Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

As a Skins fan, do you find yourself rooting against them?

jockey

Yes, continue to support your team blindly. No matter how much they take advantage of you, no matter how much they rip you off. No matter how much they put their ego over conventional wisdom. Don't question the team. Don't hope they could perhaps learn a real lesson and change the way they do things. Just support them blindly. That's a real fan.

So many fans here agree that the team needs to hit rock bottom to get better long term, yet in the meantime they want to see them win every Sunday.

It's no wonder this team will never go anywhere...even the fans are willing to accept the mediocrity this franchise has been dishing out for years.

Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm with the original poster...spare me from the false expectations, spare me from the offseason excitement. Just bottom out already as an organization and start the climb back up the mountain the proper way....hopefully.

Anyone who finds themselves rooting against the skins is not a fan. I have a brother that pulls that crap and I cannot even talk to him about football. To hear our team getting booed at our home stadium is shameful. What are we, eagles' fans? I think we need to atart acting like what we are, the greatest fans in all of sports.

I kind of see where the OP is coming from. It's not that I'm rooting against the Skins, I'm just getting sick of the mediocrity. It's like every year we are an 8-8 team, give or take a game or two. We end up out of range for drafting an elite QB. Sometimes in the back of my mind I think that the only way to break this cycle of mediocrity is to knock the house of cards down and rebuild. I don't mind ugly wins here and there, but when every win is ugly, I feel that fixing the problem just gets put on hold over and over.

During the Bucs game, I was so frustrated that Collins wasn't put in the game after halftime, that when Campbell threw that bomb for a TD, I wasn't that excited. The reason being was that it was most likely false hope and would just drag out the inevitable. However, I do hope that it wasn't a fluke and that there will be more consistency at QB and the team as a whole.

I don't root against them, but the passion and emotion is not there the way it was before. I was more psyched during our runs in 2005 and 2007, and even those years were way down from the glory years of the 1980's and early 90's. The Norv years took a lot out of me, and the current regime hasn't really done much to get it back. The Gibbs years brought it back some, but not all the way back.

I blame Norv for diminishing the passion for the Redskins I once had....and I blame Snyder for making promises to the fans he doesn't know how to keep. He may want to win "badly", but he doesn't know how.

I would never root against the team, having been a fan since 72, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly.I hope The Team can get it turned around and go on to have a great season. I also hope you younger fans will get to exp what it's like to capture lighting in a bottle, and live on the tip of the lighting bolt as it crashes through future seasons, and we are kicking other teams asses till our feet get sore. Sorry I'm rambling,but no I would never root against "The Team". HTTR-PERIOD

I understand what the OP is saying. When I was watching the Tampa game it was 10-0 when I turned it on and I just shook my head and started laughing. I think that was the point when I was thinking I don't care if we get blown out because that might lead to some good changes within the organization. Of course, I still wanted to win the game and be 2-2, right in the hunt still.

But, like others have said, I don't know if a win against a bad team is only delaying the inevitable.

I was glad we lost the San Francisco game last year. It was a little after the fact. It's hard to think about draft picks when you are caught up in the moment in a game. Whenever I know the playoffs are completely out of reach like in '06, I usually end up rooting for a draft pick. It's embarrassing to have the stain of a 5 win season but a meaningless win can drop you 6 or 7 draft picks and can be the difference between getting an elite talent like Brian Orakpo or Laron Landry or having to settle for someone like Jamal Anderson. Orakpo was a widely projected top 5 pick, it's ridiculous that he fell to 13. I doubt he'd have been there at 17 or 18 where we'd have picked if we won that San Francisco game.

The long term fortunes for a franchise can be made by nailing a high draft pick during an uncharacteristic down year. Look at the Ravens now. They have a bad '07 and end up able to turn their first round pick into Joe Flacco and Tarvares Gooden and some change. It also gave them the flexibility to draft Ray Rice and build a significant part of their offense.

So many fans here agree that the team needs to hit rock bottom to get better long term, yet in the meantime they want to see them win every Sunday.

It's no wonder this team will never go anywhere...even the fans are willing to accept the mediocrity this franchise has been dishing out for years.

QUOTE]

No, see, if they won "every Sunday", as you said, they would probably be in the Superbowl.

Wishing for your team to lose when they are sitting at .500 4 weeks into the season is stupid. If it's the last game of the year and we are completely out of the playoffs like last year, I wouldn't mind seeing us tank a game to get a better draft spot. But I'm not gonna sit there and cheer for the other team.

Archived