Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fanhouse: Which Quarterbacks Hold the Ball Too Long?

mdboost

Sorry but the sample size and sample selection makes this unreliable to say the least. All it takes is one prolonged scramble that ends up in a sack to totally skew the numbers. And you can't just measure the sacks. You have to measure all passes. A QB could averaged 2.1 seconds on all passes thrown but have one 4 or 5 second scramble rollout and all of a sudden he is averaging 3.5 seconds a sack.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/

You may be able to guess where Jason lands on this list. He needs to react faster. Taking way too much time. The article says: Jason needs to work on this. You'd think he would have learned by now to be faster. All this talk about the second year in the offense, but same result on the scoreboard, same result with the receivers, and same result with holding onto the ball too long. :chair:

This is one of the most worthless psuedo stats i've ever seen.

What is he using?

Does he have coaches film?

When is he starting the stopwatch watch? on the centers movement? on the QBs?

To what accuracy does his watch go?

What type scheme and what type of drop was the QB taking? 3 step, 5 step, 7 step?

The author himself even admits that the sample size is small.

And even using this decidedly inexact form of recording sack times

If you were to do this last year JC would have been near the shortest time before he got hit, because he was getting hit on 3 and 5 step drops

Zorn even complained about how the pass-pro prevented him from calling certain plays.

Look, you guys already don't like Campbell.

Don't pull up some psuedo-facts to support your weak assumptions.

Jason Campbell did a better job with this against the Rams. Campbell looked sharp and got rid of the ball when he needed to the majority of the time. They only time he should have gotten the ball out quicker was when he was almost sacked for a safety.

HTTR

Now that's some good stats right there, it will be interesting to read what the campbell supporters will write to try and defend him on this one

Thread has already been made for this, but I'm so very glad you are so quick to jump on anyone who might not have a completely negative opinion of Campbell, and before any of them even replied. Wow. Awesome.

I wonder if the article was in favor of Campbell, if you would have been so quick to take it at its word, or if you would have questioned it outright, since it didn;t agree with your opinion?

The sample size is just 2 games, and in JC's case, only 3 sacks. You think that is a large enough sample size to reach a valid conclusion? Apparently, given your response in this thread. But all that really shows is you are so quick to get behind a stat that is a negative for Campbell, you'll back something even with the most rudimentary mistakes, such as the most obvious in this case, which is the sample size is too small.

You have anything to say about Cutler, Brady, and Sanchez being right there with Campbell?

Or maybe do we want to examine all evidence prior to accepting it, instead of just the stuff that disagrees with us?

Sorry but the sample size and sample selection makes this unreliable to say the least. All it takes is one prolonged scramble that ends up in a sack to totally skew the numbers. And you can't just measure the sacks. You have to measure all passes. A QB could averaged 2.1 seconds on all passes thrown but have one 4 or 5 second scramble rollout and all of a sudden he is averaging 3.5 seconds a sack.

My software will measure 1/30 seconds on every frame.

In the Giants game on the first sack the ball was snapped at 47:35.11 and the sack occured at 47:39.07. Almost 4 seconds.

Second sack in the Giants game, the ball was snapped at 1:24.09.09 and the sack occured at 1:24.11.27. Just over 2 seconds.

In the Rams game the ball was snapped at 1:30.43.23 and the sack occured at 1:30.49.11. Almost 6 seconds. Until I started researching this, I didn't realize that Samuels was pushed into JC knocking him backwards and in to the endzone. Also, JC tripped over the Samuel's foot or maybe Samuels stepped on JC's foot.

But you are right. It's the 6 seconds on the last sack brings the 2 seconds on the 2nd sack up to a higher average.

Been saying this for a while now! Our line isn't as bad as everyone says it is. I lost my faith in Campbell against the Eagles last year at home. He took FOREVER holding onto the ball and I've paid extra close attention to it ever since. He takes his sweet time. The Rams game is the first game I've seen since then where he actually did an adequate job of getting rid of the ball.

These are cool stats. I'd love to see the same done on Defensive sacks. See the total team sacks and the average time the QB held the ball. It would tell you wether the secondary was causing the sacks or the D-Line. Or if the lack of sacks was due to the ball being unloaded in 2 seconds because the secondary plays with to big a cushion.

"It does shows how well our line is pass blocking, though, which is a major upgrade from last year. But what is causing this statistic? Are receivers just not getting open? Or is he just not finding them? The recent talk around ES of Moss and ARE's "lazy" routes makes me think its a combination of both, but either way, it is discouraging to see. I have liked his faster release and decision making when he does throw, between the 20's, but this type of hesitation could be part of Zorn's unwillingness to put the ball in Campbell's hands in the Red Zone."

I have to say it's a combination of alot of things but as I have said many times before Campbell just doesnt read the field well. He doesn't see guys who have "just a step" on their guy. Anytime he goes down field its because the guy is usually wide open. Other qbs in the league make tight throws all the time. Again this plays right into the taking chances part. He won't throw to guys even semicovered unless he decided he was going their through presnap reads and he's locked onto them. Doesn't help his passes don't have much touch either so he could drop the ball in between the defenders.

The sample sizes for this assessment are tiny. We'll have to wait for the rest of the season to get good data. This doesn't really tell us anything yet.

Yeah, I thought the article would detail last year's numbers or include this season with them.

I also am not sure I agree with the methodology here of only counting sacks/hits time held. An all-out blitz or bad line play may land a VERY GOOD QB with hits or sacks that lower the number. It's almost self-selecting when you try to go by hits/sacks.

A better metric would be literally tracking each pass play (or even the pass plays this season) and timing it. When you do that, you get something of a better idea of how long the QB holds the ball. Otherwise you penalize a guy for either making plays more frequently (and occasionally getting sacked while doing so) or for bad line play or great defensive play.

Archived