Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we need a running back??

bigdoublebass

First we need an O-Line. However, if CJ Spiller is available in the Draft, he may be a good pick up. I watch a lot of Clemson games, and this guy is impressive.

In my ideal draft (if we had about 7 picks) I'd like to see this:

1. CJ Spiller

2. Left OT

3. OG

4. another OT

5. another OG

6. LB

7. CB

Something like that...seems like we need more general depth all around (O-line, LB, DB, DT). Having said that, if a guy like CJ is available, I say we take him.

He has what...About 3 years left on his contract? He could be spent by then. In all reality, this entire offense needs to be revamped. I don't see him as being the back of the future for this team, I believe he's in his twilight years.

I'd like to see this team start fresh with young players...Big, young, & cheap. I'd also like to see the offensive scheme changed too - This WC style that we're using is for the birds. It isn't working. We need new players as much as we need a new scheme. O-Line, receivers, QB. And yes, RB. Our O-Line? Out with the old & in with the new. Moss if I kept him & not use for trade bait would be a slot receiver, not the featured number one. Sorry, but the days of the 5'10" Clayton & Duper "Marks Brothers" are long gone, & we don't exactly have Dan Marino with that quick release as our QB either. We have a backup at best, but I'll keep the rest of my thoughts about that for another thread. As for Cooley? Stud. He stays.

Sorry folks, I'll stop. My post turned into a rant, I apologize for that. Well, at least I didn't start a new thread with my rant. Don't want to get that dreaded "Hi there :)".

I'd MAKE SURE to get a QB. If they trade down, (which I hope. To SF maybe? They have 2 firsts) draft an o-lineman with the first pick and QB with the second. And another idea. Trade LaRon Landry for a draft pick. 2nd if someone's in dire need of a safety, 3rd at worst. If no one trades for the Skins first, DRAFT ERIC BERRY. I know it's not offensive line, but you can not miss with him. Let Campbell go, cut Portis or restructure his contract, bye bye Betts. Let Randle Fail go. (Love him, but just not worth the money). Sign o-lineman in free agency, and draft about 3 or so. In FA, sign Pierre Thomas or Jerious Norwood. That's just a FEW things that need to be done in my opinion. Lol.

I've been advocating for a QB in the 1st and an OT in the 2nd or even trading back into the late 1st for our choice of OT, but now I'm starting to change my stance. Looking at our draft position and league-wide team needs, I think we might be able to grab an impact back with our second pick. I like the idea of going QB 1st, RB 2nd.

All the OL supporters will shoot this down, but hear me out. Bring in two FAs to compete for starting spots on the line. Also spend our 4th and 5th on offensive linemen. But let our new FO decide between Locker, Bradford, Clausen. Then it seems like we could get excellent value at RB in the late first/early second.

Looking at team needs around the league, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jahvid Best take a fall. If you look at the teams in the top 20 in standings, the Packers and Bears are the only teams that don't have RBBC or a scatback. So Best might slip to the end of the first round where we could move up to around pick 29-30 for a minimal cost (2011 3rd). Or we could sit at our pick in the 2nd and draft Jonathan Dwyer. He's 250 with breakaway speed.

As mentioned before, spend the 4th and 5th on line. Maybe target guys like Jason Fox, Ed Wang, Ciron Black or maybe some guards. Then spend the 7th on a RB to complement the earlier back. If you draft Best, then get Blount in the 7th. If you get Dwyer, go for a guy like Trindon Holliday in the 7th.

Under this situation, we could get our QB of the future, RB of the future, two FA starters on the line, two line reserves, and a change of pace back. Sit the QB. Spend early picks in 2011 on line. When our QB starts, he'll have a rebuilt line, the young WRs and TE should be acclimated, and he'll have a RBBC (Portis; Best/Dwyer; Blount/Holliday).

Ciron Black is an All American OT. How in the hell is he gonna drop to the 4th or 5th round?

That's where he's projected to go. He's considered to be in about the 4th tier of tackles. He's considered by most to be overrated, he's inconsistent and not able to play the left side at all.

I'm mostly referencing the ESPN guys projections right now. They seem to be the most accurate each year. I notice that the other guys with drastically different boards start to look more and more like ESPN boards as the draft approaches. Okung is the only OL on Kiper's Big Board, and Ciron Black is listed as his 5th senior tackle (probably no better than 7th overall OT) and is not even considered a top 100 players according to Scouts Inc.

Tier 1 - early 1st

Okung

Tier 2 - late 1st/early 2nd

Trent Williams

Bulaga

Charles Brown

Anthony Davis

Tier 3 - late 2nd/early 3rd

Tony Washington

Sam Young

Selvish Capers

Tier 4 - late 3rd/early 4th

Kyle Calloway

Jason Fox

Ed Wang

Ciron Black

Well, I'm glad all the Portis is better than Riggo silliness is finally gone.

Portis is better..Infact Riggo rushed for less than a 1000 yrds in a full season behind the HOGS...Just Imagine CP doing this ..Infact This year CP will do the same by missing two games ,and running behind this Oline..Skins fan are a joke,They are game to game fans(not you)Next week there will be a thread "the god of Ganther" lmfao..If Ganther has ONE good game and lets say LB plays bad..you will see Start Ganther threads:laugh::laugh::laugh:ES fanbase is clueless so far..Every week some random "One game Hero" will be on this board:hysterical:

With Portis' injuries (and 10,328 other factors) threatening his performance, Betts should get the start. Everyone rides him for fumbles, etc., but the evidence is there. When given carries in succession and being more than just a sub, he produces. Call it what you will, but the running production from him last game surpasses anything I've seen from CP this season. 2006 should prove that the guy is capable. Especially given the state of our offensive line, I'd prefer having Betts as a checkdown/swing pass option. That play last week when he picked up 11 or so would've been a 2 yard gain with CP the way he's been falling down on cuts this year.

The problem is the evidence supports the fact he can get yards when given more carries, but fails to find the end zone.

There's been a lot of good RB discussion in the recent pages (90-100) of the QB draft thread: http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=295979 That is quickly become a de facto draft thread. Good discussion going on in there.

There you can find my position that we need to be looking RB in the 4th round. Some one like Ben Tate, or one of the second tier Pac 10 guys (McKnight, Blount).

I would love for the Skins to pick up Spiller but the Skins main focus must be on OL in the draft wherever they are. I can understand them taking a QB with the first pick but the OL MUST be addressed in the high rounds somehow and even in the late ones. Without a solid OL there will be even less passing and less running=less scoring next season.

If we go QB first and RB with the second pick, we could really establish the identity of the team and be able to ease the QB in as a second year starter.

If Best slips, move to the end of the first and grab him. No position has first year impact like a tailback. Best could provide the breakaway ability as part of a RB duo with Portis plus a return game threat and be teamed with our defense under a more aggressive scheme. We would see immediate results.

If we stay put and draft 250 lb Dwyer, we would have the most smashmouth running attack in the league. I would assume that we make a major FA move on the line for us to draft a RB, but if you have Portis and Dwyer running behind a stud RG, we will have the most aggressive rushing attack in the league.

LaGarrett Blount.

I recommended a few posts back that I would draft him in the 7th after taking Best in the late first. Portis, Best and Blount could give us a rushing attack similar to the Ravens in 2008.

Especially if we go after a couple of free agent linemen and spend our 4th and 5th on linemen.

Archived