Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins' defense with Sean Taylor

REDSKINS HISTORIAN

I met Horton as a rookie before he won the starting job, at Tequana Flats in Ashburn. He took the time to eat with my family, he was really a quiet likeable guy. Before we all left for the evening, I pointed to my 21 tattoo, and said to him "never forget to play lights out like Sean, cuz us fans will never forget him." He was really humble and said he would never be able to replace the Meast but he would try his best. That will always stick with me, the fact that he knew what Sean was, but more importantly what he meant to the fans. RIP MEAST

Thanks for helping keep his memory fresh in everyones mind!! It is good to hear the players think like us, "what if"

21 F O R E V E R !!!

See Mike, I told you the other week when we talked about these clips that we weren't the only ones to have ever wonder 'What if'. :)

Thanks for sharing these clips with everyone.

No problem, T.K. I was happy to do it. And you were absolutely right about the curiosity of Redskin fans regarding Sean Taylor. It's a very emotional issue for us. Unfortunately, we can only imagine how dominant our defense would be if #21 still wore the burgundy and gold.

Thank you so much for sharing these.

Regardless of what some say, Taylor was the greatest talent that some of us have ever seen on this team or even ever will.

Gregg Williams put it best: "You were the best I ever coached; you will be missed."

Man, I really felt like Sean was the defensive MVP the season that we lost him. I truly believe that his impact is underestimated, not exaggerated. There is no telling how good he could have been. I'm not an old timer, but Sean was the most fearsome player I've ever seen in terms of his hitting ability. I'd give anything just to have that back on the team, without the hands, awareness, coverage ability, ability to play man coverage on the other teams best WR, etc.

I not only think of the incredible player he was, but how it must suck to raise his daughter w/o her dad. I loved the fact that Sean was growing into a real man, we all could see that maturity process. He gave everything on the field, he never let us down.

Thank you for the clips.

do have a question for anyone that might know- are they still keeping his locker encased?

PS- and I loved the way he hated the Pukes!

I hate to be a contrarian, I liked Sean as much as anyone and would love to have him patrolling our backfield. But at this point, he would have been in line for a massive extension, and I think that with that contract on the books, we very likely wouldn't have been able to afford Haynesworth. Not only that, but as someone said, we may very well have finished in a different spot and not been able to draft Orakpo. Nor would we have ever discovered Chris Horton.

Our defense would be very good, but would look very different. I don't think the possibility of having Sean, Haynesworth, Rak, etc. all on the field would have been possible, fiscally.

But damn, it sure would have been nasty to watch if we could have managed it.

What a great idea for a thread. It was nice hearing what the players think of him. Thanks so much.

Daniels was so sincere and I particularly liked hearing Smoot talk about the season he was having with all the picks and the fact that he was coming into his own and becoming the best safety to ever play.

OP, I wouldnt mind you adding on to this with other interviews. I for one would like to hear what C-los has to say about it, and even Santana, CP. That would be awesome!

Any chance?

i really really miss him.he was much more than just a great safety.he was the heart of this franchise and team.i do believe that this is one of the issues facing this team.no one has replaced him in that to this point.Portis trys but it isn't working.i don't know if the replacement is on this team but every team that is going after the lombardi has a key player that you could say is the heart of the team.this team doesn't have one.during Gibbs era it was John and the oline and mainly Gibbs himself.right now i just don't see anyone in that role.but we need one.there's brady,the manningbro's ,tomlinson,peterson and so on.:helmet::allhail:

i don't agonize over how he would make the redskins better i wish he would have just been alive to see his daughter grow up and be a great husband and father. If he never played another down in the nfl i would be so happy for him.

im sorry but ive grown tired of this question.....look at my name and ask yourself if im being disrespectful.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Gone but never forgotten

I hate to be a contrarian, I liked Sean as much as anyone and would love to have him patrolling our backfield. But at this point, he would have been in line for a massive extension, and I think that with that contract on the books, we very likely wouldn't have been able to afford Haynesworth. Not only that, but as someone said, we may very well have finished in a different spot and not been able to draft Orakpo. Nor would we have ever discovered Chris Horton.

Our defense would be very good, but would look very different. I don't think the possibility of having Sean, Haynesworth, Rak, etc. all on the field would have been possible, fiscally.

But damn, it sure would have been nasty to watch if we could have managed it.

I definitely agree. Having ST probably would've meant that they could not afford guys like AH and Orakpo, especially since ST and Cooley were in the same draft class. The Skins probably would've re-signed both Taylor and Cooley, but could not have paid AH and probably not DeAngelo Hall with the money Taylor would've commanded.

Great Post..Hopefully some of theses dumb fans on here will listen to those comments..It pisses me off to hear Redskin fans say stupid things like"ST couldn't cover",or "ST isn't a top 5 nfl saftey" just listen! Each comment had the same things in common..NO THROWING DEEP,ST CAN COVER THE WHOLE feild,WR's played TIMID,Best SAfTEY in the NFL,could have been the BEST EVER...I guess Smoot,PD,Landry,Fletch,ect..are wearing homer shades too!

I definitely agree. Having ST probably would've meant that they could not afford guys like AH and Orakpo, especially since ST and Cooley were in the same draft class. The Skins probably would've re-signed both Taylor and Cooley, but could not have paid AH and probably not DeAngelo Hall with the money Taylor would've commanded.

I will take ST over both of them!

Sean was easily becoming the face of the franchise at the time of his untimely death. Our team was taking on the personality of Sean, agressive. The problem is that he STILL is the face of the franchise. You can't have a guy that has passed and not played a down in almost 2 years as the face of your franchise.

Everytime I think about this stuff one of the things that comes to mind was when Landry found out. Him and Taylor being close, and Taylor giving him a ride to practice as a time for them to bond. Landry being quoted as saying 'who's going to drive me home now?' Very sad in all regards.

I really think this is a question that every Redskins fan asks themself, whether they want to admit it or not. I know I try to push it out of my thoughts. London really did say it best. We were cheated.

Think of what may have been always brings a heavy heart. He alone brought a pride to the redskins fans that we had been missing for almost a decade. It was so fun watching the defense play and i was always on the edge of my seat waiting for the next WR cringe and hesitate on a catch knowing ST was there ready to pop him. I honestly don't think we would have Hall here if ST was still here. And i really think Williams would be here still if ST were here. He was his mentor and next to a father figure to him.

...Man i miss him.

Archived