Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rams Receivers open on last play

darrelgreenie

If they were truly running a cover 2 zone then I would say yes that's a bad play call. Typically one of the only weak spots on a cover 2 is the area between the corner and the deep safety which also happens to be the sideline which is exactly where you'd want to go. Realistically a 15-20 yard out or post toward the sideline should be open with an accurate pass for a clock stopping first down. Now, that doesn't bring into consideration the Ram's pathetic offensive line not really giving Bulger a great chance imo.

Yup, i was starting to wonder if i was the only that saw this.

The other weak spot in the Cover 2 is the middle of the field between the 2 safeties, kinda like the area the receiver is running with the safety behind him.

HTTR!

I saw that when it happened... If Booger had chosen the other one then it could have been bad

Yeah BAD for Bulger, if he had setup for a down the middle pass he would have been destroyed by the tank that is #92. Watch the play (specifically the release again).

The Rams receiver in the middle wasn't open. Tryon, I believe, was right in stride with him. Unless you think Bulger could actually throw a 50 yard dart pressured out of the endzone.

It was the Rams last play, and because Bulger has to chuck it up, the safeties sit back and spy the QB. There are better defenses, but who's to know which one would work? The one we ran allowed us to pressure Bulger enough in to forcing a throw deep, and the safety was there to disrupt it as planned.

First i wanted to find out if anyone noticed that there were open receivers as a starting point for the discussion.

I know the play worked as designed, but i don't think it was the right play call.

Imo Cover 2 in that situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Cover 2 Zone has the corners defending a short zone, why would anyone defend a short zone when you know they have to throw it deep?

Wouldn't it make more sense to play Cover 2 Man/Under?

Where the CB play man to man with the receivers with safety help over top?

Imo its an example of a suspect call on the coaches part that puts the players in bad situations.

They didn't HAVE to throw it deep, there was over a minute left on the clock. The skins had to defend all areas of the field on that play. If they HAD to throw it deep then we would have seen LL on the 50 yard line.

Personally I didn't expect a bomb, I was expecting a screen to get out of the endzone and just get a first down.

So you admit that the receiver was running open?;)

an open receiver in th NFL doesn't bug me, an open receiver when we have no pressure on the QB does.

You stand back there and make rational decisions with Haynesworth and Orakpo trying to kill you. Like I said Bulger COULDN'T go to the left of middle because of the pressure. Hell we could have not even covered that half of the field and he still wouldn't have been able to complete a pass that way.

Yeah BAD for Bulger, if he had setup for a down the middle pass he would have been destroyed by the tank that is #92. Watch the play (specifically the release again).

#92 had nothing to do with which receiver he chose and his set up wouldnt have really been altered that much. We just got a little lucky on that one which is always a good thing :)

Cover 2 Zone has the corners defending a short zone, why would anyone defend a short zone when you know they have to throw it deep?

Wouldn't it make more sense to play Cover 2 Man/Under?

Where the CB play man to man with the receivers with safety help over top?

Imo its an example of a suspect call on the coaches part that puts the players in bad situations.

Really? 4th and 10, the Def is in a Cover 2 Man/Under. Two outside receivers run nine routes. Straight up the numbers. This takes the 2 outside CB and turns their back to LOS. Both FS and SS are now accounted for. That allows the TE/Slot/RB 1 on 1 with a LB. For S & Gs, lets say it Leaves Randy McMichael singled up with Rocky/London. Complete that pass down the seam and McMichael runs for 40 yds. Now the rams can clock it at midfield with 40'some seconds left. Only 10 yds more needed to kick a realistic FG with the wind at your back for a strong-legged kicker.

I thought I was the only one that saw our best cover corner pass off their best wideout to a saefty with 99 yds of real estate to cover.

Blache is totally backwards, when he should be bending, he is in cover 2. Imagine the fallout if that ball wasnt underthrown?

For everyone that thinks Jason sucks, we have much bigger problems. Starting with Blache and Zorns play calling and personnel moves. Did everyone see the Jets attacking Brady? Why is Blache afraid to do that??

Its mind boggling, it really is.

It was a cover-2 zone if you watch the play the CB stops after 15 or so yards and lets the WR go to the safeties zone. It worked as it was drawn up whether that was the right defense at the time is a better question but it worked out.

Yikes. I didn't realize that was the call. That could have ended in disaster. That seems like a really low percentage success rate play call that ended up OK because it was the Rams. Can we not play man or something? Then again they didn't have timeouts and we were getting after the QB. Still why do we gamble so much?

For everyone that thinks Jason sucks, we have much bigger problems. Starting with Blache and Zorns play calling and personnel moves. Did everyone see the Jets attacking Brady? Why is Blache afraid to do that??

Its mind boggling, it really is.

Amen to that. The coaching staff on this team really needs to get it together. The problem is I don't think they can.

For once, I'm am all about Danny making a decision to bring in another coach.

The play by play guy actually thought we should go for the touchdown? I would have freaked out if we had tried anything other than three kneel-downs. I already almost had a heart attack from the whole fourth quarter. Going for anything but the kneel had absolutely 0 advantage. And I say that with Clinton Portis and Jason Campbell on my fantasy teams and they were starting yesterday! (needless to say I lost this week)

I wasn't comfortable with the last play at all... we gave them an opportunity to win the game there, in my opinion... leaving a year 2 strong safety to cover their number one receiver with the game on the line is not what I'd call a successful scheme... and I'm a huge blache supporter... seems a lot of people here have the attitude that because it worked, it was justified... not something I agree with...

if bulger throws the ball to the guy in the middle horton then peels off his guy and can deck the receiver when/if the ball gets there. I also think tryon was a little bit closer than the video shows you to believe. when you see them,they are both running towards the intended receiver because the ball has been thrown. it doesn't show how tight/loose the coverage was prior the pass.

Did anyone notice that on the Rams last play of their was a receiver open in the middle of the field BEHIND the defense?

And why do we need Horton(fast becoming my favorite Redskin) to make a TD saving pass break-up?

Why is our SS matched up man-to-man with their best receiver on a play where we knew the Rams had to throw deep?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d812cce6f/Redskins-Defense-Highlight-WK-02-vs-Rams-2009

I have doubts about many aspects of the defensive and offensive game management.

The play happened with 1:40 left in the game. So you had to defend the short pass as well otherwise Rams could have picked up 10-15 yards and a first down and then spiked the ball. They only needed a field goal so had to defend both the first down and have the safety over the top. I would agree that the end result of the play did seem too close to make you uncomfortable as a skins fan.

Did anyone notice that on the Rams last play of their was a receiver open in the middle of the field BEHIND the defense?

And why do we need Horton(fast becoming my favorite Redskin) to make a TD saving pass break-up?

Why is our SS matched up man-to-man with their best receiver on a play where we knew the Rams had to throw deep?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d812cce6f/Redskins-Defense-Highlight-WK-02-vs-Rams-2009

I have doubts about many aspects of the defensive and offensive game management.

we were in a cover 2 zone. the cb is to ride the receiver to the safety. they did exactly what they are supposed to do.

The coverage was right in front of me (sec 340). I fully expected Avery to make the catch and have Brown beat us on a long FG again. You can't allow a team like that to hang around. We did last year and it bit us. I fully expected it again. Fortunately for us, it was Horton defending and not Torrence!

Horton is the man!!!:point2sky

Archived