Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Texas Prisoner becomes Instant Millionare

H-O-G

Thomas McGowan's journey from prison to prosperity is about to culminate in $1.8 million, and he knows just how to spend it: on a house with three bedrooms, stainless steel kitchen appliances and a washer and dryer. "I'll let my girlfriend pick out the rest," said McGowan, who was exonerated last year based on DNA evidence after spending nearly 23 years in prison for rape and robbery.

Rest of article here --> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090904/ap_on_re_us/us_exoneree_millionaires

I think the dude deserves it all. 23 years in prison is a long time for a crime he didn't commit, I'm very glad to see him get this.

Now at least we know why Texas executes so many. They can't afford not to.

LMAO. Bad, but funny. :laugh:

Edit from the article:

"McGowan and the others are among 38 DNA exonerees in Texas."

38?? 38 innocence people that have bee incarcerated for crimes they didn't commit? man what the #%^* is wrong with our judicial system.

$78,000 per year screw that, they should have handed him 10 times that amount, and smiled doing so.

*edit: So that's what 23 years of a man's life is worth...damn...Texas got off easy.

Extremely easy.....I'd be even more pissed if I was that guy and I received that little amount for all that time in jail.

$78,000 per year screw that, they should have handed him 10 times that amount, and smiled doing so.

*edit: So that's what 23 years of a man's life is worth...damn...Texas got off easy.

It's clearly not enough in isolation, but it becomes more difficult when you consider that the money has to come from somewhere, so every dollar spent on this rightful compensation is a dollar that can't be spent on school buildings, or roads, or medical assistance for the elderly, or policeman salaries, or whatever.

All of this has to be balanced.

Sometimes, there's just no way that things can be made right.

Archived