Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If still here VC may draft Eric Berry

EliMustDie28

I have been watching every tennesse game this year (that has been televised). Berry is the truth. Lets just imagine that the following scenarios play out.

1. C. Rogers leaves (free agency)

2. VC is not fired (Damn it)

3. Redskins have top 5 pick

4. Berry forgoes senoir season

VC will draft Berry if he is on the board. Berry can play corner, or he could be FS and we could move LL to SS. We all know how much DS and VC love dbs. Is this smart knowing that we need OL and a fran. QB? No it's not. But Berry is special and will be too tempting for Vinny to pass on. This is just a thought I was having. I doubt it will happen. What do yall think?

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

No way LL moves to SS. He can't tackle as a FS as it is, and you want to move him to a more physical spot where he would be required to make tackles routinely instead of just flailing at people?

Not a wise move IMO.

Jason Campbell will be a restricted free agent more than likely, depending on if their is a new CBA. But in the likely event of an uncapped year, 5th year players are RFA.

With that being said, I don't see how O-Line isn't the pick. Unless Levi Jones turns into a beast and Chris Samuels comes back.

The redskins' strength is the defense. If the skins have a shot at Eric Berry they should take it. Teams can be very competitive with a mediocre or bad QB and a stellar defense. Look at rex grossman and the Bears. First 3 rounds should go defense, Berry, OLB and MLB.

Pick up Winston Justice as a FA to play LT, and Logan Mankins at guard. Also Jeremy Trueblood is also a FA. There are ALOT of FA OLman this year. Alot of which are young and great players.

Lower 4 rounds, use them BPA on offense. prob need a new FB soon, draft a new RB, maybe an OLman if we didnt get them in FA.

My point is, skins dont HAVE to go OL in the first round of the draft. plenty of teams draft in the 3rd 4th round and find gems. The key is drafting OL every year. over and over again. and them some more.

Skins got to stop trying to win now. There arnt too many great QBs in this years draft... Bradford will likely be a bust. Tebow is a wildcat fullback, Jake Locker is an underclassman, I suspect Ryan Mallet is a sophomore who looks to pull a Joe Flacco. Colt McCoy's arm is definetely in question, so although hes a good prospect, hes not a complete one. This draft has no Mannings or Brees prospects. I suspect one of the better QBs will slip to the 2nd round, and you can have a game manager.

Point is. The skins are not going to be competitive next year no matter what you do. So, might as well draft BPA this year. ESPECIALLY since ALOT of players will be coming out this year in order to beat the upcoming slotted salary system.

In fact, skins should trade away some players for picks and seriously consider trading down. Look at the chiefs, they suck, because they decided to blow up everything and start from scratch. They suck today, but in a few years, they will be very very competitive. (assuming they keep drafting well...)

Quit trying to patch things up in a year!

If Berry is the best player on the board, I say take him. Many scouts will agree that Berry is the best player in this entire draft. Vinny always comes out and says that they take BPA, the problem is that Vinny's draft board seems to be upside down at times.

That said, Vinny and company have done okay with a few picks at the top of the draft; Sean Taylor and Orakpo were home runs. Landry and Rogers have been a disapointment in my opinion. Though, I really can't fault the Landry selection as I thought he would be a star. The trio of 2nd round picks from two years ago was terrible though I partially understand their logic of loading up on receivers for the WCO. Multiple areas should have been addressed there and I think Vinny's claim that the three guys were the highest rated on board is questionable. The obsession with LB and hybrid FB/TE in the mid rounds is puzzling.

Saying BPA is what got us here is inaccurate at best. You have to account for who is making that determination; Therein lies the rub. Reaching for need can be just as disasterous. If we reach for OT and he turns out to be Mike Williams or Levi Jones, then we have blown a top ten pick if the consensus in the scouting world is that Berry is the next Ed Reed.

