Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaws takes a second look at Jason.

Mad Mike

BTW. Let's not forget that he is really developing chemistry with Davis and Thomas. A vital part of a QB's success is to be on the same page with his pass catchers. Obviously.

Absolutely.

I would say that of the three second rounders, Kelly still looks to be the lame duck of the bunch... But I'm not even ready to give up on him yet. Campbell has found him a few times. The chemistry is now there. So unless we're REALLY going to upgrade at the QB position, it won't be worth a change.

So, you're advocating the resigning of Campbell either way. You're not one of the people I'm referring to, although I didn't make that clear.

I would say open competition next year between Brennan and Campbell is a given. And perhaps even a third party QB (I'd like to see Brooks Bollinger involved in a competition) and perhaps even a rookie.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to a one year contract, given that there is a true qb competition.

And if Shanahan was our coach, and he wanted Cutler again, I wouldn't be opposed to offering them our first round pick, if the Bears have given up on him. It is possible that they would like to recoup something for him, and if Shanahan says he is the one....I would like that too.

Controversial, but if we can steal him, and Shanahan believes he can make him a star again like in Denver, I would support that. Allen is a good negotiator.

Absolutely.

I would say that of the three second rounders, Kelly still looks to be the lame duck of the bunch... But I'm not even ready to give up on him yet. Campbell has found him a few times. The chemistry is now there. So unless we're REALLY going to upgrade at the QB position, it won't be worth a change.

Kelly does have some great hands, but I see some uncertainty in his route running. Thomas has really blown me away of late with his routes, hands and tenacity for YACS.

I know this won't be popular on here, but Davis looks like he could be more of a complete TE than Cooley. His hands have glue on them, he really knows how to find that open space, he's a beast in the redzone and his blocking gets better each week. Love #47, but he seems to be a bit lazy sometimes with his blocking.

Jaws, in a way, said what I have been saying all along.

Don't bring a guy in unless you know that guy will be better. JC is better than a number of starting QB's in the league. Is he top 10, no. He is right in the middle or an average NFL QB.

What I like to see is that he has gotten better every year he has played. Does it take him a while to learn, yes. But, keep him in the same offensive system and let him continue to learn.

None of the QB's coming out impress me this year. Why take a chance on a rookie that might not be better than JC.

i could be wrong here, but i thought JC is allowed to audible out of plays...the only time he isn't allowed is in the red zone, so i'm not sure what Portis is talking about when he said he hasn't heard audible since Denver

didn't JC audible out of a pass play into a run play in the 1st game of the season vs Giants on 3rd & 8? i've also seen him make a lot of audibles in other games as well

That's why its important to know iffff we draft qb expect him to be running for his life! Expect a beating due to our poor oline. Let's face it like campbell or not he's taken some nasty hits over the year. Does anyone think a rookie wouldn't be shell shocked with all the hits campbell has taken?

i could be wrong here, but i thought JC is allowed to audible out of plays...the only time he isn't allowed is in the red zone, so i'm not sure what Portis is talking about when he said he hasn't heard audible since Denver

didn't JC audible out of a pass play into a run play in the 1st game of the season vs Giants on 3rd & 8? i've also seen him make a lot of audibles in other games as well

Our new GM, and the new coach need to get to the bottom of that quickly, and find out what is going on.

If it is a directive by the crazy coaching staff, that is one thing that can be corrected immediately.

If JC can't mentally grasp audibles, then he needs to go.

It is unacceptable to have a 5 year guy unable to audible out of a bad play when he sees it.

That kind of thing can kill a team.

You suck Vinny. You have always sucked. Never forget that, you loser.

certain players/qbs arent just good at certain things. audible in JS's case could be one of them. the fact is, if he shows signs of being a good QB that calls audibles, then there is no reason why coaches should let him.

And if Shanahan was our coach, and he wanted Cutler again, I wouldn't be opposed to offering them our first round pick, if the Bears have given up on him. It is possible that they would like to recoup something for him, and if Shanahan says he is the one....I would like that too.

I want nothing - nothing to do with Jay Cutler. We lucked out on not getting him last time around. Let's not tempt fate. If Vinny were still here, I'd be scared that this could be a real possibility. Giving up a first rounder for a QB that has proven he's not as good as people thought he was is beyond unfathomable.

He doesn't have Brandon Marshall here.

He has good receivers, better ones than he has in Chicago, but not a top 5 receiver...

Giving up our first rounder, which could very well be used on OL depth or in a trade down, for a QB that's worse than Campbell is not the answer. At all.

The one thing I noticed in the Raiders game was that he was actually planting his feet correctly and stepping into his throws. Even when JC was scrambling, his best throws were a result of him going forward, not backwards or sideways. I'm no expert, but maybe defenses have keyed on this by putting someone in his face all the time. One game does not prove success but I will say that Zorn has helped JC to get rid of a few bad habits. I just hope those old habits don't raise their ugly head tonight and next week.

I want nothing - nothing to do with Jay Cutler. We lucked out on not getting him last time around. Let's not tempt fate. If Vinny were still here, I'd be scared that this could be a real possibility. Giving up a first rounder for a QB that has proven he's not as good as people thought he was is beyond unfathomable.

