grandparents. Now they each want to go out to the itunes store and start downloading. At .99 ea song I am not to thrilled. Someone told me about the site Rhapsody. It appears that its unlimited downloads for 1 monthly fee of $14.99 ea month. Is this site any good or are their better options? Also since its 2 ipods would it be 2 separate fees or can I download to both for just 1 fee? Thanks

:dallasuck

Rhapsody >>>>>> iTunes

Grizz, go ahead and give Rhapsody a shot. They'll let give you a 14-day trial to figure out whether or not you like the service before you buy in. It's definitely not a bad way to get your music fix.

I will say, however, that Rhapsody isn't always the most economical option for a few reasons you may or may not have considered. First and foremost, you have to remember that the service is essentially a rental service. You don't actually own any of what you're paying for and (barring some creative pirating) you won't be able to listen to your music if you cancel the plan. You also have to remember that unless you listen to an average of $15 a month worth of music you haven't played/downloaded/streamed before, you'll be spending more than the equivalent iTunes cost.

It's not as easy to keep up with that $15 a month as it may sound when you consider that you'll have to keep it up over a period of years. Although it will almost certainly be easier with your sons around.

If you have any appreciation for audio quality this is far from an ideal solution.

Words cannot describe how bad the Gnutella network is. You are a terrible person for using it.

True but Rhapsody is the best of both worlds because you can download and KEEP the songs in MP3 format if you want.

Archived