Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Snider (Examiner): Skins have checked out

#98QBKiller

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Skins-have-checked-out-8504799-69533527.html

Rick Snider: Skins have checked out

By: Rick Snider

Examiner Sports Columnist

November 9, 2009

It no longer matters if Redskins coach Jim Zorn stays or goes. Players already have checked out on the coaching staff.

Players and coaches can deny it, but the team clearly was not focused despite coming off a bye week. It reeks of Steve Spurrier's days. When your defensive star is fighting on the sideline of his old team, sloppy play causes 10 penalties and five sacks, and mental errors are so common they're no longer shocking, it shows the team isn't scared of the Monday film room. And when players no longer fear coaches, it's time for a change.

Not that it will do any good this season record-wise, but a change may produce better efforts than the lackluster 31-17 loss to Atlanta on Sunday. Put secondary coach Jerry Gray in charge and let him scream at players for two months. Give Gray a chance for a head coaching job somewhere by producing over the final eight games. Let players think they're gone if they don't improve. Otherwise, scores will become even more lopsided.

There's probably no salary cap next season barring a dramatic turnaround in labor negotiations. That means the Redskins can cut whomever they want without penalty. While players might think they'll sign elsewhere, many won't. After all, who wants castoffs from one of the worst teams?

Safety LaRon Landry has been awful after not attending any voluntary offseason camps. He needs to learn the NFL is a year-round job because Landry has fallen from potential All-Pro to occasional playmaker.

It may be time to part with Clinton Portis and Jason Campbell. And everyone on the offensive line. And much of the secondary. And the punt returners. And ticket takers, the ball boy, cheerleaders and parking attendants, too.

It's apparent Zorn has been undermined so badly he uses coal for eye black. The job seems more out of his grasp by the game. The Redskins are 4-12 in their last 16 games; a record they'll be lucky to replicate for this entire season. The next win seems farther away than the end of the recession.

It wasn't Zorn's fault for accepting the position. And it's not really his fault for losing it. A month of non-stop speculation over Zorn's job security has emboldened players into doing things their own way. Otherwise, DeAngelo Hall wouldn't have been on the wrong sideline exchanging taunts.

When Norv Turner was fired with three games remaining in 2000, quarterback Jeff George ignored interim coach Terry Robiskie so blatantly the two screamed at each other in the Redskins Park hallway. George sat the final game with some fictional injury after telling Robiskie he'd get the latter fired.

It's not that blatant yet, but it might as well be, because players' actions say it all. Unless someone puts fear into them, the Redskins won't win again this season.

100% true. this team needs an attitude adjustment and thats about the only thing we can do at the moment. no one is being held responsible for their actions, and that goes all the way up the chain. vinny should be canned, zorn should be fired, campbell should be replaced, hell, bench landry for horton and doughty, bench portis for betts, bench moss for mitchell, etc.

shake it up. doing what were doing gives us losses. the idea that this group is refusing to change anything is just ridiculous and frustrating.

100% true. this team needs an attitude adjustment and thats about the only thing we can do at the moment. no one is being held responsible for their actions, and that goes all the way up the chain. vinny should be canned, zorn should be fired, campbell should be replaced, hell, bench landry for horton and doughty, bench portis for betts, bench moss for mitchell, etc.

shake it up. doing what were doing gives us losses. the idea that this group is refusing to change anything is just ridiculous and frustrating.

Amen to that, I'd be happy to see every single one of those changes. We don't have anything to lose now.

The thing that really bother me? The Skins have obviously checked out, but other, arguably worse teams talent-wise, our playing their tails off. Just look at the Lions and Bucs. They're still playing hard. Why is it that the Skins are the only ones to have checked out?

Lack of quality leadership IMO.

I agree. What good is coming from keeping Zorn around? Not like we can do much worse without him this year. He's going to be gone at the end of the year anyway.

This is the first time I've actually not cared about watching Skins games. I watched the Red Zone Channel and was more worried about my fantasy team yesterday. We're just too disappointing to watch anymore.

