Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Keep Zorn. Bench Campbell.

FanSinceSonnyJ

Campbell didn't lose us the game.................

actually he had a very good game statistically baring the play calling. Can't expect the man to do much with those crappy plays Zorn was calling.

Who gives a flying **** about statistics. I care about the win. Campbell couldn't win under Joe Gibbs and now he can't win under Jim zorn. Anyway, he racked up almost 200 yards and a touchdown against the prevent defense.

why ask this question? to promote goodwill for the bum, campbell.

I dont need to promote goodwill for anybody, I am curious why so many people blame JC, when to me it seems like he is just a small portion of the problem. And the question wasn't even asked to you!!!!!!!!!!!

Campbell has not been our best offensive player and looks clueless out there. Throws into double coverage, fumbles the ball when untouched, throws dink passes for no gain with 50 seconds left and no timeouts, untimely interceptions (he could have had at least 2 addition throws picked off yesterday). You guys who lust for Campbell are unbelievable. Campbell is our "best" offensive player. What a heap of manure.

I'll be diplomatic and say it seems that we weren't watching the same game yesterday.

Or you have Madden based expectations for what a QB can do. Do you think any QB goes through a game without a few bad plays? What more does Campbell have to do to please you? 68% completions and 8.5 y/a? How about scrambling for clutch first downs on 3rd and long? Moving around to avoid the pressure to make clutch throws on the run. Standing tall pocket and making beautiful pass after pass despite intense pressure because our linemen were getting dominated at the LoS by the Lions. Spreading the ball around all over the field despite inconsistent play from his receivers. Oh wait he did all of that.

He is the one moving the chains despite constant ****ups by everyone around him. If you seriously think he is the problem then it's a waste of time arguing with you.

I should have posted my earlier message here -- so here's the reprint. (For those taking the time to read through it, thanks for your attention.)

Maybe it's too old-fashioned, but when a team was struggling, wasn't the first option considered --instead of automatically firing the coaching staff -- usually to change some the offensive personnel on the field?

Maybe what was called for was sitting a struggling RB or making him split duties. Maybe it was a WR who needed a game to re-focus? And then there were even times when a different QB was brought in, perhaps to rouse the team out of its doldrums.

For some reason, many Skins fans don't want to consider this natural progression of changes -- heck no, they want to fire all the coaching staff!! This is like suggesting brain surgery for eyestrain headaches brought on by poorly-precripted eyeglasses. Maybe we should simply check the prescription first.

We've got issues with our running game (the subject of another post), that now dictate greater reliance on our passing game. Since there are problems with the receiving corps, including TEs, RBs, and FBs maybe we need to first consider the one constant in the equation -- the QB. So why not "test the circuitry" of the offense with a different QB?

True, Collins may not be a long-term answer at QB, but he seems up to the task of stepping in when needed. and maybe it's needed now -- the offense's morale seems to be in freefall plunge and reminds me of the weeks leading up to the 2007 Bears game.

Granted, our last results from Collins are almost 1.5 years old, but some things did stand out. Collins is a smart QB with good field vision, who makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quickly. He throws a catchable ball with touch. His arm strength is an issue, but he does possess a catchable, and fairly accurate medium-long pass. Notably, he's got that high-arc touch pass, perfectly suited for redzone fade passes.

Most importantly, most of Collins completions get to the receiver with enough time for them to make a move on their defenders. Collins doesn't telegraph his intentions, and can accurately hit his receiver in stride. (His passing rarely forces the receiver to stop or slow down in order to adjust to the "vicinity pass.")

While we don't know for certain, it's likely Collins has had sufficient time to really learn Zorns WCO playbook well, and run it. I suspect Todd would easily handle the play-calling adjustments. Importantly, Zorn has shown how he can customize his playbook to what his QB does best -- and under Collins we might see more of a consistently reliable WCO. (And considering how Campbell's long passes haven't yet blossomed into consistent completions, perhaps Collins' medium passes can approximate that threat?)

