Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A couple head coaching ideas

turlockskinsfan

I'm not exactly concerned about the HC position as I am who will be making that callin the off season...will it be Dan & Vinny or a new Team President telling Vinny you're fired and Dan to sit down and shut up.

If Dan & Vinny are still calling the shots...it doesn't matter who the coach is.

Michigan wanted a taste of the new trendy spread offense that Rodriguez runs.

Harbaugh was an up and comer at best when that happened, so why would Michigan have even considered him (alumni ties at best).

Just my :2cents:.

from freinds who are wolverine fans i take this with a grain of salt as well

harbaugh rubbed the alumini the wrong way when he was contacted about the job.. he did not seem overwhelmed , he just seem ho hum about it...

If I were Washington, I would consider offering Mike Shanahan the GM position instead of the head coach position. Then, I could see Shanahan replacing Zorn with Jim Harbaugh and keeping Sherm Lewis on board.

Blache would also be gone and all other assistant coaches could interview for a position.

If this happens, we almost definitely end up drafting a QB.

It could be someone like Claussen or Bradford or we could trade down and grab an O-lineman or 2 and then maybe grab Tony Pike from Cinncy.

Way to early to tell though, so just having some fun speculating.:)

I don't know about Shanahan as the GM, but I like the general idea and structure you mention.

I like having a VP of football operations (someone like Holmgren, for example). I'd love that guy to pick someone like Harbaugh (I've loved Captain Comeback since I was in high school...the guy is a winner). Then, those two could work together to fill out a staff.

To me, that would be the perfect type of set up for the 2010 Redskins.

Michigan wanted a taste of the new trendy spread offense that Rodriguez runs.

Harbaugh was an up and comer at best when that happened, so why would Michigan have even considered him (alumni ties at best).

Just my :2cents:.

Do you mean why "woudn't" have Michigan even considered him? Because I don't understand why you would ask Why they would.

Has there been successful GMs that were ex-head coaches?

Parcells, by all accounts, is doing a good job of running the Miami front office. Granted, he's not the GM. I would want someone as the VP of football operations (a Parcells-like position) to hire a GM and/or coach.

If we get someone as a VP, I don't really care who they hire. However, a winner like Harbaugh (at 45) is very intriguing.

Last time I posted I got banned for a couple days but here goes. I was thinking maybe we could hire Jim Harbaugh as a HC or Jason Garrett. Here are my reasons why.

First Harbaugh has won games wherever he went as a player or coach. He knows how to win, he's got balls of steel (going for 2 to hang a nickel on USC) and he's a motivator. I live in California and Stanford never gets run but before Harbaugh got to Stanford the program was in shambles, and now he wins with inferior pieces. They don't get the top recruits like USC, but they can somehow beat them 2 out of 3? How? It's called coaching folks.

Now for the Jason Garrett argument. Ok I know we've all been down this road before with Norv, but this guy can coach. Look what he has done with Romo sits to pee and Austin, he took a couple of undrafted free agents and made them pro-bowlers. He takes a cowboys offense that probably doesn't have as much talent at the skill positions that the Redskins have and he makes them perform . He puts his guys in position to make plays and is able to counter what a defense (aside from Green Bay yesterday) throws at them.

I hope that whoever our next GM is he knows what he is doing and hires one of these guys.

Garret absolutely not, we've tried the Cowboy rehash before, as for Harbaugh, I like the guy, and he has the kind of Character in the mold of what Joe Gibbs was, I'd definitely consider giving the guy an interview, but I'm not sure he'd be top on my list right now.

Considering we might gut everything and totally rebuild. Hire Jauron as DC, he has ALWAYS has great defenses and bring over their ST coach too cause they are good also. As for HC, Id say Cam Cameron, I know he stunk in his only year at Miami, but I like his philosophy. You would have to make him HC cause Ravens would not let him go to pursue a job equal to one he has with them. You cant give him GM duties cause we dont need a Tedd Ginn Jr.

Last time I posted I got banned for a couple days but here goes. I was thinking maybe we could hire Jim Harbaugh as a HC or Jason Garrett. Here are my reasons why.

First Harbaugh has won games wherever he went as a player or coach. He knows how to win, he's got balls of steel (going for 2 to hang a nickel on USC) and he's a motivator. I live in California and Stanford never gets run but before Harbaugh got to Stanford the program was in shambles, and now he wins with inferior pieces. They don't get the top recruits like USC, but they can somehow beat them 2 out of 3? How? It's called coaching folks.

