Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unfortunate Event

daddys little skins fan

So... I'm 1000 miles away in Missouri. Ready to leave home for Maryland on Friday. Get in town Saturday. Just in time for the Giants game on Monday. Excited to get back home to papa MTH and the rest of the fam. Cool.

It's finals week. I'm currently on my fourth all nighter in the past week. Very busy. Little time for inconveniences.

A drunk guys slams into the side of my car tonight while I was parked outside a friends. My mirror is dangling, the drivers side door won't open, the damage is not a quick fix. Guy is in jail. Didn't have an insurance card on him at the time. Great.

I've never really been stuck in this situation before.

Plus, this kid who's from DC was counting on me for a ride home.

Do I just drive my crapped up car the 1,000 miles home, and hope it works out alright? I don't think I can bare staying here very much longer and missing the game. I've been waiting all season.

Thoughts?

I was going to give you a hard time about staying up all night, but I did the same thing earlier this year while earning another degree. We never learn - even when we get to, well, the same age bracket as MTH. :D

Here is my opinion on the subject...

Talk with your parents and see what can be done in the next day or two. Your mother and father will have the best advice and something reasonable can be worked out. Seeking advice at ES is fine, but the parents are always right. Let us know what happens.

Sorry to hear about the car and the circumstances. Make this bum pay - big time.

well asking for advice on ES IS asking her dad :silly:

haha... he has a point.

I actually was indeed hoping my dad would read this and call me when he wakes up. But unless that's in the next 10 minutes, I need to take a three hour nap before my campaign pitch in the morning.

DAD: call me at 8 or 8:30am eastern time. I could use the wake up call anyways.

In the mean time, I appreciate the echoed support to contact my parents guys, but do you have any other advice? (I'm looking for something kind of like, "oh, you'll be fine. just make the drive. it's not that long. we'll see you on monday.") Anyone? Anyone?

In the mean time, I appreciate the echoed support to contact my parents guys, but do you have any other advice? (I'm looking for something kind of like, "oh, you'll be fine. just make the drive. it's not that long. we'll see you on monday.") Anyone? Anyone?

We can't make that determination - none of us has seen the extent of said damage to your car.

I would not drive that distance w/o a mirror and someone checking it for safety issues

You might be able to duct tape/glue the mirror on and get by...who knows

There are no mechanically inclined guys there that you can bat your eyes at and have help?;)

Well... to clarify on the damage assessment, the shell of the car is kind of screwed just in that spot, but overall the car drives fine. That's no an issue. I just have to exit/enter out of the passenger side door.

And I'm driving the 1000 miles because I'm studying in London next semester and I'm not going to be back in town until next August. I don't really want my car sitting in an abandoned lot for the next nine months.

I appreciate all of your help, for sure. I'm going to call the insurance agent in just a bit.

Time for MTH to go pick up his little skins fan.
Eleven hundred miles? I don't think so. :silly:
at that age most rental companies require a deposit if they will even rent to you....but it is worth looking at

Never understood driving a 1,000 miles anyway,wouldn't a plane be cheaper?

She's studying in London next semester. She won't be back in Springfield until September.

Assuming it's just body damage, seems to me her best option is to drive - carefully - home. Then she can get the car fixed here in Maryland.

The question is really about the integrity of the car. You can drive with certain body damage, other body damage makes it really hazardous because with any additional kind of hit or collision the frame supports you once had are gone or just really incredibly weak. If all goes well, and there are no bumps on the road I'm sure she would be fine, but she should really make sure that the car could survive a second hit if there happened to be another idiot on the road. (And the road is rarely free of idiot drivers)

I emailed her multiple links giving weather forecasts for various points along her route: St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Wheeling, and DC. I told her - what she should do, at best, is hole up in Ohio until Sunday, because if she tried to cross the W VA state line during the snow storm driving a friggin' Saturn, she's gonna wind up in trouble.

So she leaves late Friday from Springfield. Drives up through St Louis and crosses the Indiana state line and gets a hotel. This morning she's back on the road. She drives straight across Indiana and Ohio. And what does she do? Continues on into West Virginia. :doh:

We get a call that goes like this:

"I don't know what happened... I was driving along and it was a LITTLE icy, and then suddenly my car did a 180 and we were in a ditch. :(

"... and I didn't know what to do! And then suddenly this hillbilly guy in a old pickup truck pulled up, connected a chain, and pulled me out! I tried to give him money and he said 'Don't worry about it. All I ask is root for the Mountaneers, remember Jesus loves you, and remember there's no such thing as global warming.' And he drove off."

You can't make this stuff up.

So now she's in Charleston in a hotel. She'll finish the trip tomorrow.

he said 'Don't worry about it. All I ask is root for the Mountaneers, remember Jesus loves you, and remember there's no such thing as global warming.' And he drove off."

:hysterical:

Gotta love the characters in life....hell of a time for a drive,be safe out there.

I emailed her multiple links giving weather forecasts for various points along her route: St. Louis, Indianapolis, Columbus, Wheeling, and DC. I told her - what she should do, at best, is hole up in Ohio until Sunday, because if she tried to cross the W VA state line during the snow storm driving a friggin' Saturn, she's gonna wind up in trouble.

So she leaves late Friday from Springfield. Drives up through St Louis and crosses the Indiana state line and gets a hotel. This morning she's back on the road. She drives straight across Indiana and Ohio. And what does she do? Continues on into West Virginia. :doh:

We get a call that goes like this:

"I don't know what happened... I was driving along and it was a LITTLE icy, and then suddenly my car did a 180 and we were in a ditch. :(

"... and I didn't know what to do! And then suddenly this hillbilly guy in a old pickup truck pulled up, connected a chain, and pulled me out! I tried to give him money and he said 'Don't worry about it. All I ask is root for the Mountaneers, remember Jesus loves you, and remember there's no such thing as global warming.' And he drove off."

So now she's in Charleston in a hotel. She'll finish the trip tomorrow.

:hysterical::hysterical:

I can't help but think of this guy:

160full-harold-&-kumar-go-to-white-castle-photo.jpg

"Just don't do anything the good lord wouldn't do!"

Archived