Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Downloading Music Question

Grizz

So it's ok to steal it the 2nd time around just because you paid for it once? How does that logic apply to the real world?

Think of it like software. You buy a software package. What are you buying, really? You're buying the software, not the plastic it came on.

So, you install it, everything is fine. Then your HD crashes a week later. You buy a new HD and go to reinstall your software, and the CD has a scratch and won't read.

Is it fair to have to go buy a whole new software package at retail price?

I don't think so.

Think of it like software. You buy a software package. What are you buying, really? You're buying the software, not the plastic it came on.

So, you install it, everything is fine. Then your HD crashes a week later. You buy a new HD and go to reinstall your software, and the CD has a scratch and won't read.

I don't think so.

Well technically you are buying a piece of plastic with data on it, so yeah you did buy a piece of plastic.

Let's not get sidetracked though, we're talking about illegally downloading music, software, movies, etc. Again, I find it funny the lengths some will go to in order to rationalize stealing, but that's just me.

I don't think so.

Thats why software companies will replace your product. They definitely don't want to lead you into the den of iniquity ;)

Here's my question. Lets say I bought a CD, made a digital copy and put it on my ipod. This is fine right?

Now I bougt a CD, the CD was damaged, lost, stolen before I could make a digital copy. Why exactly can't I go to a site that has the music that I have legally paid for once and download the albums?

Any album I have not bought previously I will either buy at the store as a CD or on itunes.

Titaw,

That example sounds perfectly legal and is an example of what Congress would consider "fair use". I'm not exactly sure about downloading the damaged albums. The problem with P2P is that not only are you downloading, but you are uploading. It's the uploading that consists of "copyright infringement". You would have a right to download a copy but you wouldn't have any right to upload a copy.

There are still a number of grey areas in the law and courts. For instance, one of the judges in the RIAA case (I think it was Tenenbaum?) said she would be sympathetic to the argument of someone sampling music by downloading... however he didn't make that argument.

As long as you move the file from the P2P site to your personal computer (out of the shared folders into personal folders you make the files unavailable for uploading.

I make sure that I am very safe with my downloads and if I could go back in time and save my cd collection I would.

Let's not get sidetracked though, we're talking about illegally downloading music, software, movies, etc. ...

You asked for a real-world example.

Some of us bought quite a bit of music on vinyl. The technology changes. So - now we have to buy it all over again and pay the same as somebody who never bought it?

Doesn't seem right. We've already purchased it. We've compensated the artist.

You asked for a real-world example.

Some of us bought quite a bit of music on vinyl. The technology changes. So - now we have to buy it all over again and pay the same as somebody who never bought it?

Doesn't seem right. We've already purchased it. We've compensated the artist.

By that premise lets bit torrent every video tape, dvd, laserdisc we ever purchased, every album....makes complete sense. We bought it once in our lives, gives us the rights to copies of it forever.

Also let me download audio versions of all the books I ever bought, afterall I compensated the artist once.

Lets ignore the fact that those who get compensated for that vinyl you bought are different than who got compensated for a DVD. The money doesn't just go to the artist.

Lets also ignore where we are getting these copies to replace our long lost copies.

If you can justify it's legality in your head, then it makes sense.

Just for everyone's information, when you buy media, you aren't buying it's rights forever.

I am really surprised people justify crime, just because it's easy crime.

Scenario 3300: blah blah blah..

Did you pay for it?

Yes - 99.9% of the time you'd get it for free 2nd time anyway on this kinda stuff.

No - there yah go.

I've paid for WarlordsIII two or three times now because the CD is necessary and i treat it badly.... (its worth it to me to spend the 10$)

CityofHeroes i can go online and get a new copy free...

It depends on how its sold.

Let's not get carried away. What I'm saying is it's not necessarily always black and white. I think it's clear - my point is sometimes it's black and white, but sometimes I think there can be a bit of a grey area here regarding purchasing music for the first time, and then purchasing the same exact music a second time.

There is definitely a ton of grey area here. And by the way I'm done with buying movies, Blu-ray had better be the dominant format for a long while dammit!! LOL

However what is B&W for me is if you are downloading a song or CD for the first time, you didn't own it previously, and you are not paying for it, that's wrong.

There is definitely a ton of grey area here. And by the way I'm done with buying movies, Blu-ray had better be the dominant format for a long while dammit!! LOL

However what is B&W for me is if you are downloading a song or CD for the first time, you didn't own it previously, and you are not paying for it, that's wrong.

Agreed.

Archived