Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Isn't Jarmon Starting?

Hubbs

Daniels is still a good runstopper and good at eating up blockers to give our LBs a chance to make tackles. I think Jarmon is going to be a good player for us, but I haven't seen anything to show me he's ready to start just yet. Notice that he's mostly in on passing downs.

Then he should be playing DT not DE.

I like Daniels, but he just doesn't have the quicks to play on the edge anymore.

And while we are talking about line improvements. Can Big Mike step up and take over right tackles already OR can we sign Levi Jones or someone? Heyer getting blown off the ball is killing us.

"If" the FO were smart, they would let Daniels walk and cut Carter at season's end. Then they should start Jarmon and Orakpo at the book ends.
Well, if we get a new coaching staff and 2010 is uncapped like it's looking like, then don't be surprised if both of those things happen.

Daniels is good depth at DE, I think he could even move inside if needed. We have very good depth all across the DLine.

My issue with the Defense so far is the crazy scheme we play with the CB's in the next county when the play starts.

Tom

Daniels is good depth at DE, I think he could even move inside if needed. We have very good depth all across the DLine.

My issue with the Defense so far is the crazy scheme we play with the CB's in the next county when the play starts.

Tom

yes, Daniels can play DT, though according to the announcers that's actually where Jarmon was lined up when he got the strip.

Daniels is still a good runstopper and good at eating up blockers to give our LBs a chance to make tackles. I think Jarmon is going to be a good player for us, but I haven't seen anything to show me he's ready to start just yet. Notice that he's mostly in on passing downs.

Yeah, you haven't seen enough because our idiot coaching staff won't play him enough. He would be a major upgrade over daniels (who I thought sucked last year, but everybody blows smoke up his ***). We need to bench our sucky aging players and develop our younger players now and through the rest of the season, no matter how ugly it may get.

Too bad this team doesn't realize that passing can be done on first and second down when Daniels is in the game and why wouldn't teams do that? No one on our front four besides Haynesworth commands double teams. Orakpo has the potential but he's too busy learning a different position :/

Actually Carter gets double teamed a decent amount. The Lions had 2 guys on him almost every passing down, at the very least the TE or one of the backs chipped him before going out.

I agree with you about Orakpo, we finally use a first round pick on a lineman and then the first thing we do is move him to LB.

We don't seem to realize that we can pass on first down on offense either. Just saw a stat that said prior to the Moss TD, 16 of 22 Redskins 1st & 10s were runs (15 to Portis). It's crazy, especially considering we've been a better passing team than running team this year.

I don't want to get ahead of ourselves when it comes to depth players who come in and make a big play and then suddenly there is a demand that they start.

I am not saying Jarmon shouldn't be starting, I just haven't really seen a lot of him on the field.

I really trust the coaches more than the fans when it comes to who should be starting or not.

Plus "starting" is kind of overrated in this league anyway. If Jarmon comes in and makes a big difference, I am sure the coaches will find a way for him to be on the field more.

Guys. Jarmon has 3 tackles and 1 FF so far this season. Outside of the FF what was it that wowed you so much? Was it the two tackles he had today, the single tackle he had against the Lions, or the stat sheet shut out that he had in the first two weeks?

I'm not a fan of Blache's conservative nonsense but while Jarmon has looked good he hasn't exactly been dominating anything.

Guys. Jarmon has 3 tackles and 1 FF so far this season. Outside of the FF what was it that wowed you so much? Was it the two tackles he had today, the single tackle he had against the Lions, or the stat sheet shut out that he had in the first two weeks?

I'm not a fan of Blache's conservative nonsense but while Jarmon has looked good he hasn't exactly been dominating anything.

How exactly can he rack up stats from the bench?

You make a decent point, but it's not exactly like Daniels is contributing anything more.

He's got 11 total tackles (5 of which are assisted tackles) without a sack or FF, and he's actually starting. Jarmon doesn't play nearly as often and when he does he sees time at DT as well.

Daniels isn't even making our run defense any better (which was the whole point of bringing him back), as we're giving up 128 yards a game on the ground, good for 21st in the league in rushing defense.

So really, what are we gaining by keeping him as our starter, especially over a 3rd round prospect like Jarmon?

I think it is time to send Daniels and Carter to the bench, move Jarmon and Orakpo to the end positions, and promote Chris Wilson as the starter at SLB.

Wooooooo Slow down there chief...

Carter consistently gets pressure on QBs we just don't blitz to get sacks. If we blitzed more I believe Carter would have more sacks or would be responsibile for others to get sacks. Daniels is nothing more than a backup and we will be exposed all season on that left side if Blache doesn't start Jarmon and Orakpo in the D-End rotation.

When will Blache learn that 1st and 10 is not a run down anymore. Daniels should be out there in 3rd and 1. Sure its all part of the scheme, but I want a DE that can at least rush the passer a little bit.

How many percentage of the plays Daniels has been in on, were actually run plays? Best guess? I would say 50% if forced to guess.

Daniel's is a shell of his former self. Teams have been running at him. He is a big reason our run defense has been so shotty this season or atleast the first three games.

I don't get why we never seemed to even consider trying Andre Carter as OLB this offseason--he was an excellent 3-4 LB in San Fran. I know 3-4 LB is way different than 4-3 LB, but with how thin we are at the position, it seems like it'd be worth testing out. If it worked, we'd have the rotation of Orakpo, Daniels, and Jarmon at DE (Chris Wilson looked alright today as well).

No Carter was an excellent 3-4 DE at frisco its when he was switched to LB that his play making dropped off.

You youngins need patience and faith. Blache isn't going to expose either to smarter Offensive coordinators who will run at both and have similar results as we saw with Andre "highway 99" Carter and Jason Taylor last year until both have a season under their belt with full knowledge of the scheme and more strength and experience to hold their own against tackles.

Obvious passing situations I'd have both on the D line.

I haven't seen much of Jarmon at DE. It looks like he has mostly played on 3rd down as a DT.

I was upbeat about Daniels and our run defense prior to the season, but he has not looked that great. I doubt there could be very much fall off from Daniel's production to Jarmon's.

Carter has looked decent coming off the edge, but certainly not special. He had one really good play the other night, in which he almost got a sack, and forced an early throw. He certainly looks a lot better than Daniels or Wilson. Our best option might be to use our nickel D-line rotation every down, with Carter at LDE and Orakpo at RDE.

I'm gonna be incredibly optimistic (as I usually am after any win) and say that Jarmon and Orakpo will start at DE next season, with Haynesworth and Gholston at DT and say we'll have one of the best pass rushing DLs in the league next season. I don't expect us to be a Giants, but it should be far more fun to watch.

As for this season, look for Jarmon to continue to get more snaps and be starting after the Bye week. Remember our two old farts at DE are injury prone and could just get tired.

Archived