Don't get me wrong, this won't fix all the team's woes. I don't think it's even a season-long fix, because Collins will wear down quickly behind our porous O-line. But some changes are needed to shake things up for a while and restore our balance.

Currently, our playcalling issues stem the fact that our running game cannot dominate as it once did. Portis is starting to wear down, and we've become a one-sided running team because our RT is more of a pass-blocker than run blocker. There are issues arising from having to rely more on our passing game; while "340 passing yards" looks good in print, the game context paints a different picture. (Context considerations such as: a) this was Detroit's defense, or B) how often during the first three quarters, did Campbell successfully convert third downs?)

Maybe bringing in Collins won't help, but let's at least see if we can re-kindle some kind of spark amongst this talented group. Cooley, Moss, ARE, Kelly, Portis, Betts, Davis, and even Thomas are all capable of being decent receivers. But week in and week out, I hear how one or more of them aren't getting the job done for Campbell. Maybe it's time we look at the constant factor here? Not permanently, but at least long enough to regroup and regain confidence in the plays.

I don't want to see Zorn be made the sacrificial lamb for what might be deficiencies at some of the skilled positions. So, instead let's make small incremental changes first, and see how we can make opponents start respecting our passing game. Maybe that will help our running game get on track again too.

You write these post about Campbell being the problem, but what about Portis, the run game, the defense, will bringing in Collins have made the line block better on 4th and 1. You say take the blinders off, I think you have them on if you think that the only problem is Campbell. We have been a terrible organization since 1999. What was the problem then, how is it we brought a college coach (Spurrier) over and couldn't score (same problems). Now we brought in a qb coach and can't score. The only time we had a good offense was 1 year with Gibbs and Brunnell. IMO JC is not the problem, but I do want a change at QB, not because I think he is the problem but just to prove a point to our organization and fans. I really believe that Collins would come in and we would be no better. Until we change the mentality in our organization, I bet if we had Rex Ryan as our coach we would be 3-0.

you do realize that portis has been productive the last 2 years that campbell has been the starter and campbell has still failed to produce points at an average NFL level? its not like our running game went away and campbells point production went down. its been like this for his career.

I think Campbell is the least of our worries right now. He's the only one on offense doing anything. Where was Cooley yesterday? Randle El? CP still hasn't had a 100yd game. Thom and Kelly haven't really done anything special. The OL doesn't seem to remember how to run block. I think JC is doing pretty well and I'm not even a big JC supporter. Right now our problem is that our defense can't get off the field on 3rd down and no one on the offense is stepping up. Campbell doesn't play defense and he can't throw the ball to himself.

you do realize that portis has been productive the last 2 years that campbell has been the starter and campbell has still failed to produce points at an average NFL level? its not like our running game went away and campbells point production went down. its been like this for his career.

Ok we're not talking about the last 2 years, what about this year. The redskins were good with Collins under Al Saunders scheme and we let both of them go at the same time. Like I said there are countless threads about JC, but we have been having this problem for years. Maybe if the fans wrote more about the organization and its failures they will listen, but if we keep on blaming 1 or 2 players then they will just throw in a new player at that position and things will never get fixed.

Ok we're not talking about the last 2 years, what about this year. The redskins were good with Collins under Al Saunders scheme and we let both of them go at the same time. Like I said there are countless threads about JC, but we have been having this problem for years. Maybe if the fans wrote more about the organization and its failures they will listen, but if we keep on blaming 1 or 2 players then they will just throw in a new player at that position and things will never get fixed.

this team hasnt had a legit stud QB in awhile. and i dont mean we need peyton manning. an aaron rodgers will do just fine.

our guy is out there and we need to go find him. hopefully its sooner than later.

and this year weve had 3 games, barely any running game, tons of passing yards. points look exactly the same as they always do. you remember the browns game last year? 175 yards from portis and we scored 14 points.

when campbell starts, the team doesnt score points at an average NFL level. thats a fact. throw the blame around to everyone and anything, but at the end of the day, when campbell is behind center, this team fails on offense.

