Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we have to lose out to gurantee change? =(

BleedinBurgNGold

The only time in Danny's tenure that it looked like we were building a true playoff team was 2001 and maybe, 2004. Both times had in common either a coach/gm with the authority to run the organization. Now, Gibbs was doing it, at least for the most part, the way Snyder would and Gibbs was Danny's idol anyway, so Danny had no real problem (until maybe the end). He hated Marty because Marty was building a winner in a different way. Danny may want to win but he wants to win Danny's way.

Skins will finish 5-11, not very good.

They will beat dallas because they should clinch the division and the skins should beat OAKLAND. I think the damage has been done already. Snyder has never been this publicly humiliated. He has an EGO and he will do what's right. There is only one way to go and that's up. He realizes for the coach he desires he will have to fire Cerrato.

Snyder is a Skins fan, he grew up in this area. However, he also looks at the franchise as a cash cow. If he was smart, he'd hire a management team for the Redskins that are sharp football minds. Like he would do for any other of his business enterprises, if indeed that's what he does, I don't know his management style.

I don't think the Redskins will win another game this season. We should have a high draft pick so we don't have to trade up for a decent pick, whether QB or OL. We should use our middle picks for OL as there should be decent talent there for Bugel to work with instead of 6th, 7th and UDFA players that he has to coach up to be backups. We need starters.

I saw a program on the Top 10 worst teams on NFL Net today that talked about the prevent D. One person said the worst thing than a prevent D is a prevent offense. I think that is what we are running with the player who shall not be named at the helm.

I'd also like to see a change in our defense so that we are more of an attacking D instead of playing so far off the line that our guys have to continually run all over the field to make tackles. WTF is bend don't break? Really?

Joe Gibbs wasn't a professional?

Coach Gibbs was definitely a professional, but when he came back the team was at a rock bottom phase after Spurrier quit and Snyder needed someone who would definitely be embraced. In addition, Coach Gibbs wasn't exactly the best evaluator of talent. Besides ST and Cooley, his picks have not panned out at all.

Joe Gibbs wasn't a professional?

I think most people agree that Gibbs is not adept at picking the talent, just coaching them up. Plus, Danny was still involved in football operations.

In order for this franchise to take the next step, he needs to hire a GM and give him full control.

I think most people agree that Gibbs is not adept at picking the talent, just coaching them up. Plus, Danny was still involved in football operations.

In order for this franchise to take the next step, he needs to hire a GM and give him full control.

But, your point was that Dan wouldn't step back and let a professional have full control -- and mine in response was that Dan already did that and failed.

Who would you suggest is qualified to be given full control and why?

But, your point was that Dan wouldn't step back and let a professional have full control -- and mine in response was that Dan already did that and failed.

Who would you suggest is qualified to be given full control and why?

First, I disagree that Gibbs had full control. Gibbs as much said that the trio of Cerrato, Gibbs, and Synder made the decisions. The only think I want Synder to do is sign the paychecks - THAT is giving up full control.

I think he needs to hire a Ron Wolf type...somebody who knows how to run a football operation and knows how to evaluate talent.

First, I disagree that Gibbs had full control. Gibbs as much said that the trio of Cerrato, Gibbs, and Synder made the decisions. The only think I want Synder to do is sign the paychecks - THAT is giving up full control.

I think he needs to hire a Ron Wolf type...somebody who knows how to run a football operation and knows how to evaluate talent.

Joe told us often that the final say was his. Others had input, but he had the final say. That's full control.

You want a Ron Wolf type? Why not a Bill Belichick type? He's been more successful. But who is that?

Shanahan and Holmgren are the two names being tossed around for the Cleveland job. Both have already proven they can't compete with Belichick. Why would we want either?

I'll believe that Danny will whack Vinny when I see it happen 38 days from now. Until then I keep getting this feeling that Zorn & the coaching staff will be made scapegoats and that Vinny will escape Danny's blame and stay.

Danny has high regard for Vinny, and unfortunately Vinny has probably made enough good moves in Danny's eyes to warrant Danny keeping him. Face it, we're in for several more years of mediocrity.

I've thought many times this year, "Man, I think we should lose out and get as high on the draft board as possible." That's a stupid way to think and I've since rethought my previous theory.

I'd rather see the Redskins win as many games as they can with backups because it would mean that some of the young guys and veterans are worthy of more playing time and worthy of being on the roster next year. It would speak to the development of the team and the depth.

That said, if they lose out or only win one or two more games, we were who we think we are :paranoid: It's actually a win-win situation for me. I'd rather see young guys get in there and do well. The way I look at it, we are going to get a shot at a blue chip OL or QB in the first round anyway. There's certainly a lot of depth at QB in the 1st round and I'm pretty sure OL is something we can address in the 1st three rounds, but I'm not sure how deep the OL position is projected to be in the first three rounds of the 2010 draft. I hope it's deep for the sake of whoever the qb is next year.

HTTR

Joe told us often that the final say was his. Others had input, but he had the final say. That's full control.

You want a Ron Wolf type? Why not a Bill Belichick type? He's been more successful. But who is that?

Shanahan and Holmgren are the two names being tossed around for the Cleveland job. Both have already proven they can't compete with Belichick. Why would we want either?

I could care less who the coach is. Hire a GM with proven success. If he wants to bring in Jim Fassel, I am fine with that. The point is, I want the GM to make decisions.

