Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins already looking at Jimmy Clausen?!?!

DTN Redskin

personally, i the order of preference for qbs is this for me

1- Colt Mccoy- Does nothing but win, quick release, accurate, a leader, and after seeing him in that Texas A&M game, running and passing? A monster qb in the nfl.

2- Clausen- Just has it all. Quick release, smart, leader, but didnt put the wins together like Colt, albeit he did have inferior talent.

3- Tebow- Will be a player who changes the way the game is played. Has played well in all phases of the game and is the best leader of the group. Who wouldnt want a guy with as much passion and fire for the game as Tebow has?

4-Bradford- He has it all, but injury questions drop him and id rather have a qb who has proven himself at the lower level more then 1 season.

5- Locker- Accuracy was an issue but really good when moving with the ball.

6- It doesnt matter i really only want one of the top 3, would be ok with bradford and not be too happy with locker.

Edit- You dont pass a qb when you have a class like this. O line can be taken in the second and fourth round along with a free agent who has proven his play and we have a shot at an average to good line. Ill take a franchise qb with an average line over jason campbell and a great line any day.

I agree with Mccoy and Bradford, not sure about Clausen..I mean he does some things well but I'm just not sold on him. I would have like to see him do it against better talent and also do it for more than just this year.

Tebow, a GREAT GREAT college QB, but he plays in a college system and while he has some great qualities, ultimately I don't think he will cut it at QB in the NFL. Given our history with QBs, I'd rather get a QB who is more fit to an NFL system, even if he does change the way the position is played, which I have doubts about, he surely is a LOT less likely to do it with the Skins.

Someone said it already, fix the o-line this year and try to find our QB of the future next year IMO. I said before it will take multiple offseasons to fix this thing, may as well let the seasons play out and just hope we build it right and improve while we do it.

We don't people like Clausen? Is it simply the fact that he plays for ND? He seems to be clearly the top prospect on the board this season and those next season don't seem to be a great deal better. He's the only prospect with arm strength and accuracy.

His stats seems damn good:

2009 Jimmy Clausen 266completions 3382yards 67.3% 23TD 4int 22sack

2009 Jake Locker 234completions 2356yards 56.7% 17TD 10int 25sack

2009 Colt McCoy 310completions 3328yards 71.8% 27TD 9int 21sack

2009 Tim Tebow 145completions 1945yards 65.0% 14TD 4int 23sack

Bradford has been injured this season but here is his full 2008 season:

2008 Sam Bradford 328completions 4720yards 67.9% 50TD 8int 11sack

the funny thing is that people are saying how much they don't want Clausen. I don't think the skins will have the chance to get him.

This may be true if we onyl go by stats, but I think we have to look deeper IMO.

Look at the competition Texas plays vs what ND plays.

Week in and week out Texas plays with a bullseye on their back against quality teams that are dying to knock off a top ranked team, while ND plays against only a couple quality opponents.

Also, while Clausen is having a decent year, it's only been this year, Mccoy has done it every year. I'm not really sure about Clausen tho he may become a good NFL QB, but giventhe choice I'd take Mccoy.

3- Tebow- Will be a player who changes the way the game is played. Has played well in all phases of the game and is the best leader of the group. Who wouldnt want a guy with as much passion and fire for the game as Tebow has?...

Wrong. Tim Tebow is a spread offense system QB who does not have the skills necessary to operate in an NFL-style pro set any more than JaMarcus Russell does. If he's drafted anywhere before the 3rd round it would behoove whichever FO pulls that trigger to sit down with the young man and make it clear he will probably be playing TE or LB.

Not throwing passes.

Tebow has a "We will NOT lose attitude" its hard to be a bust when you play the game like that. :2cents:

Well so do I, but that doesn't mean that I can play QB in the NFL. There's something called talent that's a requisite also. And another thing, and you can look this up, the SEC hasn't produced a decent NFL QB in the last 30+ years not named Manning.

If in fact we do take a QB, I only want Colt McCoy!!! The Guy is a Stud!!!

