Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New phone for my mommy

MissU28

So my mom and I are on a family plan on AT&T because I bought her her first phone a few years ago, and now we are both eligible for upgrades.

I sprung for a nice Blackberry 8900 ($149 with my upgrade) but am wondering what to get for my mom (this would be a Christmas present).

She said she would like a phone with a full keyboard and also mentioned the iphone, but I really don't think she would use an iphone for its capabilities. Also, if you know me, you know I'm not a fan of pumping money into Steve Jobs or anything Apple.

SO...any suggestions for an AT&T phone that would work for my mom? Texting and a full keyboard is a must, along with that keyboard having keys that aren't too small. A loud ring is necessary, as well.

Now...if I get the Blackberry 8310 for her, it's $99. Not a bad price. Just wondering if she would like it and use it. I don't want to buy this expensive Blackberry data plan if she's not going to use it for the internet and all that fun stuff. She texts and stuff, but who knows if she would use it for internet if she DID have the capabilities.

So my mom and I are on a family plan on AT&T because I bought her her first phone a few years ago, and now we are both eligible for upgrades.

I sprung for a nice Blackberry 8900 ($149 with my upgrade) but am wondering what to get for my mom (this would be a Christmas present).

She said she would like a phone with a full keyboard and also mentioned the iphone, but I really don't think she would use an iphone for its capabilities. Also, if you know me, you know I'm not a fan of pumping money into Steve Jobs or anything Apple.

SO...any suggestions for an AT&T phone that would work for my mom? Texting and a full keyboard is a must, along with that keyboard having keys that aren't too small. A loud ring is necessary, as well.

Now...if I get the Blackberry 8310 for her, it's $99. Not a bad price. Just wondering if she would like it and use it. I don't want to buy this expensive Blackberry data plan if she's not going to use it for the internet and all that fun stuff. She texts and stuff, but who knows if she would use it for internet if she DID have the capabilities.

I don't know how much the data plans are for AT&T, but for Verizon they are pretty expensive. If you're not going to use the features like email, internet, etc. that are included in the Blackberry plan then you might as well just go for something else that isn't a smartphone. Consider that she'll be paying $30 extra per month presumably over a two-year period (I don't know how your contract works but that's how most done mine included) and that comes out to be nearly $700 over the next two years.

The LG Neon seems like a good deal with all the features your mom needs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-neon-white-at/4505-6454_7-33573215.html

I don't know how much the data plans are for AT&T, but for Verizon they are pretty expensive. If you're not going to use the features like email, internet, etc. that are included in the Blackberry plan then you might as well just go for something else that isn't a smartphone. Consider that she'll be paying $30 extra per month presumably over a two-year period (I don't know how your contract works but that's how most done mine included) and that comes out to be nearly $700 over the next two years.

The LG Neon seems like a good deal with all the features your mom needs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/lg-neon-white-at/4505-6454_7-33573215.html

Agree 100%. A lot of people don't need and won't use all the features a smart phone or iPhone provide. My mom got the one above because she wanted a full keyboard and is very happy with it.

And this is coming from a huge mac supporter and iPhone user.

Wait. Your mom mentioned an iPhone but you don't want to get one for her because you are not a fan? Is the phone for you or her?

Then you say she wouldn't use the capabilities but you are thinking of getting her a blackberry? I'm confused.

Why not take her to an AT&T store and let her try them out?

Let her decide.

:2cents:

wait. Your mom mentioned an iphone but you don't want to get one for her because you are not a fan? Is the phone for you or her?

Then you say she wouldn't use the capabilities but you are thinking of getting her a blackberry? I'm confused.

Why not take her to an at&t store and let her try them out?

Let her decide.

+1

Wait. Your mom mentioned an iPhone but you don't want to get one for her because you are not a fan? Is the phone for you or her?

Why not take her to an AT&T store and let her try them out?

Let her decide.

1) Yeah, I don't like Apple but normally I would just get my mom what she wanted (I got her an Ipod for her birthday last year even though I won't buy one for myself), but I don't think she is going to use all the gadgets that come with it that she'd be paying up the wazoo for. She's not a tech-y type o' gal.

2) I said before that I was thinking of a blackberry but am hesitant because I don't think she will use the features. I could be wrong. Blackberries are cheaper than Iphones, so I would pick that over the Iphone.

3) I live in California, mom lives in VA. So I can't really take her to the store. I'm also someone that loves to give surprises as gifts. I don't like people knowing what I'm getting them. Of course I could ask her to go to the ATT store out there and see what she likes, but just because she likes it in person does not mean it is a good, reliable phone that won't break. That is why I am asking for opinions.

worst gifts ever ....

I agree, mostly because it's just exchanging cash, and it's always lopsided.

For instance, I have this uncle who loves movies. His female companion loves movies. They go to the movies 1-2 times per week. They see literally everything in the theater.

So I get him gift cards to Regal Cinemas, $50-$60 bucks worth, for Christmas. He also does the gift certificate thing, he usually gets gift certificates for my wife and I to fancy restaurants so we can enjoy a night out.

The problem is, he usually goes $100 or more on these things. So basically, we've exchanged cash, only he's given us twice as much. He doesn't care, he's the lovable old uncle, but guess who feels like the ass? This guy!!