That's what I mean when I say they live as if the past did not exist----seriously, it's the same excuses but the specific one used at any moment depends on what presents itself based on the last game. Clinton Portis was a HORSE last year in the first half of the season and we couldn't score.

Zorn is in Campbell's ear telling him to loosen up, he's yelling on the sidelines that he's missing guys---Zorn is taking the heat for Campbell's poor decisions (though Zorn deserves a lot for his own mistakes.) Then we have people telling us Campbell has been coached to be conservative. What in his entire career--including Auburn--indicates that he was some gunslinger at ANY POINT IN HIS LIFE?!! He isn't. maybe in an alternate future, he could have been but this is who he is. It's not that he can't sling it around but he can't make the throws the good QBs make---his anticipation is sorely lacking and he throws to open guys (late and not on their break.) maybe he has started to hit the slants better. But these minute improvements to his game still don't result in points.

Plenty of time we hear about the offensive line---but Jason doesn't score points with this talent when the line BLOCKS and gets outperformed by the likes of Matt Stafford and Ryan Fitzpatrick in games where he gets protection! So the running game doesn't always work--so what? ALmost every good QB I've seen, including Brady on a regular basis, can put up some points with a struggling/subpar running game.

this team hasnt had a legit stud QB in awhile. and i dont mean we need peyton manning. an aaron rodgers will do just fine.

our guy is out there and we need to go find him. hopefully its sooner than later.

and this year weve had 3 games, barely any running game, tons of passing yards. points look exactly the same as they always do. you remember the browns game last year? 175 yards from portis and we scored 14 points.

when campbell starts, the team doesnt score points at an average NFL level. thats a fact. throw the blame around to everyone and anything, but at the end of the day, when campbell is behind center, this team fails on offense.

You say when Campbell is behind center this team fails, this team has failed with any QB behind center. If everyone wants to hold onto winning 4 games by Collins as being dominant, we had a 4 game stretch where JC was dominant last year. I think it is more to it than just JC. We have been a constant failure as an organization for more than a decade. I am not happy with being in the playoffs for 2 years by having to win every game in the end of the season. That is what happened with Gibbs. We have not won ten games in this century. THE PROBLEM IS MORE THAN QB

I think Campbell is the least of our worries right now. He's the only one on offense doing anything. Where was Cooley yesterday? Randle El? CP still hasn't had a 100yd game. Thom and Kelly haven't really done anything special. The OL doesn't seem to remember how to run block. I think JC is doing pretty well and I'm not even a big JC supporter. Right now our problem is that our defense can't get off the field on 3rd down and no one on the offense is stepping up. Campbell doesn't play defense and he can't throw the ball to himself.
There were problems in many areas, but most of solutions relied on Campbell. He didn't come up with many answers, and seemed less-than-effective until the last 5 minutes, when the Lions went into prevent mode.

In the second half of the Lions game, the Skins defense was able to stop the Lions offense quite a few times. But the Skins offense wasn't able to convert many third downs and gave the ball back. Those were the 'step up' opportunities for Campbell and he didn't get things moving until the last 5 minutes of the game.

I'd note that in the second half we were running to keep defenders from pinning back their ears and going after Campbell. We were relying on Campbell to effectively pass against what was essentially their standard defense, and oftentimes when they were still stacking against Portis. Campbell had his opportunities.

So, it was a real eye opener for me; with all those chances Campbell couldn't get it done against the standard Lions pass defense, minus their best pass covering LB. I felt it was a moment when a true franchise QB would have stepped it up. Instead we got safe passes for 9 yards when we needed 11.

This was a disappointing loss on many levels. I'm very worried about our O-line and TE being able to support a reliable running game. It's hard for Zorn to call plays when his options are getting so limited; both in running, and passing. The defense needs to carry us, until our offense can figure out a way to click. And under Campbell, the offense has not clicked on reliably.