Colt does not have the arm to be a great NFL QB. Watch the Oklahoma game from earlier this year and tell me what you think....He's a QB that is accurate on the short stuff and would be best served in a Denver type of system where Orton and his weaker arm can flourish. He does not throw down field consistently and doesn't have a big enough arm to work in all systems in the NFL.

You're right. O-line is priority. We need to find our franchise QB in the first round of NEXT years draft.

So that's the formula? Look at the Jets...They have some serious talent and a great o-line, but one with Damien Woody and Faneca that is getting older. Don't you think they would be much further along if they weren't waiting for Sanchez to catch up with them. By the team he's ready to make a serious run, the Jets will have to replace half of their current starters!!

I have absolutely no problem with taking a QB in the first round as long as the 2nd and several other mid/late picks are used on o-lineman. In addition, I hope the team explores trade options with Rogers and other tradeable assets to get additional picks in the earlier rounds they can use on the o-line. That being said, I fully expect them to address the interior of the line to some degree in free agency and save the tackle spot for the draft (very very legit tackles make it to the market) I also wouldn't mind keeping the left side as-is for one more season with Levi & Samuels at LT and Dockery at Guard. Our focus should be on the right side and the center position.

Time will tell with the decisions that are made, we'll have to see what the philosophy is of the new regime once they come in. For all we know, the next GM & coach could both be a Bradford fan, a Tebow fan, a McCoy fan, split on who to take, or not a fan of drafting a QB with a top-10 pick at all and has a BPA mentality.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned zac robinson. 63% completion, 15-7 td/int. he's mobile, has a good arm and quick release. i don't watch a lot of oklahoma state football, but of what i've seen of him, he's pretty impressive. seems like a leader on the field. is no one talking about him? i know the guys at bigger schools are getting the attention, but i think if we get a stud OL in the first round, maybe we can get robinson in the 2nd. from then on i think best player available is a good plan. we have needs at every position on the line, rb, cb, olb (hopefully blache will get fired and whoever comes in will realize rak is a freak at de.. so we'll have a need at olb).

sorry, got off topic with the draft thing. is no one talking about robinson? am i missing something?

A dark horse is Tony Pike from Cincy, he could fall to the 2nd round and maybe the Skins get him there.

I've been wondering about this guy, Pike.

I haven't seen him play, but for anyone who has, what do you think of him?

How does he look?

He's got like 23 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions this year.

I know he was injured a few games back, but he apparently threw 6 touchdowns today.

Personally I hope we don't draft a QB this year. Re-sign JC on a little contract, and let him hold us over until we sufficiently rebuild the team to the point where a young drafted QB can take over. We probably won't win much the next few years, but that's what rebuilding means. It takes time and we will be very bad for awhile.

Personally I hope we don't draft a QB this year. Re-sign JC on a little contract, and let him hold us over until we sufficiently rebuild the team to the point where a young drafted QB can take over. We probably won't win much the next few years, but that's what rebuilding means. It takes time and we will be very bad for awhile.

I'm not sure I want us drafting a QB high this year either.

I'd kind of like to see more of Brennan first too, although I'm not sure who we could get if he can't do it and Jason doesn't stay.

In any case, I think it's good to know what our options are just in case a QB ends up looking like a much more pressing need by April.

If we can get a franchise QB this year that's more important then one Oline men

That's exactly right. There is no question that we need a better offensive line. Absolutely no doubt. With that being said though, you CANNOT win big consistently in this league without a franchise QB (there are a few exceptions like the Ravens in 2001, Bucs in 2003, and the jury is still out regarding Eli).

Franchise QBs give you an opportunity to win EVERY Sunday. I'm not saying that Clausen is that caliber of a qb . . . but I am saying that you cannot win 10+ games a year and have a shot in February without a QB.

Hell, look at Big Ben. The guy has a decent o-line at best . . . and yet has 2 rings. That right there shows how important those type of QBs are.

How does he look?

I know he was injured a few games back, but he apparently threw 6 touchdowns today.

