Extremeskins

What would Bruce Boudreau do?

TimmySmith

Ann Coulter...  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Ann Coulter...

• Yes, I would destroy it
    • No chance I'd tap that

The New York Rangers had just defeated the Washington Capitals in the first game of the first round of the playoffs. They had done so 4-3. Two of the Ranger goals came via the power play, the other 2 came as a result of defensive lapses. The Washington Capitals had just completed the greatest regular season in team history with 108 points. Losing at home in the first game of the first round of the playoffs by a single goal should not have caused any alarms to go off. It certainly was not the time for coach Bruce Boudreau to panic. It certainly would not be the time for any coach who wanted to keep his job to make personnel moves that could and would be second-guessed into eternity. Who on earth would even consider removing a starting goalie after a single game, and replace him with a child, a boy of 20 who could easily pass for 15, with 4 games of experience under his belt? Unknown, down to the pronunciation of his name. Such a decision, given the scope and scale of the situation, is pure fairy tale. Boudreau, however, had a feeling. A simple feeling. “I cannot win with Theodore.” Suddenly the workhorse of the regular season, the former Hart and Vezina winner, the guy with 32 wins, the guy who had been unquestionably let down by his defense in game 1, after 1 single game, took a seat.

The Washington Redskins are probably not headed for their greatest season ever. It is too early to rule the playoffs out, but as of this second the future is not bright. One loss. One nail-biting escape at home to a last place team. Another loss to a team that may not win another game all year. This follows the slow slide of 2-6 to end 2008. 3-8 in eleven games, while scoring less than 13 points a game. What’s broke? According to head coach Jim Zorn, nothing. Some say, including me, the Zorn is a victim of early success. He managed to win 6 coinflips in his first 8 games. He was charmed and charming. Then, everything worked. Now, nothing works. So what happened? The answer, nothing. Well I guess the real answer is luck ran out. The offense is averaging 70 fewer yards per game in the last 11. Rushing is down 50, passing is down 20. Somehow that translates to an 8 point drop. Essentially Zorn has not improved since week 1, 2008. Status quo.

What would a hockey coach, who must make fast and definitive decisions to maximize player output, do? Hockey is a game of player mix and match. Why not football? Is there harm in a foundering team giving a backup QB a few series a game? Is there harm in a team giving rookies the ball to see what happens? The answer to both of these questions is easy. No. Does the coach have the stomach to do it? This question is harder to answer.

So far, Zorn has made most if not all of his player decisions by the book. The starting QB takes all the snaps. Rookies do not see the field until they are 150% ready, and then only on full moons. Safety and security reign on special teams. Anyone, anywhere who may the opportunity to score a touchdown must have the Zorn seal of approval. It’s not given lightly. Touchdowns are rare. Perhaps it is time for Zorn to look in the mirror and ask the simple question, “What would Bruce Boudreau do?”.

He should have changed course. Assign Gordo to blanket Sidney. Sit at least one of his injured ineffective players with a healthy one. Guys not performing (Green) need to be sat for new blood. Thomas = Marko.

Dont sneeze at Caps talk. They are much closer to winning a cup then the skins a bowl. And in the process stealing the lost meandering homeless skins fans.

We need an offensive line, not a new QB. JC is top 10 in the league in almost every category right now. We are 24th in rushing...please...no more "play another QB" comments...

I defended JC for a long time and thought there were definitely some obstacles stacked against him but enough is enough all ****ing ready. It's his 5th year in the league. He stills constantly doesn't see open guys, throwing into coverage instead. He still couldn't put enough touch on the ball to throw a fade route if his whole family's lives depended on it. He still doesn't score touchdowns. He still has mediocre pocket presence. He still has been incapable, in many chances, to engineer a game winning drive. Blame everyone else you want, after awhile, if you know what you're talking about, you realize the patterns can't be ignored and the longer they go on, the less and less likely it is that they'll ever change and they're any kind of coincidence. Jason Campbell, I now know for sure, is nothing more than a backup quaterback at the NFL level.

Who cares what he would do? He's a hockey coach with the best player in the league...

Has the state of the Redskins really resorted to this type of comparison?

I agree. There's no way you can compare a first-rate organization like the Capitals to a constantly floundering debacle that is the current Redskins' organization.

And for those saying "he has the best player in the league"......Funny. The Caps stunk for 2 seasons, and end up with the best player in the league via a high draft pick. The skins have stunk on ice (pun intended) for how long now? Do we have the best player at any position even though we SHOULD have had high draft picks?

I'll say this, he wouldn't play music during practice and he wouldn't let the players go home every night during camp. He would tighten the screws right about now. If the Caps play poorly and don't show enough effort during a regular season game, BB often puts them through brutal practices that leaves half the team doubled over. And it usually works.

I'll say this, he wouldn't play music during practice and he wouldn't let the players go home every night during camp. He would tighten the screws right about now. If the Caps play poorly and don't show enough effort during a regular season game, BB often puts them through brutal practices that leaves half the team doubled over. And it usually works.

....and he would change the goalie

He's got a GM.

A GM/Owner that made a mistake with Jagr and learned from it....cleaned up their cap...and started building their own talent.

Helps when you draft the best player on the planet.

This. And not just Jagr, but blew it up and rebuilt the young team (hmm, building through the draft :idea: ).

EDIT: BYD, at least he'd MAKE the playoffs.

He would probably tank in the playoffs b/c he doesn't like playing defense.

At least he'd get there! And it's not his fault his players trip over themselves. But his system needs to be tweaked but the new guys like Alzner coming in this year etc. and Varlamov instead of ThreeorMore should be enough to get deep in the playoffs.

He's got a GM.

A GM/Owner that made a mistake with Jagr and learned from it....cleaned up their cap...and started building their own talent.

Helps when you draft the best player on the planet.

How come we didnt get anything for Bourque??? Him on armPitt, that can only bite us in the tail bone.

Archived