Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fanhouse: Which Quarterbacks Hold the Ball Too Long?

mdboost

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/

You may be able to guess where Jason lands on this list. He needs to react faster. Taking way too much time. The article says:

in general if a quarterback holds the ball for more than three seconds, he's in trouble
Jason needs to work on this. You'd think he would have learned by now to be faster. All this talk about the second year in the offense, but same result on the scoreboard, same result with the receivers, and same result with holding onto the ball too long. :chair:

This is VERY interesting especially with how people call Leftwich slow.

HOLDING ON

The 10 quarterbacks who have held the ball the longest on their sacks

Quarterback Average

Time Of Sack No. of

Sacks

Jason Campbell 3.66 3

Tom Brady 3.6 1

Jay Cutler 3.51 3

Mark Sanchez 3.51 2

Brady Quinn 3.29 9

Kyle Orton 3.27 3

Trent Edwards 3.26 6

JaMarcus Russell 3.22 3

Chad Pennington 3.2 6

Kurt Warner 3.07 3

GETTING RID OF IT

The 10 quarterbacks who have held the ball the shortest on their sacks

Quarterback Average

Time Of Sack No. of

Sacks

Byron Leftwich 2.09 2

Tony Romo sits to pee 2.1 1

Peyton Manning 2.29 2

Marc Bulger 2.46 4

Carson Palmer 2.47 5

Joe Flacco 2.52 2

Matt Stafford 2.53 3

Matt Schaub 2.6 2

Matt Ryan 2.62 2

Brodie Croyle 2.62 3

Jason has a much quicker release this year. Just watch his highlights from the Rams game http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=300074

The ball is almost always out in 3 seconds. On a couple plays, he even throws the ball after 1 second of the snap, like on the slant to Cooley for a first down. The plays where he holds the ball 4-5 seconds(which isn't even that long considering Eli gets 7 seconds sometimes from his beast line), Campbell scrambles for a long run.

Yes, early in his career he held the ball a little long. Could that be because he's in a different offense every year? I'd say so. When you have to know where every player is on a given play, and if your still learning the plays, you might be hesitant on a guys position before you throw it.

If you also have 2 rookie WR's out there, and no true #1, that may cause you to hold the ball longer.

It's interesting that people are harping on Campbell for being number one on that list, when guess who's at number two?

Now that being said, it is true that most of the time when Campbell gets sacked it's because he held on too long.

It does help the oline's case though don't you think?

so you are saying we have a steller o-line and there is absolutely no possiblity that campbell buys himself more time with his feet?
Perhaps my memory fails, but I cannot remember a sack where Campbell was buying time with his feet. In fact, I cannot remember a play where Campbell has bought time with his feet. I remember runs, yes, but not a scramble that has resulted in a sack or a pass, completed or not.

Yes, early in his career he held the ball a little long. Could that be because he's in a different offense every year? I'd say so. When you have to know where every player is on a given play, and if your still learning the plays, you might be hesitant on a guys position before you throw it.

Dude, those stats are from THIS year, and you are sitting here trying to debunk the actual stats saying "early on in his career"? He's still holding onto the ball too long as noted by that article and stats. It's funny that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have no problems in their systems (or learning it), but JC does in any system he's been in. Amazing.

It does help the oline's case though don't you think?

It does that, definitely. I really hope whoever we plug in for Thomas can hold up in pass protection. Run blocking doesn't really matter, since we never run it right anyway.

Really, all this says is that when he gets sacked, it is because he held onto the ball too long. It doesn't say anything about his general tendencies, especially with only 3 sacks to draw upon.

This I also agree with. Which is why it's interesting that Brady, Cutler, and Sanchez are the next three in on that list. It shows that any quarterback can try to extend a play and get sacked for it. The question is whether or not you're good at deciding when it's worth it to try to do that.

It's interesting that people are harping on Campbell for being number one on that list, when guess who's at number two?

Now that being said, it is true that most of the time when Campbell gets sacked it's because he held on too long.

The Bears WRs are so ****ty, he has to hold onto the ball. :hysterical:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/23/which-quarterbacks-hold-the-ball-too-long/

You may be able to guess where Jason lands on this list. He needs to react faster. Taking way too much time. The article says: Jason needs to work on this. You'd think he would have learned by now to be faster. All this talk about the second year in the offense, but same result on the scoreboard, same result with the receivers, and same result with holding onto the ball too long. :chair:

Wait a second. We are using stats posted by a blogger to account for this trivial nonsense? Whodathunkit?

Archived