Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins already looking at Jimmy Clausen?!?!

DTN Redskin

Personally, I've got my eyes on Ryan Mallet from Arkansas. He's a sophomore this year and leads the SEC in passing. 28 TDs vs. 6 Picks. He's 6'7" and 240. BIG KID!! Strong arm. Next year, as a junior, he's gonna roll and be our 1st rounder and future franchise QB.

EDIT: I think he's draft eligible this year. He transferred from Michigan and sat out a year. I seem to hear Kiper saying that he may come out this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007

Personally, I've got my eyes on Ryan Mallet from Arkansas. He's a sophomore this year and leads the SEC in passing. 28 TDs vs. 6 Picks. He's 6'7" and 240. BIG KID!! Strong arm. Next year, as a junior, he's gonna roll and be our 1st rounder and future franchise QB.

EDIT: I think he's draft eligible this year. He transferred from Michigan and sat out a year. I seem to hear Kiper saying that he may come out this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007

I don't have any quantitative basis......but my anecdotal observation is that the bigger QBs tend to have a slower release. and that does not bode well in the NFL. the shere physics of bigger bodies moving longer arms at some point adds time. I imnagine coaching/technique can compensate.....but that seems to have diminishing returns at some point. anywho, I'm not an advocate that bigger is better.

That's exactly right. There is no question that we need a better offensive line. Absolutely no doubt. With that being said though, you CANNOT win big consistently in this league without a franchise QB (there are a few exceptions like the Ravens in 2001, Bucs in 2003, and the jury is still out regarding Eli).

Franchise QBs give you an opportunity to win EVERY Sunday. I'm not saying that Clausen is that caliber of a qb . . . but I am saying that you cannot win 10+ games a year and have a shot in February without a QB.

Hell, look at Big Ben. The guy has a decent o-line at best . . . and yet has 2 rings. That right there shows how important those type of QBs are.

shhhhh...don't let OldFan hear you!!! the QB only accounts for 10 to 15 percent of team success........

I don't have any quantitative basis......but my anecdotal observation is that the bigger QBs tend to have a slower release. and that does not bode well in the NFL. the shere physics of bigger bodies moving longer arms at some point adds time. I imnagine coaching/technique can compensate.....but that seems to have diminishing returns at some point. anywho, I'm not an advocate that bigger is better.

I know Mel Kiper isn't the end all, be all of college football. This is his take on Mallett coming out this year:

Hunter (Little Rock, AR)

Do you think Ryan Mallett will enter the draft this year? Where would you have him projected? Thanks.

Mel Kiper (1:12 PM)

That would surprise me. It wouldn't shock me, but another year with Bobby Petrino would make him hands down the No. 1 pick in the draft. With his size and strength, they've been unbelieveably productive. Petrino and Mallett have been putting Arkansas back on the map. He's got a good football team. If he came out, he'd be in the discussion in the top 10-15 overall. He'd be in there with Clausen. He's only played this one full season. NFL teams are leery of that. They want more of a body of work than that. It's asking a lot of Mallet of dealing with the pressures of being a high pick with the limited experience. I would say go back for another year.

The guy has pretty sick talent, 6-6 225, great arm, good leader, and mad skills. The guys like McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, & Clausen get the pub which may cause Pike to be overlooked, but Pike is the real deal. Average QB's don't throw for 400 yards & 6 TD's against Big Ten schools like Pike just did.

There are serious questions about Pike's toughness and dedication.

LOL. We have one the worst offenses in NFL history yet we need to keep JC to he is 30?

Insanity is repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

LOL

I think you need to learn how to read buddy. What I said was that we should keep JC until we have built our Oline enough to protect a rookie QB. I didn't say anything about "different results." Actually I specifically said we will probably suck for a few years.

With the way this team's ownership behaves and with how hard they tried to pick up a QB this past offseason I think we almost certainly take a QB in the draft. 99% of the mock draft sites I've read have us taking a QB (for what they're worth). I actually think this upcoming draft has 3 QBs who will pan out (Bradford/Clausen/dude w/the Huskies)

I wouldn't draft Colt McCoy in the first three rounds.

Unless you really want to draft a small-framed QB with an average at best arm who's been running an offense since his HS days that doesn't translate at all to the NFL. There's a reason he has the most throws under 5 yards of any draft eligible QB.

He's a project.

Alot of people aren't aware of Clausen's strengths and weaknesses as well as the problems with Notre Dame this year.

He didn't take long at all to adjust to the College game. One marginal year, but the past two seasons he has played quite well. He has definitely made some poor decisions at ends of games last season as well as this season. To put the blame entirely on his shoulders is inaccurate as the defense has been putrid all season.

Were it not for his play, ND would likely have a much worse record as he engineered some pretty impressive comebacks. One could argue that he has the best WR tandem in all of football, which pads his stats. However, this entire year he has played hurt as well as the majority of last year. He is definitely a tough kid and has a ton of leadership qualities.

I'd love to endorse him as a bona-fide franchise QB prospect, but he definitely needs one more year. However, that looks like it would be unwise with Weiss's departure almost a certainty (getting sucker punched by a fan makes the decision a bit easier I would imagine).

In a nutshell he is just as much a gamble as a guy like Tebow.

You're right. O-line is priority. We need to find our franchise QB in the first round of NEXT years draft.

Chances are the top prospects for the OL are going to be taken. I'd rather take Clausen/Bradford/etc. over a 2nd round OL in the first round.

