Extremeskins

What would Bruce Boudreau do?

TimmySmith

Ann Coulter...  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Ann Coulter...

• Yes, I would destroy it
    • No chance I'd tap that

Also as a side note, the Caps have been a good franchise for nearly 30 years. They made the playoffs 15 or 16 years in a row from 1983 through 1997. They then had their magic run in 1998. They were only truely bad for the first decade of their inception and then during the rebuild in the middle of this decade. The Caps can't match The Joe Gibbs era of excellence but take away the era from 1982 through 1991 and the Caps have been the better franchise and more successful franchise. Skins sucked in the fifties and sixties. They were Capslike in the seventies (make playoffs but lose). They gave sucked again from 1993 to present day. Only Gibbs 1 gives the Skins a shine these last 50 years.

The problem is you can't just discount eras. The Gibbs I era took place so it counts.

And, the franchises are basically on a par if you take that era away for whatever reason. Like you said, the Caps had a long run of making the playoffs and losing like the Skins did with George Allen.

The Skins also dominated for a while in the 1930s and 1940s before going into their first dark period with no playoff appearances. So, even if Gibbs I never took place you'd be comparing a 2-time championship team to a team without a Stanley Cup.

Anyway, be that as it may, it's a weird comparison. I agree with your main point that Leonsis learned from mistakes (in less time) and Snyder still hasn't. I believe Dan's owned the Skins for several years longer than Leonsis has owned the Caps too...so he's even further behind than it seems.

Actually Glen Hanlon was the coach going into 07. The Caps were in dead last and on Thanksgiving day George McPhee fired Hanlon and promoted Boudreau as the interim coach. Hanlon was a very conservative minded coach who's style didn't really mesh well with the talent. Then in comes Boudreau with his high flying, attack first, agressive forechecking system, which stresses pressure and turning the puck over, and that is perfect for the personnel we currently employ. We go on to make the playoffs and the rest is history I guess. Boudreau's system was better for the players we had, which I guess was lucky.

Where we should draw parallels when it comes to coach Zorn is, right now, Zorn's system, as is, is a bad fit for the current personnel we employ here. Good coaches are able to adapt and get the most out of their talent. The Boudreau situation was partly luck, but Zorn and Blache have got to adapt or they'll go the way of Hugs Hanlon.

Ahh thanks, I thought BB started that year.

That is why I always hate the term scheme "Its the scheme that matters". Unless you have built your team from the ground up for "The Scheme". Hard to do in football and it takes a lot of patience that our FO just doesn't have.

Im so excited its hockey season! There is finally a sports team in DC to be happy about! Ovechkin is a pure joy to watch, there is team chemistry, a good coach, and an even better owner. The Capitals are everything that the skins should strive to become. I for one am going to spend my fall and winter watching and cheering for a team and organization that deserves it. The Skins will lose whether I watch them or not.

caps as of now are miles and miles above redskins! who knows when will redskins have a star players like ovechkin and a fantastic group of guys with him. hes a awsome player, one in a million. he cares about his team, hes not just about him and him only....he celebrates when caps score weather its his hat trick or any other player....important thing is is they play as a team, they win as a team and they lose as a team!!! C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!!!

Archived