Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fanhouse: Which Quarterbacks Hold the Ball Too Long?

mdboost

The sample sizes for this assessment are tiny. We'll have to wait for the rest of the season to get good data. This doesn't really tell us anything yet.
It might be an interesting stat to look at further in the season but even the author himself admits the stats are very much affected by the small sample size. I would go further and say that the sample sizes currently make the stats meaningless.

Well, this just compounds from previous seasons where the knock on Jason is that he has held onto the ball too long. In fact, him holding it too long almost cost us a Safety this past weekend.

I think these stats are pretty useless. All it says is that Campbell has more time before he has gotten sacked. Says nothing about anyone being open for him to throw to. I mean this was 3 plays they are averaging. If you wanted to get a good comparison, lets look at how long it takes him to throw a pass and how long it takes him to throw the ball away on average. Compare those three numbers together and you have something. Any QB that is good at buying time (or has an offensive line that buys time) will have a higher number here. That doesnt mean they hold the ball too long just that they can buy themselves time to try to make a play. Low sack numbers also indicate they are actually making the plays after buying time.

Ok, first of all I point out this:

"For now, the numbers are very much affected by small sample size--Brady Quinn's decision to hold the ball for an amazing 8.28 seconds before being sacked against the Vikings skewed his stats, although he also has three other sacks where he held the ball for more than three seconds."

For example, Jason has been sacked a whopping three times.

Also, I guess that means Tom Brady holds the ball too long.... as do Culter, Sanchez (the two "huge upgrades" we went after) and Chad Pennington and Kurt Warner.

This article is useless.

And you have evidence to disprove what he typed or said? If so, post it. If not, shut up and have a seat please.

Shutup? Ok tough guy:cool2:. LOL You're a joke.

This "article" might as well been posted on the bleacher report. Meaning it has no merit. That sample size is WAY too small to be effective.

What he said is irrelevant. I guess I can say that JC is a passerin the mold of Brady, Culter and Sanchez too... by reading the report.

That's pretty interesting, and it supports what most of us realize while watching the games. That being said, a sample size of 3 means it's not even close to statistically significant and it's hard to take this seriously until much later in the season, but I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

I'm not sure this is the right measure though. The population appears to be plays on which there were sacks. I think a more accurate measure of how quickly a QB releases the ball would include all passing plays since it is likely that a QB has a longer hold time on sacks.

I don't know if I can agree with the premise

I think it's interesting but I'd also like to see:

A) The number of seconds the ball is held on to during completions and the average yardage gained

B) The number of seconds for incompletions

And there is probably much more that doesn't make sense... I mean Sometimes Tom Brady sits back in the pocket holding the ball for what seems like forever. If you can wait for that long for someone to get open I think it's usually a good thing.

I think a better measure would be wind-up/release of a pass which JC may not stack up well against but even with that Romo sits to pee has one of the Faster releases in the league but seems inconsistent in his decision making.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/

You may be able to guess where Jason lands on this list. He needs to react faster. Taking way too much time. The article says: Jason needs to work on this. You'd think he would have learned by now to be faster. All this talk about the second year in the offense, but same result on the scoreboard, same result with the receivers, and same result with holding onto the ball too long. :chair:

Yeah, you'd think Tom Brady and Jay Cutler, who are right there on that list with Campbell, would have learned it by now also.

Or you'd think most ESers are smart enough to realize stats like this, based just on 2 games, can't be used to reach conclusions yet because the sample size is too small. As another poster already said in here, these numbers have to be revisited later in the season.

I'd also like to see how long the QB holds on to the ball on average, not just on sacks. Honestly though, I haven't noticed that be a consistent problem for Campbell so far. In the past 2 games for the most part (not all the time tho) Campbell has gotten the ball out quickly.

I found this article ( http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/ )to be very interesting, showing Campbell to be the NFL QB who holds onto the ball the longest. And while I have felt good about Campbell's play this season, this statistic shows where he needs improvement. Or does it?

It does shows how well our line is pass blocking, though, which is a major upgrade from last year. But what is causing this statistic? Are receivers just not getting open? Or is he just not finding them? The recent talk around ES of Moss and ARE's "lazy" routes makes me think its a combination of both, but either way, it is discouraging to see. I have liked his faster release and decision making when he does throw, between the 20's, but this type of hesitation could be part of Zorn's unwillingness to put the ball in Campbell's hands in the Red Zone.

It is worth noting, however, that this is an admittedly small sample size, and cannot be taken without a grain of salt and a mountain of common sense. This is not necessarily an indication of poor play on Campbell's part, but it is a red flag as to what we can keep an eye on this coming week against the Lions. For example, it shows Brady as being the second QB holding the ball the most, so I would be inclined to see it as an example of poor route running and separation by the WR's, as evidenced in the latest Pats-Jets game: Moss was shut down, and Welker was out, so he had to hold the ball. Is this the case with Campbell? Or is he making poor decisions, or at the very least slow ones?

Anyways, discuss. And lets not turn this into another bashing/supporting thread, lets talk rational reasons here, gentlemen. Let's use our heads, not our biases and prior feelings about Campbell:point2sky

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/

I watched the Jets game, and once when Brady was sacked they replayed, with a clock. It took the rusher 1.84 seconds to get to Brady-hardly anyone can get the ball out in less than 2 seconds from the snap.

I watched the Colts/Dolphins game and saw several times where Peyton had to get rid of the ball very quickly. His TE Clark was very open on most of those plays.

interseting to say the least.

Archived