Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Isn't Jarmon Starting?

Hubbs

I'm actually asking that as a legitimate question - has anyone heard any of the coaches say anything about it? I know he was initially thought to be a "project," but it seems to me that he's not nearly as raw as expected. Watching Phillip Daniels attempt to contain is painful. He just can't anymore. He's too slow. Jarmon could do a better job while likely providing more of a pass rush at the same time. So what gives?

jarmon should be starting for daniels and Orpako should be starting at the other defensive end spot. Daniels and Carter or below average but this coaching staff refuses to bench the starters with the bigger contracts, that is why this team sucks

jarmon should be starting for daniels and Orpako should be starting at the other defensive end spot. Daniels and Carter or below average but this coaching staff refuses to bench the starters with the bigger contracts, that is why this team sucks

Couldn't have said it better.

I actually think Carter is doing okay, but the combination of Orakpo and Jarmon is pretty sweet imo.

I think Daniels should only be playing to give the other DEs a breather. I do see Jarmon/Orakpo and even Haynesworth being rotated in as a DE a lot though, so I'm curious as to how they're distributing the number of downs per player. With that said I agree, Jarmon needs to be on the field more instead of Daniels.

Orakpo should clearly be starting in place of Daniels' spot and Blache & Co. should explore putting Carter at Orakpo's spot as the SAM. Agreed about Jarmon as well.

Daniels is excellent at reading plays, but physically he's so slow he's basically only out there to occupy a blocker or two in the running game or to hold the gaps if we're blitzing around him.

He doesn't get any pressure on his own, and he looked pathetic on one play where Cadillac (I think it was Cadillac, or one of the other 2 backs Tampa was rotating in) caught a pass in the flats on a checkdown, and Daniels released from his blocker to make the play, but just got juked out of his shoes so badly he never had a chance.

He's just one dimensional at this point, and as smart as he is, we need a guy who can make plays in rushing the passer and tackling guys in the open field.

Jarmon definitely seems like a steal so far though.

Orakpo should clearly be starting in place of Daniels' spot and Blache & Co. should explore putting Carter at Orakpo's spot as the SAM. Agreed about Jarmon as well.
If anything, it would be Jarmon in Daniels' spot and Orakpo at Carter's spot. Better matchup size wise in that aspect (and it's what both guys were drafted for it would seem).

You would NOT want Carter at LB. He can't cover in space worth a crap and he wouldn't want to play that anyway. He came to Washington because he was tired of playing in San Fran's 3-4.

Orakpo can rush standing up too, but for whatever reason we choose to never blitz him from the SAM spot, even though that was the explanation for putting him there in the first place.

Daniels is still a good runstopper and good at eating up blockers to give our LBs a chance to make tackles. I think Jarmon is going to be a good player for us, but I haven't seen anything to show me he's ready to start just yet. Notice that he's mostly in on passing downs.

He's not a good runstopper on anything designed to go outside of him. He can't contain anymore.

Orakpo can rush standing up too, but for whatever reason we choose to never blitz him from the SAM spot, even though that was the explanation for putting him there in the first place.

i dont understand this part for the life of me

we dont blitz him much, he only gets on the dline during 3rd downs.

Orakpo's potential is being wasted at LB. he would be much more of a force as an every down DE. its not like Carter is doing anything special to hold on to the job

I don't get why we never seemed to even consider trying Andre Carter as OLB this offseason--he was an excellent 3-4 LB in San Fran. I know 3-4 LB is way different than 4-3 LB, but with how thin we are at the position, it seems like it'd be worth testing out. If it worked, we'd have the rotation of Orakpo, Daniels, and Jarmon at DE (Chris Wilson looked alright today as well).

Daniels is still a good runstopper and good at eating up blockers to give our LBs a chance to make tackles. I think Jarmon is going to be a good player for us, but I haven't seen anything to show me he's ready to start just yet. Notice that he's mostly in on passing downs.

While no one is saying that there is anything demonstrated by Jarmon to suggest that he start, but what have the starters done that is jaw dropping to say he shouldn't start? They haven't generated sacks like it was advertised and they haven't generated nearly the turnovers that were supposed to be a result of pressure, so I say put in Jarmon in and Orakpo. It couldn't hurt.

I don't get why we never seemed to even consider trying Andre Carter as OLB this offseason--he was an excellent 3-4 LB in San Fran. I know 3-4 LB is way different than 4-3 LB, but with how thin we are at the position, it seems like it'd be worth testing out. If it worked, we'd have the rotation of Orakpo, Daniels, and Jarmon at DE (Chris Wilson looked alright today as well).
He was terrible at LB in San Fran's 3-4. Just God awful. Which is why San Fran let him walk in the first place without any issue.

Couldn't cover worth anything and had a terrible time rushing the passer standing up.

He was terrible at LB in San Fran's 3-4. Just God awful. Which is why San Fran let him walk in the first place without any issue.

Couldn't cover worth anything and had a terrible time rushing the passer standing up.

Truth. Andre Carter was a terrible OLB in the 3-4, hence why he came to Washington to return to a 4-3.

I think part of the reason why Carter signed with us is because San Fran wanted him to become more of a traditional LB and he didn't want that.

Too bad this team doesn't realize that passing can be done on first and second down when Daniels is in the game and why wouldn't teams do that? No one on our front four besides Haynesworth commands double teams. Orakpo has the potential but he's too busy learning a different position :/

Archived