Giving up our first rounder, which could very well be used on OL depth or in a trade down, for a QB that's worse than Campbell is not the answer. At all.

I am all for o-line.

But Shanahan made Cutler a star.

I see no reason why he couldn't do it again. And I certainly don't believe he is worse than JC.

Sure, Desean Jackson over MK would have helped, but if he believes in him, and we can really steal him.....I would support that.

Amazing to think that Campbell is even as good as he is, given that he only just recently received the right to call audibles. Imagine if he had full authority to call audibles whenever he wanted.
Candle's had three different head coaches. That none of them apparently gave JC that authority is curious.
you completely missed his points, of better protection and a stable consistent environment, to reach his true potential.

5 years.... didn't play his first year and a half.

has had 2 HC , 3 different systems, 3 or 4 different OC, play callers and QB coaches.

Manning, (both), Brady, McNabb, Rivers, Favre, all had little to no change their first 5 years while learning,..... and beyond.

Saying "5 years" doesn't mean squat without context. You have to look at the situations in those 5 years, every time he and the team start getting comfortable there has been a change.

I think it's become a meme that Candle takes any more vicious hits than average QBs. Watch other games, where QBs not named Brady consistently get hit after they throw. Look at JC's low sack numbers. Rothlisberger, Rodgers, and Gradkowski would KILL to have the protection that Candle gets now.

It didn't take the Mannings, Brady, McNabb, Rivers, or Favre 5 years to get to average in the NFL. Nor do Flacco and Ryan have the learning curve you imply is necessary.

Change is part of the NFL, especially for teams with overall losing records like ours.

Just like your input.

Campbell has improved every single year, contrary to what your worthless, drive-by post states.

Statistically, he's improved every year. Yet he's sitting at 16th in QB rating now. I forget if he was in the twenties or high teens earlier seasons, or maybe QB stats across the board have improved every year.

Candle's played well enough the last two games to warrant a look as our #1 next year. Sunk cost (the 5 years we've had him) shouldn't figure into it. It should be a case of: If he's good now, we should keep him.

One thing that may be kind of a shame: If JC doesn't play lights out, we may let him go even if he plays OK the next three games. If we get a first round draft pick in exchange. Or if the new HC wants to pick his own QB. Again sunk cost shouldn't be a factor, but if after all this time, Candle plays well 5-6 games in a row, letting him go would seem weird.

'Course even if Candle plays lights out and stays, we should bring in some kind of alternative. It's ridiculous not to have another option for a QB that's been so unclutch, and was outplayed the one time we started another in his place for a series of games.

I know everyone always says Jason is a 5 yr QB but, in reality this is only his 3rd full year and only his 2nd yr in the same system. He sat on the bench his rookie year and the next year he came in mid-season to replace Brunell. The following year he got injured before seasons end and TC came in and finished the season. I think if we look at it that way, Jason in his second year has made a tremendous improvement. Too bad it's probably going to get blown up again after this season.

It's disappointing that JC has been a slow learner.

Regardless if the environment and system changes had something to do with it, it is depressing to think that it would take any first round QB 5 years in time to get where he is today.

I don't find that acceptable.

Imagine if every qb took five years to partially develop.

You mean like Aaron Rodgers?

Of course, he sat on the bench for three years and had the same system in place the whole time.

It's disappointing that JC has been a slow learner.

Regardless if the environment and system changes had something to do with it, it is depressing to think that it would take any first round QB 5 years in time to get where he is today.

I don't find that acceptable.

Imagine if every qb took five years to partially develop.

i dunno. drew brees had a qb rating of 67.7 with 11 TD's and 15 INT's at the end of his 3rd year.

and he was in the same system, with the same coaches, etc.

oh, and he had the benefit of a halfway decent running game with that tomlinson fella.

jc hasnt had that.

Bubba makes a great point here, What if JC is just getting comfortable in the system now?

I would like to see him here at least another year with Zorn.

What if tthese guys are starting to pull it together after the last 2 years?

I do not want to start all over again and watch more losing.

+1. Thank You. I feel the same.

If you think more bench sitting, and less game experience equals a better QB, you would probably be alone in that assessment.

Look, I understand I'll never change your or others opinions of JC...but, the fact of the matter is, he can win games when given adequate talent around him.

Oh, and I keep hearing how the fanbase will be so patient should we start a rookie next year and go 2-14...:rolleyes:

Right.

ES...will tolerate 2-14?

Don't throw those pitch forks away just yet.

Look, I understand I'll never change your or others opinions of JC...but, the fact of the matter is, he can win games when given adequate talent around him.

Oh, and I keep hearing how the fanbase will be so patient should we start a rookie next year and go 2-14...:rolleyes:

Right.

ES...will tolerate 2-14?

I am not sure that I have seen him win a game yet tr1.

I have seen Portis lead this team in early 2008, while JC averaged only 1 td a game. Certainly 1 td a game wasn't winning anything.

I have seen us look better lately, although still not getting many wins, with Betts, Rock and Ganther carrying us.

With the sole exception of the Detroit game years ago, I have yet to see JC actually win a game.

Right.

ES...will tolerate 2-14?

If you would stop with your Cowboys obsession you would see that many people are giving JC A LOT of credit based on his recent play. There is no other way to call it other then blind hatred.

Archived