Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Face-Off With a Deadly Predator

nonniey

Granted, she may have thought that he was a baby seal, but mammals rule. ;)

That's why I say we shouldn't discount what other mammals are capable of, in terms of emotions or even thought. And that it's not hypocritical to care more and want to protect mammals more than snakes or insects. It's common sense based not only on our ability to relate to these creatures but due to the fact these mammals have more to offer as living things than these other forms of life.

Mammals are more human than those other animals and they are capable of cognitive feats that are worthy of respect.

That said, some birds are fairly interesting and seem quite intelligent as well.

Leapard Seals must be pretty tough. I saw a nature documentary on Penguins in Madigascar and they were taking on a lion and many wild dogs. Highly organized creatures. It's hard to imagine anything preying upon such beasts. Lepard seals must be tough.

I think the guy should have taken one of them and pretended to eat it just so future relations between leopard seals and humans would have a basis in inter-mammal cooperation. :D It would have made Ghost happy and been cool too.

As for your argument Ghost, why is the fact they're more appealing to us a basis for assigning them importance? Many creatures that aren't appealing are much more important to our ability to live on earth, say honey bees. Letting touchy feely get involved with science is not healthy!

As for your argument Ghost, why is the fact they're more appealing to us a basis for assigning them importance? Many creatures that aren't appealing are much more important to our ability to live on earth, say honey bees. Letting touchy feely get involved with science is not healthy!

I'm not saying that we should exterminate creatures with which we feel no affinity (or is it that "for which we feel no..?") I'm just saying that people act as if you're a hypocrite for having more fellow-feeling, affinity, understanding and compassion for mammals than you do for a ****roach or snake. Now, I like snakes more than roaches but the point stands---the things that make humans unique and a special 'creation' are the things that you find most frequently in mammals.

Remember the elephant (I think there are a couple) that engage in painting and even do self-images (they are aware of their own existence) or the chimpanzees or gorillas that can be taught sign language--dolphins and their acts of rescue (and apparently leopard seals lol) and compassion for human beings?

All of the things that compel human beings to write, paint, sculpt and compose music about--our experience of being aware and alive---can be found in mammals to some degree or another. Perhaps a few birds. Now, that's not to say intelligence is limited to mammals or even birds. They say octopi and squid are fairly intelligent too. Whether they have the capacity for emotion and compassion that many mammals seem to have is another debate.

I'm not saying that science should put more of an emphasis on one group or another (except obviously, we want cures for ourselves and our animal companions lol) but that the very underpinnings of our moral codes and our natural human emotions are found in mammals and if we deem ourselves worthy of protection and empathy and compassion, then that should be extended to a reasonable degree to mammals--and that is OK.

That's a nice way to put it and I didn't think you were proposing large scale exterminations. Our personal preferences are just that and screw anyone who doesn't like it - I got your back there! The reasons they usually give for rationalizing the exceptional amount of research and time given to the study of mammals and other animals that make good entertainment is that money is raised for the study and protection of many that no one thinks about much. I approve of that message!

Archived