That's what I mean when I say they live as if the past did not exist----seriously, it's the same excuses but the specific one used at any moment depends on what presents itself based on the last game. Clinton Portis was a HORSE last year in the first half of the season and we couldn't score.

Zorn is in Campbell's ear telling him to loosen up, he's yelling on the sidelines that he's missing guys---Zorn is taking the heat for Campbell's poor decisions (though Zorn deserves a lot for his own mistakes.) Then we have people telling us Campbell has been coached to be conservative. What in his entire career--including Auburn--indicates that he was some gunslinger at ANY POINT IN HIS LIFE?!! He isn't. maybe in an alternate future, he could have been but this is who he is. It's not that he can't sling it around but he can't make the throws the good QBs make---his anticipation is sorely lacking and he throws to open guys and maybe has started to hit the slants better. But these minute improvements to his game still don't result in points.

Plenty of time we hear about the offensive line---but Jason doesn't score points with this talent when the line BLOCKS and gets outperformed by the likes of Matt Stafford and Ryan Fitzpatrick in games where he gets protection! So the running game doesn't always work--so what? ALmost every good QB I've seen, including Brady on a regular basis, can put up some points with a struggling/subpar running game.

Here you go Portis was a Horse last year and we didnt score!!!!! We scored the most points last year when Portis didn't rush for 100 yards in week 2 and 3. When JC was throwing more. Get your facts straight. Portis turned it on in week 4 and rushed for 100+ yards every game until the bye. Last year we where not 1 dimensional as you make it seem. We threw and ran well. It was not Portis, JC, DEF. It was the team as a whole.

actually he had a very good game statistically baring the play calling. Can't expect the man to do much with those crappy plays Zorn was calling.

I couldn't AGREE with You more! Let's use The Philadelphia Eagles as an unequivocal example:

1. The Eagles' Offensive Line is in relatively the same 'shape/situation' as The Redskins' Offensive Line;
  2. The Eagles have absolutely NO Running Game - to speak of (ergo: Andy Reid doesn't particularly care for The Run, anyhoo);
  3. The Redskins have BETTER Wide Receivers (overall), Tight Ends, Fullbacks, and Running Backs;
  4. The Eagles do, however, have better Quarter Backs (McNabb, Vick, Garcia, & Kolb vs. Campbell, Collins, & Brennan);
  5. Yet, WHY does The Eagles' 2nd/3rd-String QB fare better than The Redskins' 1st-String QB?!? The GLARINGLY OBVIOUS Answer is: Andy Reid is "Light-Years Exponentially Superior" (and, EONS More AGGRESSIVE) than "Corny Zorny" in his PLAY-CALLING!!!
  6. Zorn's Play-Calling is "Amateurish', at-best. If Zorn would simply be MORE AGGRESSIVE in his Play-Calling, between the 20's, The Redskins would be "Lighting-It-Up"!!! But, Zorn is so concerned with his 'System' (ostensibly: the vaunted 'Balance' of Passes vs. Runs) that he REFUSES to SEE the proverbial 'Forest' (i.e.: SCORING MORE POINTS than one's Opponent) for the 'Trees' (placing Campbell in situations where he has SHOWN/PROVEN to be SUCCESSFUL: in 'Shotgun', and in the 'Hurry-Up')!?!
  7. Zorn has PROVEN (since Game 8 of 2008) to be just as 'Bull-Headed' & 'Power-Monging' as his 'Predecessor'!?! When he (Zorn) certainly HAS NOT 'EARNED' that 'Privilege' (as Gibbs had)!?!
  8. Zorn NEEDS to get his 'head' out of his '@$$' - and "Unleash the Offense"!!! This isn't a "Gentleman's Game of Croquet", DAMNIT! This is The National Football League: where one must 'Put Up' or 'S.T.F.U.'! Period.
  9. Also: Blatche NEEDS to place our CB's in 'Man/Press' Coverage. Thos 10-yard 'cushions' are 'SICKENING'!?! Plus, Blatch should be WAY MORE AGGRESSIVE with his 'Blitz Packages' (if he, in fact, HAS any)!!!:helmet: :logo: :doh:

I am not going to argue about Campbell just a question

Who do you think has been the best offensive player besides JC and Cooley?

