Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest Athlete Fall From Grace?

Spaceman Spiff

Obviously OJ is first. But I think McGwire is second. He is the personification of the shame of the Steroid era. Canseco put the truth out there but McGwire was the face and it was just devastating to himself and to baseball. One moment he was a national hero accidentaly running past 1st and then running back to touch it and hug his son on 62, making people from coast to coast smile. The next moment he is an absolute pariah and national disgrace.

And I'm not particularly a Kobe fan but I don't think he belongs anywhere near this conversation. Right or wrong.

If you read the OP, he says OJ is number one, and he's asking who is number two :chair:

Yeah, well, look at the title of the thread?:saber:

I guess I'd probably go with Clemens. Because like the one poster said, here is one of the best pitchers of all time and he's not gonna get in the HOF.

And, no, Pete Rose DOESN'T deserve to get in the HOF. Rose is a piece of crap.

Sosa's career came down pretty darn fast. It all started with him getting hit in the head with a pitch in Pittsburgh. He never was the same player after that. Then when he left his team on the last game of the year, his career spiraled down the toilet bowl.

Sosa's career came down pretty darn fast. It all started with him getting hit in the head with a pitch in Pittsburgh. He never was the same player after that. Then when he left his team on the last game of the year, his career spiraled down the toilet bowl.

A lot of flack came from the corked bat...

Gotta add on Rae Carruth for a list football players a lot more than Vick IMO.

I've got an autographed Rae Carruth rookie card that I got in a pack...

Was he really that big of a star though? Was he built up far enough to be hurt by the fall?

OJ is the obvious first. I think Michael Vick is a strong candidate for a second, and here is why:

First overall draft pick in the most popular sport in the US

QB and face of the franchise, hottest selling jersey at the time

Highest paid QB at one time, joined the $100 club

The fall...

Funded a malicious underground dog fighting ring. Lied to the commissioner and owner. Sponsors dropped him like a bad habbit. Was found guilty and served time behind bars for it.

Pete Rose is another strong candidate for second being black-balled from the MLB and not making the HOF when he should be.

Tiger Woods has not fallen out of graces. Many have been caught cheating. Right now it seems bad because women are coming out and speaking up. This is nothing new. What is making it worse was the scandal at his home and his silence. Now, a woman was hospitalized and is on life support that left his home early this morning. Probably Elfin's mother who was visiting.

Once all of this dies down, he will be back to winning tourney's, making money, and smiling for the camera.

Shoeless Joe Jackson is the archetype of an athlete's fall from grace. The man had a .356 career batting average, third highest ALL TIME. He batted .408 in 1911, the 6th highest season average in the modern era.

In 1919, he hit .351 in the regular season. His Chicago White Sox lost to the Cincinnati Reds in the 1919 World Series. Jackson hit .375 in that World Series and had a perfect fielding percentage. The next season he was hitting .385 and leading the AL in triples when he was suspended for allegedly taking part in throwing the 1919 series. He was banned from major league baseball by ML Commissioner Kennisaw Landis.

So, in the midst of a .385 season, a man who is STILL the 3rd best batter in major league history gets banned for life. THAT is a fall from grace.

this is a very interesting thread.

i would argue that while guys like OJ, Pete Rose, etc., are very good candidates, in my opinion the "honor" should go to someone whose athletic feats were tainted.

after all, that is how they achieved anything in the first place. a lot of great athletes have been bad people (though murder, etc. is more than simply "bad"). those who have cheated the game to get where they are in the first place are the prime candidates for this.

id go with a guy like McGwire.

He should be in the HoF. It's bull****.

Damn right. IMO he didn't do half as bad a thing as these guys are doing now. I'm not upset with Tiger at all. Running around on your wife really doesn't have anything to do with golf. He's still a heck of a golfer. May not be the poster boy for father of the year award, but.

Mike Tyson. His Barbara Walters interview with Robin Givens did serious damage. Probably worse than the rape conviction and ear biting. By that point he was already viewed as insane.

OJ was a football announcer. If it had taken place when he was playing, it would have been a whole different level.

Archived