It's not that blatant yet, but it might as well be, because players' actions say it all. Unless someone puts fear into them, the Redskins won't win again this season.[/Quote] Who is going to volunteer doing this? That puss we call a head coach doesn't know how to kindle a flame if you gave him gasoline, much less then scold a player or get them on fire for a game.

Lack of quality leadership IMO.

I think it's more a combination of a weak willed HC that has no concept of discipline and taking charge of the situation; and piss poor personal attitudes from a multitude of players, more often than not vet. has beens/never was, who think there better than they ever were and take solace in the ridiculous pay check we garner them with to keep on believing that.

Hail.

I agree. What good is coming from keeping Zorn around? Not like we can do much worse without him this year. He's going to be gone at the end of the year anyway.

Agreed 100%...no need in keeping this charade going any longer...bite the financial bullett Danny and let him go now.

I CAN"T WAIT for this coming offseason. It will be probably the biggest offseason we have seen and that's saying something.

The player cuts, the coaching changes, the GM switch and dare I say even Snyder changing his ways.

Can't wait, gigady gigady

I CAN"T WAIT for this coming offseason. It will be probably the biggest offseason we have seen and that's saying something.

The player cuts, the coaching changes, the GM switch and dare I say even Snyder changing his ways.

Can't wait, gigady gigady

I agree that we will see SOME player changes, but nothing has shown me that a Vinny will be gone and Snyder will change his ways.

The sad thing for me is that I no longer watch the games thinking that they have a chance of winning, but rather to see how bad it's going to be. And not just how bad the score will be, but really to see how bad the entire situation described by the Examiner will be.

I agree with all but Moss, even with the dropped passes he is far outperforming Thomas and Kelly. Either one should be benched for this kid Mitchell and shown they won't have a job unless they earn one.

Even tho I do like the Z man, Snider has a very valid point. These guys need some tough love. And Gray has that look about him. I'd at least like for us to get some momentum going into the brokebacker bowl on the Sunday before Thankgiving. I really would love the thought of all those poke fans choking on their turkey!

I agree that we will see SOME player changes, but nothing has shown me that a Vinny will be gone and Snyder will change his ways.

A friend of mine has a theory that Both Snyder and Vinny will stay, that they will not change their philosophy. Instead the no cap thing will grant Snyder the opportunity to show that his philosophy can work by keeping the team as it is but bringing in high priced Depth behind the starters and a well known coach like cowher to make it work.

Instead of using the no cap year to really start over, he expects snyder to give it one last blast with no rules. it actually is a real possibility that snyder will not change at seeing the 2-14 record, instead he will just go over board next season since there is no cap.

The thing that really bother me? The Skins have obviously checked out, but other, arguably worse teams talent-wise, our playing their tails off. Just look at the Lions and Bucs. They're still playing hard. Why is it that the Skins are the only ones to have checked out?

because the bucs and lions are full of young hungry kids who just want to play and prove themselves.

the skins are full of overpaid vets who dont care.

bucs and lions both have rookie QB trying to make names for themselves, we currently have a QB who will be fighting for a backup job next year. they have young players scattered all throughout their rosters, we have a few youngsters here and there.

I agree with all but Moss, even with the dropped passes he is far outperforming Thomas and Kelly. Either one should be benched for this kid Mitchell and shown they won't have a job unless they earn one.

I'd personally bench El Ste.

Hell, not just bench him, but swallow our pride on the money and not even dress the over hyped, over paid never was.

Mitchell, Thomas and Kelly should all but getting serious on-field playing time alongside Moss these next 8 games to evaluate them and see if any are worth keeping going forward.

Of course it would help if we had anything like a decent QB on the roster to get them the ball, but beggars can't be choosers in our situation. :silly:

Hail

Well who's right, Rick Snider or Sally Jenkins? Sally Jenkins writes that after a horrid first half, instead of giving up on the game and the season, they came out the second half and fought back.

I tend to agree more with Jenkins in this case. This is a bad BAD football team, but I am still seeing fight in many, if not most, of the players.

Archived