Consider this, we won't have a QB next year unless we resign JC. We resign JC its going to be a long term contract I don't expect him to take a 1 year deal. In light of this we have no other starting caliber QBs. Our #1 priority should be QB and then OL

BUST BUST BUST

I don't know where all the hype is coming from with jimmy. He stinks, I've seen every ND game this season and the guy can't do it when it counts. IF he thought ND fans where bad wait till he gets the redskin fans hating him. This has to be vinny isn't he from ND?

BUST BUST BUST

I don't know where all the hype is coming from with jimmy. He stinks, I've seen every ND game this season and the guy can't do it when it counts. IF he thought ND fans where bad wait till he gets the redskin fans hating him. This has to be vinny isn't he from ND?

Has to be from Vinny? Clausen is the top QB prospect for the coming draft according to basically every draft board in the country.

BUST BUST BUST

-I'll admit I haven't watced a lot of Notre Dame games, but everything I have seen from this kid I have liked. He's extremely accurate and has an abiilt to make some extreme difficult throws ( you know those one's that have to get over a LB but drop before the safety)... But like I said I haven't seen a lot, is it really true that he just can't get it done when it matters most?

BUST BUST BUST

You obviously have NOT watched every Notre Dame game if you're making this ridiculous statement! End-of-game drives for scores against Purdue, Michigan State, Washington and USC (down the four and an open receiver slipped on the final play). Clausen has 24 TD's to 4 INT's and has demonstrated tremendous leadership ability since the end of last season.

Two things ND haters have to realize here:

1 -- The QB, like at other schools, does not play defense in South Bend. Like Quinn before him, Clausen played very well and did everything he could to put his team in position to win a lot of games. The defense let them both down time and again under Weis.

2 -- Regarding your "ND fans were bad.." comment, I think you need to visit some ND message board and realize that most ND fans like JC and want him to come back next year. one drunken idiot in a South Bend bar doesn't speak for legions of fans throughout the country.

You obviously have NOT watched every Notre Dame game if you're making this ridiculous statement! End-of-game drives for scores against Purdue, Michigan State, Washington and USC (down the four and an open receiver slipped on the final play). Clausen has 24 TD's to 4 INT's and has demonstrated tremendous leadership ability since the end of last season.

Two things ND haters have to realize here:

1 -- The QB, like at other schools, does not play defense in South Bend. Like Quinn before him, Clausen played very well and did everything he could to put his team in position to win a lot of games. The defense let them both down time and again under Weis.

2 -- Regarding your "ND fans were bad.." comment, I think you need to visit some ND message board and realize that most ND fans like JC and want him to come back next year. one drunken idiot in a South Bend bar doesn't speak for legions of fans throughout the country.

obviously you haven't seen all the games, OR do you forget senior week??

Come on, just a little bit of heat from the defense and he folds. Don't watch highlights and say the guy is good when he's not. There is a reason he got punched in the eye. IF you guys want a player from ND tate is golden.

The guy has bust written all over him and Quinn was a heck of a lot better than jimmy.

What about the Navy game??? That was a heart breaker, I have to admit I hate jimmy and it would be a pain to see him with the skins.

obviously you haven't seen all the games, OR do you forget senior week??

Come on, just a little bit of heat from the defense and he folds. Don't watch highlights and say the guy is good when he's not. There is a reason he got punched in the eye. IF you guys want a player from ND tate is golden.

The guy has bust written all over him and Quinn was a heck of a lot better than jimmy.

What about the Navy game??? That was a heart breaker, I have to admit I hate jimmy and it would be a pain to see him with the skins.

Sorry to tell you Skippy but I'm 37 years old and lifelong Notre Dame fan. Haven't missed a game all season and I'll be watching tonight. Once again....Jimmy doesn't play defense. Why are you bringing up UConn? UConn's offense gashed ND's run defense. What does Jimmy have to do with that? Navy? Wow that was Jimmy who allowed their fullback to go for 160 yards? Come one man!

Also, after your "there's a reason he got punched.." comment and your admission of hatred toward the kid, I think you pretty much discredited yourself from this discusssion.

Tell us that you're leery of JC because he's only had one truly good year or that he may need another year to fine-tune his footwork. then you'll have some legitimacy. But don't tell me he hasn't played well or hasn't delivered in the clutch. He's played well all season and delivered at crunch time on a few occasions in '09. The Notre Dame defense has let them down all season long. ND's problems are NOT on offense.

Sorry to tell you Skippy but I'm 37 years old and lifelong Notre Dame fan. Haven't missed a game all season and I'll be watching tonight. Once again....Jimmy doesn't play defense. Why are you bringing up UConn? UConn's offense gashed ND's run defense. What does Jimmy have to do with that? Navy? Wow that was Jimmy who allowed their fullback to go for 160 yards? Come one man!

Also, after your "there's a reason he got punched.." comment and your admission of hatred toward the kid, I think you pretty much discredited yourself from this discusssion.

Tell us that you're leery of JC because he's only had one truly good year or that he may need another year to fine-tune his footwork. then you'll have some legitimacy. But don't tell me he hasn't played well or hasn't delivered in the clutch. He's played well all season and delivered at crunch time on a few occasions in '09. The Notre Dame defense has let them down all season long. ND's problems are NOT on offense.

well, obviously I'm not the only one who thinks jimmy can't play. But the tape is out there, anyone that wants to see proof can just torrent a few games and watch them. I'm not going to go write up a page just to defend my point.

Archived