Now for the Jason Garrett argument. Ok I know we've all been down this road before with Norv, but this guy can coach. Look what he has done with Romo sits to pee and Austin, he took a couple of undrafted free agents and made them pro-bowlers. He takes a cowboys offense that probably doesn't have as much talent at the skill positions that the Redskins have and he makes them perform . He puts his guys in position to make plays and is able to counter what a defense (aside from Green Bay yesterday) throws at them.

I hope that whoever our next GM is he knows what he is doing and hires one of these guys.

I actually go to Stanford and I love Harbaugh. I love his fire, passion (going for the 2 when it was 48-21), game preparation, playcalling (run, run, run...beat the crap out of the opposing D), and the fact that he was a pro QB for 15 years.

I don't see him leaving Stanford though

Harbaugh has definate possibilities, but the GM you match up with him better be a Top guy. Jim has shown he can get alot out of his colledge players. But Im not sure hes ready for the difference that comes with NFL players. So the GM would have to build a talented young team around him so they all could be on the same page. Plus bring in respectful Vets who appreciate Jims time as Pro himself. Without a doubt though this guy is one of those coaches who might fly under the radar and fall into the right teams lap and accomplish what his brother has done in Baltimore.

Considering we might gut everything and totally rebuild. Hire Jauron as DC, he has ALWAYS has great defenses and bring over their ST coach too cause they are good also. As for HC, Id say Cam Cameron, I know he stunk in his only year at Miami, but I like his philosophy. You would have to make him HC cause Ravens would not let him go to pursue a job equal to one he has with them. You cant give him GM duties cause we dont need a Tedd Ginn Jr.

I think I'd rather hire billick before Cameron.

I like Garrett a lot as a coach. He's definitely an offensive-minded guy and I wouldn't mind him getting a shot here at all. Harbaugh, I'm not as familiar with but I tend to fear getting a guy right out of a college coaching gig (Spurrier syndrome).

Personally, I like Jeff Fisher but the Titans are doing a lot better as of recently so he may end up hanging on to his job, if not though I think he's a great coach that's still hungry for that Super Bowl win.

I like John Fox too, I feel like he's a good coach in a bad situation. He's a big defensive guy and he likes to run the football. Not that I necessarily want to be a smashmouth team again but I still think he's a good candidate. My only problem with him was his refusal to bench Delhomme, but I think that may be due to not having anyone behind him that could take over.

Either way, I definitely do not want Shanahan/Cowher/Holmgren/etc. I want a guy that's got his head in the game and wants to build a winning franchise, year after year. Not a guy that Snyder lured back with his money to get us to the playoffs once or twice.

You want a Cowboys off. coordinator Jason Garrett....NO WAY.

Jones will never let that happen (thank god) and if he lets it happen....I don't trust it, maby Garrett then let us lose on purpose so the Boyz can finish above us. Never trust a cowboy.

Harbaugh is interesting, I like the way the team is playing and how he juses freshman QB Andrew Luck. But I don't know if he would be a good NFL head coach. If he comes I would like him to take Toby Gerhart with him, I love the kid....he is a oldskool power runner.

Who I would consider:

Russ Grimm, I want to have real Redskins football back. Grimm can bring that back, no doubt. He can work together with Bugel in bringing a big strong off. line back, if the o-line is set and we got a run game going...there isn't mush what can go wrong.

Darrell Bevell (off.c. Vikings), that off. is rolling. Good o-line, great RB, solid QB, playmaking WR's. He is young, very young but he could be tha answer for years to come. The only thing that worries me is the QB part, before Farver they (I gess Bevell also) thought that Jackson could be the 'francise' QB.

Charlie Strong (D.c. Gators), the guy knows how to run a (college) D# and to develop young guys. I think he could be a great HC, he looks like a smart guy and he would be the most intimidating HC. He can really look angry :P.

Maybe the first point of business would be to just hire a well-regarded GM to conduct the business of recruiting an HC and assembling the new staff.

Given enough money and the right contract -- I think Dan Snyder could lure in a decent GM. He needs to raid one of the other franchises, say for the president of Football operations, and promise to give that guy full reins for running the Redskins. Someone like Pittsburgh's Jim Colbert comes to mind, as a good candidate.

Otherwise there are the traditional choices like the Casserly's, and Allens, etc out there -- someone who could suffice. Even Marty Shottenheimer might make a decent GM, although I don't think he'd come back here.

As for head-coach, I suspect whoever the new Skins FO brings in, that guy would have to be guaranteed at least 3 years to rebuild, and the owners door to players be closed. The HC will need to be tough, but also have a staff that can develop talent as well. I suspect the Skins will have to bring in more young players -- and there's going to be a learning curve. And for this to happen, there can be no undermining of the HC and coaching staffs' authority.