Hopefully, we will have a competant GM who can evaluate all the avenues to adding talent: free agency, trades, and the draft. If Berry is added to the talent of our current defense, we could have something really special on that side of the ball. I get really nervous about locking into one particular area of focus simply to address need. The current neglect of the OL goes much farther than simply who was targeted in the first round.

I don't think any team should pass on that kid. He is incredible.

This draft looks deep at QB in the second round and on.

This FA (with no cap) period looks heavy on O line.

I'd like to see LL traded, I'm sick of watching missed tackles.

Daniels will be done I think and Jarmon can start. We need another LB.

Point is. The skins are not going to be competitive next year no matter what you do. So, might as well draft BPA this year. ESPECIALLY since ALOT of players will be coming out this year in order to beat the upcoming slotted salary system.

In fact, skins should trade away some players for picks and seriously consider trading down. Look at the chiefs, they suck, because they decided to blow up everything and start from scratch. They suck today, but in a few years, they will be very very competitive. (assuming they keep drafting well...)

Quit trying to patch things up in a year!

If you don't address the OLine you delay the skins ever getting better. Your view here is just as short sighted as the redskins. All you think about are starting players. The skins need to draft a large VOLUME of offensive lineman. They need prospects and starters. They need DEPTH and a future at those positions. It doesn't mean people want to do it to make next year a superbowl year... it means start now because you have nothing at the position at the moment. The entire line other than Dockery needs replacing. That means 4 starters at least 2 backups. That is going to take years of drafting and free agency.

Putting it off for another year because you like a defensive back (one of the more over rated positions in football) is just plain foolish.

NO WAY! This is part of the reason why our offense stinks!! We drafted 2 top 10 safeties while our offense is anemic and, at the time, we had no pass rush .

The defense, except for aging DEs, is fine right now. Our most pressing needs are on offense....2 QBs, 2 OTs, G, RB, WR (looks like DT & MK are busts).

I don't think any team should pass on that kid. He is incredible.

This draft looks deep at QB in the second round and on.

This FA (with no cap) period looks heavy on O line.

I'd like to see LL traded, I'm sick of watching missed tackles.

Daniels will be done I think and Jarmon can start. We need another LB.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Would it be a bad move to have drafted Peterson? I actually like Landry and hope he turns his game up with the rest of the season, but if there was a chance to get Berry and we had to trade LL... Nice knowing you Laron.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Would it be a bad move to have drafted Peterson? I actually like Landry and hope he turns his game up with the rest of the season, but if there was a chance to get Berry and we had to trade LL... Nice knowing you Laron.

If we could trade LL for a second rounder, we could move right back into the first round and take a top tier OL/QB/ whatever.

We have a need for CB, if Rogers is gone. Be prepared for us to draft one.

In a perfect world.

The Skins draft a LT in the first round and a LG in the second.

Fix one side of the line for a decade.

Move Dockery to RG. Hope that between Heyer/Williams/Jones we have a servicable RT for 2010 and for the love of god, replace Drive Killer Rabach with anyone.

Fix the Oline. Everything else is unimportant until that is done.

Ok, I completely like the idea. But if you're going to draft a guard, why not just draft a RG, and leave Dock where he is?

Personally, I think that they need to draft a RT. Because Heyer is not a starting quality Right Tackle. I think they need (and this is terrifying) a new LT, RG, RT, and C. I don't think they can do all of that in one year. But LT, RT are the most needy in the draft, and then find somebody in FA for RG. (I'm assuming the thought of Randy Thomas coming back is vetoed.)

Rabach probably gets one more year.

I'm torn between OL and QB myself. If we go OL, we have to find some above average journeyman (a Mark Brunell or Brad Johnson type) to keep everything together. I think the outside shot is more RB than DB.

how?

why?

a great OL can make a mediocre QB look great

a crappy OL can make a great QB look crappy

what is the point in investing in a QB when you have noone to block for him?