Gift certificates suck.

ok just got off the phone with her....she said that she probably wouldn't use all the features (internet and email) of a smartphone, that she mainly wants it for texting, for a camera, and to make calls. She also said a sliding keyboard would be cool....so I'll look into that LG you guys were talking about. Thanks!

1) Yeah, I don't like Apple but normally I would just get my mom what she wanted (I got her an Ipod for her birthday last year even though I won't buy one for myself), but I don't think she is going to use all the gadgets that come with it that she'd be paying up the wazoo for. She's not a tech-y type o' gal.

2) I said before that I was thinking of a blackberry but am hesitant because I don't think she will use the features. I could be wrong. Blackberries are cheaper than Iphones, so I would pick that over the Iphone.

3) I live in California, mom lives in VA. So I can't really take her to the store. I'm also someone that loves to give surprises as gifts. I don't like people knowing what I'm getting them. Of course I could ask her to go to the ATT store out there and see what she likes, but just because she likes it in person does not mean it is a good, reliable phone that won't break. That is why I am asking for opinions.

Ok. It makes a bit more sense now.

The one thing I would say (and yes I am biased) is that the iPhone is a lot more intuitive than a blackberry. If you are a techy type person, that might not matter. There are lots of phones with great features. But where the iPhone shines for most people is that it makes those features really easy to use. In other words, (IMO) your mom would be more likely to use extra features like GPS Google maps,a weather App, email, and text on an iPhone than other phones.

I you really don't think she would use things like that, then by all means get a nice, basic phone.

But if you do, I honestly think the iPhone is the most user friendly phone available. And if she already is using an iPod, she's got a head start on the iPhone already. It *is* the one she mentioned, after all. ;)

But if you do, I honestly think the iPhone is the most user friendly phone available. And if she already is using an iPod, she's got a head start on the iPhone already. It *is* the one she mentioned, after all. ;)

haha yeah, but she mentioned it while we were talking like, "how about an iphone?" I bet she has never even held one or played with one, just heard about it in passing. I also know that she would not want to pay for a data plan every month on top of paying for minutes. That is actually the main reason I don't want to get it for her.

I don't know, I'll think about it. Maybe you're right, maybe after she tries it and plays with it she'll like it and will use the stuff on it. But she doesn't use the REAL computer or REAL email that much anyway, so I can't see her doing it on her phone. But who knows.

She also said she really wants a real keyboard, not touch-screen.

I don't know, would it be worth suprising her with one for xmas and then being like, "Surprise! Now you have to pay an extra $50 a month on top of your minutes charges in order to use all this stuff that you might not even use!"

Definitely look into that LG phone. Momma HockeySC23 is very happy with it because she wanted to text more but definitely wouldn't take advantage of a blackberry or iPhone. I played around with it for a little bit. Definitely a good little reliable phone with a nice screen and keyboard.

And the best part is it shouldn't be too exp. after the upgrade so if she really did want to move to a blackberry or iPhone later it wouldn't be too bad.

Definitely look into that LG phone. Momma HockeySC23 is very happy with it because she wanted to text more but definitely wouldn't take advantage of a blackberry or iPhone. I played around with it for a little bit. Definitely a good little reliable phone with a nice screen and keyboard.

And the best part is it shouldn't be too exp. after the upgrade so if she really did want to move to a blackberry or iPhone later it wouldn't be too bad.

yeah, it's free with the upgrade...I"m looking into it

haha yeah, but she mentioned it while we were talking like, "how about an iphone?" I bet she has never even held one or played with one, just heard about it in passing. I also know that she would not want to pay for a data plan every month on top of paying for minutes. That is actually the main reason I don't want to get it for her.

I don't know, I'll think about it. Maybe you're right, maybe after she tries it and plays with it she'll like it and will use the stuff on it. But she doesn't use the REAL computer or REAL email that much anyway, so I can't see her doing it on her phone. But who knows.

She also said she really wants a real keyboard, not touch-screen.

I don't know, would it be worth suprising her with one for xmas and then being like, "Surprise! Now you have to pay an extra $50 a month on top of your minutes charges in order to use all this stuff that you might not even use!"

Your point on data plans in general is well taken. It's a lot of money if you aren't going to use it. But the iPhone data plan is the same as the blackberry. Data is $30 per month above your phone plan.

I'm not trying to sway you to an iPhone so much as to give it a fair evaluation. It may very well not be the best phone for your mom. I'm just saying it might be. ;)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

Good luck with whatever you chose.

I have the Neon because I didn't want a phone with everything on it. I am not even a fan of texting but I have friends that like to text so the Neon saves some time. It is pretty basic. If she wants the sliding keyboard, pictures and calling, it would be a good phone for her. It has some apps on it and you can add a few to it, but nothing crazy. LG has another slide keyboard phone called Xenon, I believe. It is $99 with an upgrade.

I can have my girl post about her phone on here if you want. She uses it for texting and talking and it has good features. It might be around the 100 price point at this time, maybe less for a renewal.

EDIT: Samsung Eternity Phone. But they make another one that has the slide out keyboard.

Archived