The guy has pretty sick talent, 6-6 225, great arm, good leader, and mad skills. The guys like McCoy, Bradford, Tebow, & Clausen get the pub which may cause Pike to be overlooked, but Pike is the real deal. Average QB's don't throw for 400 yards & 6 TD's against Big Ten schools like Pike just did.

Locker doesn't interest me at all. I really hate when people tell about how good a QB is, other than his accuracy issues. Accuracy is #1 because nothing matters if you can't hit your target. All the arm strength in the world doesn't matter if you miss. Reading the defense doesn't matter if you miss. Moving in the pocket doesn't matter if you miss.

super smart matters first. then toughness, then accuracy

Actually guys the Redskins DO NOT NEED Clausen. He is an average QB at best just like his Notre Dame team!!!!! There is no QB is this draft worth a high round pic. Colt McCoy reminds me of a younger Health Schuler. Remeber him guys??? Clausen is an average QB. This year he played basically a water down schedule and you tell me his team is 6-4.

Actually guys the Redskins DO NOT NEED Clausen. He is an average QB at best just like his Notre Dame team!!!!! There is no QB is this draft worth a high round pic. Colt McCoy reminds me of a younger Health Schuler. Remeber him guys??? Clausen is an average QB. This year he played basically a water down schedule and you tell me his team is 6-4.

Colt has a stronger arm than Heath.

Claussen is average in college. He'll be worse than Colt Brennan. But, I could be proven wrong. I think VInny needs to go, so that we can really draft someone good.

LOL. We have one the worst offenses in NFL history yet we need to keep JC to he is 30?

Insanity is repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

personally, i the order of preference for qbs is this for me

1- Colt Mccoy- Does nothing but win, quick release, accurate, a leader, and after seeing him in that Texas A&M game, running and passing? A monster qb in the nfl.

2- Clausen- Just has it all. Quick release, smart, leader, but didnt put the wins together like Colt, albeit he did have inferior talent.

3- Tebow- Will be a player who changes the way the game is played. Has played well in all phases of the game and is the best leader of the group. Who wouldnt want a guy with as much passion and fire for the game as Tebow has?

4-Bradford- He has it all, but injury questions drop him and id rather have a qb who has proven himself at the lower level more then 1 season.

5- Locker- Accuracy was an issue but really good when moving with the ball.

6- It doesnt matter i really only want one of the top 3, would be ok with bradford and not be too happy with locker.

Edit- You dont pass a qb when you have a class like this. O line can be taken in the second and fourth round along with a free agent who has proven his play and we have a shot at an average to good line. Ill take a franchise qb with an average line over jason campbell and a great line any day.

Exactly... NEVER pass on a potential franchise QB. The major missing piece for the Skins for two decades is the lack of a QB. Duh.

I would also note that I hope the owner finally hires someone in the front office who can evaluate the talent...I trust cerrato to do one thing only: screw up.

How does he look?

I've been wondering about this also. My friend is talking about Pike, saying we should look at him, and that was before his 6 TD game. I need to do more research on him.

We don't people like Clausen? Is it simply the fact that he plays for ND? He seems to be clearly the top prospect on the board this season and those next season don't seem to be a great deal better. He's the only prospect with arm strength and accuracy.

His stats seems damn good:

2009 Jimmy Clausen 266completions 3382yards 67.3% 23TD 4int 22sack

2009 Jake Locker 234completions 2356yards 56.7% 17TD 10int 25sack

2009 Colt McCoy 310completions 3328yards 71.8% 27TD 9int 21sack

2009 Tim Tebow 145completions 1945yards 65.0% 14TD 4int 23sack

Bradford has been injured this season but here is his full 2008 season:

2008 Sam Bradford 328completions 4720yards 67.9% 50TD 8int 11sack

the funny thing is that people are saying how much they don't want Clausen. I don't think the skins will have the chance to get him.

My only problem with these numbers it that it would seem Jimmy's not playing the same talent week in and week out. Of course he isn't playing with the best talent either, but he does have Golden Tate and Micheal Floyd helping his case. The other QB's listed seem to play harder defenses throughout the year if I'm not mistaken.

Archived