Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did the Defense quit for the season or just this week?

skinsfanno9

Considering they had a whole extra week off and then flat out quit on the field, you gotta wonder whether the defense just decided to extend their vacation for an extra week or whether they pondered things over the break and just decided to quit for the rest of the season?

Anyone disagree that the defense quit on the field?

My answer is that after looking at the circus that is the Redskins these days, they've probably decided it just doesn't matter, and have tossed in the towel for the season.

Point wise the defense allowed 24.......I wouldn't necessarily call it a horrible effort.

Hopes for the D have been raised because of the decent performance against some of the NFL's bottom feeders. Sooner or later, you have to expect a bit of a letdown, especially against a decent team like Atlanta.

Blache's scheme sucks. Period. The players are out of position constantly. The 10 yard WR/CB cushion is appalling. We never blitz when we need to and when we do, they are poorly designed.

Their needs to be a complete culling of the coaching staff including our beloved Dannyboy apologist DC.

I dont blame the D. I just think no matter what we do we just find ways to lose. Offence finally shows some signs of life and they cant hold.

It was the same second half of last season. We just find ways to lose.

:doh:

I would submit that we found a pretty easy way to lose - we stopped giving effort, and gave up on tackling the opposing players.

I agree the defensive play calling by Blache is a joke...the main reason that Blache hasn't talked to the media is because he knows his scheme sucks and is causing big plays to occur. I think the comments earlier about the cb cushion is a major issue. I understand not wanting to let up the big play but it is like we live and die by protecting against the big play by having landry deep ( I mean we have been playing this defense since gregg williams was here) these guys love playing the safety in center field and the right and left fielders (hall and rogers) are playing on the warning track waiting for a catch at the outfield wall

the Redskins defense has not faced very good competition over the first 7 games, and now with the better teams coming up schedule-wise I think you are going to see that some of the players on this unit are overrated and overpaid.

even though he is still a force at times inside, it is also clear that Haynesworth is still playing 15-20 pounds above what he did for Tenn last season and that may in part account for his coming in and out of the lineup with nagging injuries.

DeAngelo Hall has 3 interceptions but has shown himself to be a poor tackler in the open field and in run support.

For what the Redskins are paying him his all-around game should be a lot better than it has been at 2-6.

Today, the defensive line was pushed back and allowed Michael Turner to blow by for large gains that deflated any comebacks the team was fashioning.

Yes, Landry and Hall missed tackles on Turner but then again both players were encountering him 15-20 yards down the field.

Where were the DL and linebackers? Where was the strong safety?

Right now I think the difference is the offense simply lacks the talent to be effective.

Whereas the defense has the talent overall to be effective, but in some cases the players are being played out of position and in other cases you have players that are free-lancing and not playing the scheme and are not being held to account for it.

Haynesworth didn't keep gap control on a couple of the inside rushes that Turner took down the field.

Hall gambles a LOT on the pick and leaves the team in the lurch when he isn't able to get his hands on the ball.

Orakpo is not a natural LB and is frequently out of position as the SAM.

Horton and Doughty are being exposed as neither has the quickness to make plays down the field.

The DL and linebackers played their usual game.

the secondary on the other hand....

Everyone now knows Landry flat out stinks. He takes bad angles and dives at the feet of every single tackle he tries to make, unless it's on a guy who's already out of bounds,, then he blows them up.

Carlos Rogers plays so deep off of receivers and turns his back on so many blocks that I sincerely think he's afraid to play the game. I honestly question his heart and his courage.

Horton can't find the ballcarrier. Doughty is coming around as a pretty good tackler this year, but lining up in the neutral zone is indicative of one thing... BAD COACHING.

Hall got lucky today that the Falcons realized how easy it would be to pick on Rogers all day that they more or less left him alone. One come back out route that Roddy White ran in front of him in the first half had Daryl Johnston telling everyone how Hall was just sitting on the ball and Ryan got lucky.

M<aybe it was just me but i saw White drop a ball that hit him dead in the hands while Hall was lazily turning pirouettes 3 yards away.

His role in the fight was just a punk-ass move.

Our secondary is terrible. Badly coached and severely lacking in talent / heart / guts. No one can convince me LaRon Landry can play football at this level. No one.

I don't think he can tackle ME.

~Bang

I'd didn't watch the entire game, but it seems like the Redskins defense just isn't as good as some of the fans think they are. They've been playing practice squads all year long so of course they're going to have some excellent stats, but just like last year, they are prone to giving up big plays.

Every defense we face is more aggressive than ours. Playing so soft brings out no energy no passion for the game is seen. Our defense gives fans little to cheer about. It spills over to the players. Do you think Wilson wants to chase Gonzo in the end zone or attack Ryan? Both Landry and Orakpo are playing out of their best positions otherwise we are a very strong team on paper.

The only time we get off the field is when the QB throws an errant pass.

Blache calls the most passive defense in the league. Always has always will. Our offense has to play mistake free for Blache's scheme to work. All teams makes mistakes for one, and two, our offense is horrible. GB needed to roll the dice and play aggressive like all other teams do, to pressure teams force turnovers, and gain momentum field position and everything else.

Blache is a failure that is unable to adjust. Same thing every game.

The defense gives up key plays and big plays too much w/out making big plays of their own like actually causing a few turnovers! The defense can still keep any team with a normal offense in a game, but the redskins offense is extraordinarily CRAPPY so that doesn't really matter. the offense gives up a safety or a TD return every game it seems like and thats no helping things obviously. The redskins D has been pretty weak against the run all season. i wasn't surprised m.turner got those big runs. when is Landry gonna force some turnovers?

I'd didn't watch the entire game, but it seems like the Redskins defense just isn't as good as some of the fans think they are. They've been playing practice squads all year long so of course they're going to have some excellent stats, but just like last year, they are prone to giving up big plays.

Maybe you guys are right - perhaps the defense didn't quit. You are essentially saying they sucked from the get-go, but it wasn't as noticeable due to playing sub-par teams. That's a reasonable position I suppose.

But it really looked to me like they had a total lack of effort on a number of those running plays. Are you really saying they've had a total lack of effort on the defense all year?

Archived