Silly question. It certainly is not JC, he's a big part of the problem.

Sure we need help throughout the roster, one of the biggest weaknesses we have is at the QB position. Take the blinders off.

You say when Campbell is behind center this team fails, this team has failed with any QB behind center. If everyone wants to hold onto winning 4 games by Collins as being dominant, we had a 4 game stretch where JC was dominant last year. I think it is more to it than just JC. We have been a constant failure as an organization for more than a decade. I am not happy with being in the playoffs for 2 years by having to win every game in the end of the season. That is what happened with Gibbs. We have not won ten games in this century. THE PROBLEM IS MORE THAN QB

since campbell has been on the redskins NFL roster, the redskins have been to the playoffs twice.

both times were without campbell, and almost the same group of guys he has now, minus a few small changes at WR/OL.

did you just say we have not won 10 games this century?

2005: 10-6

are you ok?

Zorn SO needs help. He needs a proven playcaller. A guy that selects plays to attack a teams weaknesses. I believe we do not game plan at all on offense. We just blindly call plays from our playbook, head down. Look! The Giant's DB's are injured? Ok lets go 1 wide and then run portis left over and over.

Jason is fine, Zorn is way over his head. Does our offensive coordinator do anything meaningful? Our coaching staff is way over the heads from our Dline coach Blache and QB coach Zorn running stuff they are obviously struggling at.

Yep, we constantly hear "Where was Moss in that game?" "Portis didn't do anything!" etc. Because apparently these PROVEN players are supposed to each have 100+ yard games each and every weekend in order to make up for our QB's mediocre play.

Adrian Peterson was held to under 100 yards for the second week in a row, so the Vikings put the ball in Favre's hands, and we all know what happened. Good QBs do not need every player on their offense to have a huge game every week in order to succeed. When somebody else falters, they step up. When the run game isn't going strong, that's exactly when a QB NEEDS to step up for his team.

Our run game was stuffed, and our QB was given a chance to lead a game winning drive against the worst pass D in the NFL, and we saw what he did with it. Dump off in the middle of the field. Brilliant.

Here you go Portis was a Horse last year and we didnt score!!!!! We scored the most points last year when Portis didn't rush for 100 yards in week 2 and 3. When JC was throwing more. Get your facts straight. Portis turned it on in week 4 and rushed for 100+ yards every game until the bye. Last year we where not 1 dimensional as you make it seem. We threw and ran well. It was not Portis, JC, DEF. It was the team as a whole.

this team scored a lot in 2005 when portis was a horse.

brunell was able to muster 30 points a few times with portis in 06.

the team scored 30 points with todd collins when portis was a horse in 07.

the only time we dont score points is when campbell is on the field. thats a blatant fact.

since campbell has been on the redskins NFL roster, the redskins have been to the playoffs twice.

both times were without campbell, and almost the same group of guys he has now, minus a few small changes at WR/OL.

did you just say we have not won 10 games this century?

2005: 10-6

are you ok?

Wow. Sounds like you put Dcky in his place with facts. The JC lovers could care less if we win or lose, they just like seeing their guy under center and will excuse away his week end and week out mediocre play.

Campbell doesn't lose us games.

The problem is that he doesn't win us games either.

He's the perfect nutshell for this team. He's just good enough to keep us in games but not quite good enough to get us a win.

He should not be benched however because he's the only QB on our team with any shot at being the starter next season which is what we have to be thinking about. Might as well give him 13 more games to prove himself.

I disagree with the person who said firing Zorn wouldn't do anything.

If we bring in a good coach now (Shanahan) he can review the team from the inside instead of the outside and see what really needs to be done for next season.

Portis had 96 yards and 2TDs in the Saints game. 68 yards and 1TD in the AZ game. He was a significant part of the scoring.

Archived