Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins' defense with Sean Taylor

REDSKINS HISTORIAN

This is a question I agonize over constantly, and I’m sure many of you do, too: How good would the Redskins’ defense be today with all-world safety Sean Taylor manning the backfield? It’s so maddening just to think about what could have been, and how the Redskins and their fans got such a raw deal due to the tragic loss of a wonderful talent and future Hall of Famer.

Last year in its first full season without Taylor after his death in Nov. 2007, the Redskins’ D finished No. 4 in the NFL. That’s nothing to pout about. But the defense produced a dearth of turnovers and sacks, failing to consistently give the offense a short field, and had problems getting opponents off the field at critical times.

But now with the additions of $100 million tackle Albert Haynesworth and rookie linebacker/end Brian Orakpo, plus all of the talent we have coming back, including headhunting safety LaRon Landry, our defense has the potential to be “scary good,” as NBC Sunday Night Football analyst Chris Collinsworth put it. Throw in Taylor, and how dominant would this defense really be? I posed that question to four Redskins who played with Taylor – defensive end Phillip Daniels, cornerback Fred Smoot, linebacker London Fletcher and Landry – as well as Brig Owens, a Redskins safety from 1966 to 1977 and the second-leading interception man in team history (36). Here’s what they had to say:

Phillip Daniels

Fred Smoot

London Fletcher

LaRon Landry

Brig Owens

It pains me to think of how unstoppable we'd look, if we still had Sean Taylor, but I guess I take some comfort in the fact that our current D is almost like an homage to ST: tough, hard-hitting, and ferocious. Those adjectives don't really do ST's game justice, but that was how he played.

I think about this whenever I think about how good our defense is right now... I was actually going to start a thread on this at some point this season, right after our D put up a dominating performance. Fletcher came closest to echoing my sentiments when he said that they feel "cheated." The team was cheated and the fans were cheated. He should still be out there today.

Sean Taylor- gone but never forgotten. RIP #21

Eh, Horton never played with Sean.

Thanks for the audio, OP. Good stuff, pretty moving hearing them talk about it. Daniels was especially passionate about it.

I know, but he is speculating what if Sean was on this year's defense, which includes Horton. Sean never played with Rak or Haynesworth either. He could have at least mentioned Horton come off the bench or something along those lines.

I know, but he is speculating what if Sean was on this year's defense, which includes Horton. Sean never played with Rak or Haynesworth either. He could have at least mentioned Horton come off the bench or something along those lines.

Yeah folks always seem to forget about that. Losing Sean was horrible but that said I think someone kinda smiled down on this team in it's time of need. I mean we were lucky to have already gotten Landry who is a player thats about as close to getting another Sean as anyone can reasonable expect to get and while he's no ST either we had a player like Horton come out of NOWHERE. Even with the tragic circumstances I think we were pretty lucky. I think we all wish we could have Sean back but I think Landry/Horton isnt that bad a consolation.

I really hate when these questions are asked. I think we all know how good this team would be with him, he was like the Cooley of defense. No matter what time, what team, what score, he was always playing his heart out and hitting people as hard as he could.

I understand why they ask these questions, but at the same time Horton must feel like crap, he plays his heart out as well, he's just not as good on rage and hard hits, YET.

I really hate when these questions are asked. I think we all know how good this team would be with him, he was like the Cooley of defense. No matter what time, what team, what score, he was always playing his heart out and hitting people as hard as he could.

I understand why they ask these questions, but at the same time Horton must feel like crap, he plays his heart out as well, he's just not as good on rage and hard hits, YET.

I see what you're trying to say about Cooley playing his ass off; however, Cooley doesn't strike fear into the defense like Taylor struck fear into the hearts of receivers who were about go to deep or try to go across the middle. Everything I've read from receivers is that they had to know where Sean was at all times because he could take their heads off if they weren't paying attention.

I don't know if Horton feels like crap, he knows what the Skins had in Sean, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ever thinks about what could have been if Sean was still on the team, and Horton was the 3rd safety. I think Landry is the one that has to carry the bulk of the burden on him because he's the one who is trying to "replace" Sean, but even LaRon can't live up to what Sean did on the field. Which is no shot at LaRon, but just how damn scary Sean was on the field.

Of course having 21 back there would be scary and great (for us) at the same time. He was a Meast!

Next time give Daniels a rest before you interview him.. he was sucking wind big time.. LOL was this right after practice? :D

And good job with the rest, you might want to not say, "uh huh" so much though, doesnt sound professional, but if you arent going for that, forget i mentioned it :silly:

Archived