I don't want to argue about control, so I will restate my position. Synder needs to remove himself from making operational decisions. Much as he did when he hired Shottenheimer. Shotty finished 8-8, winning 8 of his final 11 games with average talent on the team. He had this team headed in the right direction . But Synder fired him because he wasn't having any fun. Synder wants to win, but on his own terms. To hell with the fans.

By the way, do you have a problem with Ron Wolf? If the Skins did hire him, would that be a good choice in your eyes? You didn't really comment on my choice of Wolf directly.

If we lose out and It helps... fine, but to sit around and hope for it is beyond lame. It's like me saying, I hope my job just fires me so I can look for another one. That isn't how It's done.

I'm not saying that I'm rooting for that to happen, but it's better for the franchise if it does happen. You have to be really bad to get better, just ask the Caps about that. They were in a position to draft Ovie & Backstrom because they had the worst/2nd worst record in the league 2-3 straight years at one point.

ST was the 6th pick of the draft and probably wouldn't have fallen much lower on the board, so if the Skins hadn't been bad enough to get the 6th pick in 04, they aren't in a position to draft him. It sounds horrible to say that we should root for them to lose, but I'm thinking in terms of what is best for the future of the team.

I'm not saying that I'm rooting for that to happen, but it's better for the franchise if it does happen. You have to be really bad to get better, just ask the Caps about that. They were in a position to draft Ovie & Backstrom because they had the worst/2nd worst record in the league 2-3 straight years at one point.

ST was the 6th pick of the draft and probably wouldn't have fallen much lower on the board, so if the Skins hadn't been bad enough to get the 6th pick in 04, they aren't in a position to draft him. It sounds horrible to say that we should root for them to lose, but I'm thinking in terms of what is best for the future of the team.

That whole argument about getting a better draft pick, just doesn't hold any water in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fa1d95&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/panelists/2009/04/nfl-draft-first-round-pick-rang.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/141590-the-biggest-myth-about-the-nfl-draft

It's a losing proposition to pick early in the draft.

I don't think anyone really cares about the better draft pick. I know I don't.

I'd like for the Skins to lose so Snyder will have so much egg on his face he is forced to learn from his past mistakes and either sell the team, or follow the leader and hire a GM. (leader being all the other successful teams.)

I'd like for the Skins to lose so Snyder will have so much egg on his face he is forced to learn from his past mistakes and either sell the team, or follow the leader and hire a GM. (leader being all the other successful teams.)

That would do more good than a worthless "higher" draft pick. Even still, Snyder, knowing how quickly he is swayed, has probably already made up his mind what he will do in the off season anyway.

If we lose out and It helps... fine, but to sit around and hope for it is beyond lame. It's like me saying, I hope my job just fires me so I can look for another one. That isn't how It's done.

Depends on the situation. You can sit around and hope for the severance package, or you could lose out on potentially a lot of money and quit and go find another job.

Depends on the situation. You can sit around and hope for the severance package, or you could lose out on potentially a lot of money and quit and go find another job.

I think you are nit picking the example. What severance package are you talking about? I have already given my reply to that.

I agree with you illone. I'm tired of the way this organization is run. I want the Eagles, the patriots, or the Colts management style. I want a real GM and structure. I'm tired of hearing stories about Danny boy pulling out contracts on coaches, complaining the he doesn't have enough control over player personnel, or players getting shafted ala Lavar (and his contract situation).

I just want the organization to be run with as much class as it was when Cooke, Gibbs, and Bethard was around. That's probably asking way too much though.

I don't care about draft picks. I just want Snyder to lose and clean house and start over correctly.

I hate to say it but I think vinny and danny are so connected to each other and the "mediocrity at best" attitude has permeated the organization so much that a 2 or 3 seasons of really losing seasons (5-11 and worse) will bring the change. I just don't think one abysmal season is enough to get through the thick skulls at Redskins Park.

Originally Posted by polywog999 viewpost.gif

That whole argument about getting a better draft pick, just doesn't hold any water in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

http://views.washingtonpost.com/thel...pick-rang.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-the-nfl-draft

It's a losing proposition to pick early in the draft.

"Losing proposition?" No one cares about a better draft pick? Here are some of the top 8 picks in the NFL draft since 2000:

Lavar

Chris Samuels

LT

Julius Peppers

Bryant McKinnie

Carson Palmer

Andre Johnson

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Larry Fitzgerald

Sean Taylor

Ronnie Brown

Mario Williams

Reggie Bush

A.J. Hawk

Vernon Davis

Calvin Johnson

Joe Thomas

LL

APete

Jake Long

Matt Ryan

How do you think teams get better? Free agency certainly hasn't been a winning proposition for the Skins this decade has it? You build through the draft, and the higher the pick you have the better & faster you can improve. Remember how the Skins got all those picks from the Saints back in 99? They had the 5th pick and Ditka wanted Ricky Williams badly so he traded away his entire draft to the Skins to get him, all because of the position the Skins were in. A top-8 pick also has tremendous value when trading down, you can demand alot of picks depending how far down they trade.

I think there's some high draft pick fear around here because people are afraid that whoever the GM is will be tempted to take one of the QB's with that pick rather than have a lower pick where the risk isn't as great and a top-10 player may fall.

Bottom line, we want to see this team get better in a hurry and be a contender in the next few years, and having a high pick is one of the keys.

Archived