You want a Cowboys off. coordinator Jason Garrett....NO WAY.

Jones will never let that happen (thank god) and if he lets it happen....I don't trust it, maby Garrett then let us lose on purpose so the Boyz can finish above us. Never trust a cowboy.

:laugh:

WTF man, I hope that was a joke.

There is too much love for Grimm around here....seriously.

And Gruden? He alienated himself from his players. SINCE taking Dungy's team to the Super Bowl and beating his old team by openly saying he new everything they were going to run, he has only had 2 winning seasons and has posted a record of .400.

I'm not impressed.

I've been on the Schottenheimer bandwagon. You know bring in Marty for GM and his son from the Jets as HC, maybe keep the defense the same, bring in a new special teams coach and all new positional coach's.

The more I think about it DS most likely will not eat crow and bring Marty back in. Even though he says he's good friends with him now.

So I got to thinking after watching the Colts game last night, why can't we have an offense as good as that. That can put up points and manage the clock well as well as a decent 2min. drill? So I took the time to look into their team a little and was wondering what you guys thought about:

1) DS picking up the Colts GM's son Chris Polian as GM.

2) Bringing in the Colts SR. OC Tom Moore as HC. He's been in the league for 32yrs, he has 22yrs as an OC, and has been 12yrs with the Colts. They have had one of the best offenses since 1999. The only draw back is he's 70yrs old I think. Maybe he brings in one of his young Assistants to learn his offense for when he retires to keep continuity.

Out of curiousity, What is your fascination with the Schottenheimers? Remember Marty was GM here in 2001 and drafted Rod Gardner in the 1st round over both Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne. As for Brian, I don't know one way or the other whether or not he's head coaching material but if you're going to take a chance on an unproven guy, I just assume Danny hire Grimmer.

Secondly, who knows about Chris Polian, but what makes you think Tom Moore would leave the Colts to come here?

So I got to thinking after watching the Colts game last night, why can't we have an offense as good as that. That can put up points and manage the clock well as well as a decent 2min.

Why can't we have an offense as good as that? The Skins don't have a HOF QB, a great OL, Reggie Wayne, and the best TE in the league Dallas Clark.

The list of potential coaches is short. Cowher, Dungy, & Holmgren aren't coming here, and it looks like Gruden is signed long term with ESPN. I'm not a fan of Shanny or Billick, so I'm hoping they look at a hot coordinator with a sound football philosophy who's been successful and knows how to surround himself with good assistants.

But who the head coach is next year doesn't matter if Vinny isn't canned at the end of the season.

Out of curiousity, What is your fascination with the Schottenheimers? Remember Marty was GM here in 2001 and drafted Rod Gardner in the 1st round over both Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne. As for Brian, I don't know one way or the other whether or not he's head coaching material but if you're going to take a chance on an unproven guy, I just assume Danny hire Grimmer.

Secondly, who knows about Chris Polian, but what makes you think Tom Moore would leave the Colts to come here?

Why can't we have an offense as good as that? The Skins don't have a HOF QB, a great OL, Reggie Wayne, and the best TE in the league Dallas Clark.

The list of potential coaches is short. Cowher, Dungy, & Holmgren aren't coming here, and it looks like Gruden is signed long term with ESPN. I'm not a fan of Shanny or Billick, so I'm hoping they look at a hot coordinator with a sound football philosophy who's been successful and knows how to surround himself with good assistants.

But who the head coach is next year doesn't matter if Vinny isn't canned at the end of the season.

Schottenheimer signed Pierce as a UDFA and stole Smoot, who was expected to go in the first, in the 2nd round also.

Schottenheimer signed Pierce as a UDFA and stole Smoot, who was expected to go in the first, in the 2nd round also.

I'd much rather a top flight assistant GM of a team that's been successful who's ready to move up to the GM position and has something to prove. Marty hit on Smoot & Pierce but he still dropped the ball on Gardner who was a 1st rounder. I'm not condemning Marty as someone who may be a decent GM, just saying the Redskins situation being what it is I wouldn't take the chance on him but rather a young assistant GM who's been learning the ropes for 5-8 years with a successful team.

I;m more concerned with who our GM will be then the coach. The GM is the guy that picks the personnel and we need new direction in that department.

Agreed, but the right coach is important as well. I don't really care who the GM is as long as A. it's not Vinny and B. the guy has a sound football philosophy and knows what he's doing. Someone who has been a Ron Wolf/Bill Polian/Scott Pioli protege or something who knows what building a winner is all about.

Archived