Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Per Adam Shefter: Dan Snyder told Allen he will step back (merged)

TSO

Man I hope you're right. We need some stability. I can't take going to Christmas with my in-laws in Philly in two days for many more years like this. Just sitting around that table with them. Ugggghhh. I wanna puke.

LOL!!! if you do heave/puke...eat pea soup or something (philly green) ;)

maybe Dan really does read the boards and he might actually have listened this time...Good job danny boy!

Seems like it, doesn't it? Everyone here's been wishing for the same things: no Cerrato, a real GM, Danny steps back from X's and O's and focuses on the business side of owning a franchise, and after that, let the chips fall where they may.

Last night's embarrassment aside, I'm happy that the long-term picture is looking a little less bleak at least.

I'm slowing coming around to the idea of Shanny. Reminds me of when we hired Schottenheimer: I wasn't thrilled about him, but figured, hey, at least he's a seasoned coach. And Shanny's won Super Bowls at least.

Interesting to see how a thread about Dan Snyder saying he'll step back and be hands off manages only three pages and ends up on the tail end of The Stadium.

Where would this be had it been Adam Shefter reporting Snyder and Allen will be working very closely together? Any guess on the post count after 24 hrs? ;)

Shanahan's going to be the "real" GM doing the draft and stuff. He needs Allen to find loopholes to satisfy his spending sprees.

I thought there were rumors that they might decide to bring in another FO hire to handle personnel. Wasn't that mentioned on the day Allen was hired? Maybe assembling the roster will be a team project (minus the owner) between Allen, a player personnel person, and Shanahan...

I think that would be ideal. Then you have:

Snyder (owner)

Allen (VP of Football Ops and General Manager)

Someone (Head of Player Personnel...oversees all personnel departments)

Shanahan (Head Coach)

And, according to Casserly (who probably hates Snyder more than anyone) says that total control is written into Allen's contract. (He and Allen sat down and talked) That includes hiring the coach and players and scouting personell. So, maybe Dan wants Shanahan, and hired a guy that he knew also wanted Shanahan.

The other rumors are that we're going to be hiring someone to run the personnel aquisition side, Depaul (Chicago, I hope not) or Williams (Tampa Bay, meh) or DeCosta (Ravens !!!!). Maybe they'll even stick with Scott Campbell who's been pretty good, IMO.

What evidence do you have for that?

It was an article that came out the day after Vinny was hired, which has since been debunked by Vinny and several media people. Vinny is getting paid to the end of his contract (in Feb) and then he's off on his own.

He said the same thing last night before the game. I'd be surprised if Shanahan isn't here within minutes of us being able to hire him legally.

there's nothing to prevent them from doing it now.

they just have to satisfy the rooney rule, which means they can't do what they did with bruce allen. they'll have to fire zorn and have the vacancy period where they can interview minorities. then they can hire shanahan.

which i think is stupid. you should be able to hire who you want, regardless of their skin color. i understand racism is still alive in this country, but i honestly think the days that required this sort of rule are pretty much gone. there are plenty of black coaches (both head coches and assistants) in the league, and the rule is just being made a mockery off now.

there's nothing to prevent them from doing it now.

they just have to satisfy the rooney rule, which means they can't do what they did with bruce allen. they'll have to fire zorn and have the vacancy period where they can interview minorities. then they can hire shanahan.

which i think is stupid. you should be able to hire who you want, regardless of their skin color. i understand racism is still alive in this country, but i honestly think the days that required this sort of rule are pretty much gone. there are plenty of black coaches (both head coches and assistants) in the league, and the rule is just being made a mockery off now.

To start with, I think Snyder has proven repeatedly that he can abide by the rules somehow (or sidestep them thru some weird loophole) & still hire someone at 12:01am. He'll interview someone like Denny Green over a breakfast at IHOP & that'll be the end of it.

As far as not needing the rule anymore, while I understand where you are coming from to a degree, racism is still very much alive & there are still a lot of "good ole boys" in this League that would LOVE to not be forced into interviewing minorities.

The difference this time is that he won't have Vinny here to enable the impulse to go after the big names. I think his fantasy football days are over and they need to be. Allen won't let that happen, nor will Shanahan IF he's the next head coach.

question.....was Bruce Allen the GM in Oakland when they made the Randy Moss trade?

To start with, I think Snyder has proven repeatedly that he can abide by the rules somehow (or sidestep them thru some weird loophole) & still hire someone at 12:01am. He'll interview someone like Denny Green over a breakfast at IHOP & that'll be the end of it.

As far as not needing the rule anymore, while I understand where you are coming from to a degree, racism is still very much alive & there are still a lot of "good ole boys" in this League that would LOVE to not be forced into interviewing minorities.

Well, let's leave the "racism" talk in the Tailgate.

I agree that Snyder will do what is required to hire the man he wants.

tell that to mike tomlin... the story has it the steelers all but had grimm's name on the dotted line, but to satisfy their own rule, interviewed tomlin and realized he was a better fit...

personally I see no problem with the rule... it doesn't force you to hire anyone, only consider people who might not be within your radar due to being in the minority...

tell that to mike tomlin... the story has it the steelers all but had grimm's name on the dotted line, but to satisfy their own rule, interviewed tomlin and realized he was a better fit...

personally I see no problem with the rule... it doesn't force you to hire anyone, only consider people who might not be within your radar due to being in the minority...

If you really want to talk about the rumor...the one I heard was that the Steelers interviewed both guys and still preferred Grimm. However, there was pressure revolving around their own rule so they were ultimately swayed to hire the minority candidate. It was so confusing that, apparently, Grimm thought he had the job for several hours.

Snyder has said this before. I love the dude, but it was apparent when answering the direct question about where the buck stops in the allen press conference:

"when we make a decision....when HE makes a decision....its a club decision, its a redskins decision"

Snyder is still very much involved, believe that. He may take a couple steps back, but he is not going to be hands off.

I hate to say it, but with about 8 games left to go, Steve Czaban nailed it, he said that the remained games weren't a schedule, but a sentence.

God, let this nightmare be over.

That's funny.

I am slightly looking forward to Sunday night's game just because there's a chance (not a good one) that we can cripple Dallas' playoff hopes. Once that game ends though, I'd just prefer that it be January 4 and hear what's going to happen moving forward.

Archived