Campbell is going to be an RFA next year, so we can keep him for 110% of his salary this year (= 3.15M) which qualifies him as a 1st / 3rd round tender. We wouldn't have the option of the lower tenders because they are less than his salary this year. We could do the same with Rogers, but the min we would pay him would be 1.55M (2nd round tender). I would go for it with Carlos, and hope that someone signs him....

Anyways, with Campbell available for another year on the cheap - use our top picks on Olinemen. As it stands, we are probably poised for a top five pick, which could probably net us one of the top 2 OT's and probably the top OG or OC in the 2nd round.

Line looks something like

OT: Pick

OG: Dockery

OC: Pick or Rabach

OG: Pick or Rinehart

OT: Heyer, Williams, or Jones

I don't want Rabach, Rinehart or Heyer starting next year, but if we surround them with solid talent, then they may be able to perform.....

Ok, I completely like the idea. But if you're going to draft a guard, why not just draft a RG, and leave Dock where he is?

Personally, I think that they need to draft a RT. Because Heyer is not a starting quality Right Tackle. I think they need (and this is terrifying) a new LT, RG, RT, and C. I don't think they can do all of that in one year. But LT, RT are the most needy in the draft, and then find somebody in FA for RG. (I'm assuming the thought of Randy Thomas coming back is vetoed.)

Rabach probably gets one more year.

Oline is all about chemistry as well as talent. So I just figure that it would be nice to build a side of the line and have them develop the chemistry starting next year and keep it for a decade.

Since we will need to get the LT next year anyway because of Chris' retirement, why not get the LG too?

I believe Dockery will be 30 next year. He won't have too many productive seasons left. I think we can move him to the right and then draft for the right side in 2011. I agree that Heyer and company are weak but I think we've gone the "bookend" route before with Samuels and Jansen and I just feel that it's better to go ahead and draft a side of a line and develop that chemistry first. I think it will benefit us in the long run.

Like I always say...we just have to wait and see who is on the board when we pick. With Samuels most likely done the need for OL is even greater. But if there isnt one worthy of the spot that we pick then you pick the best player available. Eric Berry is a beast and he may be the pick, but if I were going to pick a safety it would be Taylor Mays. I like his size and speed. And he looked up to S.T. and wants to model his game after his. Then we could move Landry back in the box. Mays wont be as good as S.T. but he would make our D even more deadly than it is.

But if there is an elite OL available than thats the route we have to go. Im not sold on many of the qb's coming out. I think we could get Ponder from FSU in a later round.

Campbell is going to be an RFA next year, so we can keep him for 110% of his salary this year (= 3.15M) which qualifies him as a 1st / 3rd round tender. We wouldn't have the option of the lower tenders because they are less than his salary this year. We could do the same with Rogers, but the min we would pay him would be 1.55M (2nd round tender). I would go for it with Carlos, and hope that someone signs him....

Anyways, with Campbell available for another year on the cheap - use our top picks on Olinemen. As it stands, we are probably poised for a top five pick, which could probably net us one of the top 2 OT's and probably the top OG or OC in the 2nd round.

Line looks something like

OT: Pick

OG: Dockery

OC: Pick or Rabach

OG: Pick or Rinehart

OT: Heyer, Williams, or Jones

I don't want Rabach, Rinehart or Heyer starting next year, but if we surround them with solid talent, then they may be able to perform.....

Rabach already voided his contract next year due to playing time escalators.

We need 4 new, starting caliber OL's.

Everyone is missing the obvious.

Trade every veteran player for whatever you can get. Stockpile about 15 draft picks and literally try to draft a brand new OL (with maybe the exception of Dockery). If you look around the league, starting linemen come in all shapes and sizes (high-round picks, late-round picks, UFAs, etc.).

Let them come in, compete, and pick the best 5 to start and the next best 4 as depth and let them gel over the next 2-3 years while you fix the rest of the team.

OK, this was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I wouldn't hate this type of approach especially if we have a new GM.

Archived