Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is your workplace once what it was?!

WhoRUSupposed2Be

I certainly miss the times of when I was almost enthusiastic to be at work. I always had work to do during the four seasons and not mention, a supervisor that rode my behind to see me succeed. If you think having a woman at home is painful, then try having one with an authoritarian role... not easy at all :D. The people were friendlier and the chitter- chatter was without any controversy.

Now in the midst of furloughs, lay-offs and left and right politicial pandemonium... it is just a downright drag to be here! My supervisor employed by the State for 35+ yrs. is now retired and unheard of. I am juggling between which week to arrange for my furlough period... and I am constantly hearing of how indebt the county is in but could afford to give a financial advisor who works with us a promotion?! Such backwardness....

But hey, be thanksful you still have a job, right?!

I entered the workforce in 1992, during a big downturn in the economy, with a degree in History and Political science. People would literally laugh when I told them what my degree was in. When one of my roommates, a business major, got a job as a receptionist answering phones for $9 an hour we were all jealous. I ended up waiting tables for a year before I found a job where I could sit down for most of the day, laying out classified ads in a newspaper for $8.50 an hour. At the time I felt like the luckiest guy in the world.

Five years later kids with BAs were getting $40k/year jobs thrown at them, but my ship had sailed.

I wasn't bitter though, because whatever I was doing was still better than waiting tables. :)

The economy runs in cycles. It always will. This just happens to be a bad, bad downturn. Things will be better in a few years and you'll feel better about the world. I promise. :)

Really PCS, I did not know that.

Aren't you an employer with the organization though?

Nope. I do what I do on ES as a volunteer. Just like the rest of the mods. Our time and free of charge. We may get to cover the odd game or two,but even then we end up paying for that one way or the other.

I remember when it was like Mad Men at my job.

Now you can't even pinch a girl's posterior without getting an HR interview.

Only difference between now and the old days is that pinching a girl's posterior would get you a punch in the head by the pinchee or her boyfriend/husband. Any HR involvement would be spending the next 6 months trying to figure out if the bruise was indeed,from tripping on the stairs. ;)

Nope. I do what I do on ES as a volunteer. Just like the rest of the mods. Our time and free of charge. We may get to cover the odd game or two,but even then we end up paying for that one way or the other.

[/Quote]

Understandable, so by odd games, do you mean a wagering bets amongst good 'ol friends.

Understandable, so by odd games, do you mean a wagering bets amongst good 'ol friends.

OLS. No. Just means that there is the occasional,somewhat rare chance to cover a game from the sidelines. The cost can from several things,up to and including lost time from work,(though clearly not a problem for me right now).

Yep same old bs and a slave driving ******* for a boss...I'm self employed.

:hysterical: I remember when I owned my gym. Some members would ask me how it was working for myself. I told them that I worked for a lot of pricks in my day,but I was the worst. :silly:

Despite my thread today, I generally love what I do. I'm constantly learning and meeting new folks. The drag is that most of the relationships are fleeting. You meet someone for one day interview them and while you might do a follow-up it's generally onto the next world and the next story. I suppose if I had a political beat I would run into the same folks all the time, but despite my posting on ES I think a political beat would make me utterly miserable.

As for the office itself, they're mostly pretty cool people and the engineers are great.

I landed a Govt contractor position a few months ago, but went through a stretch of unemployment from August 2008-Jan 2009, so I can def sympathize with anyone who has been unemployed for a stretch. I managed to not take unemployment, but it really depleated my bank account. I got along by making money with my blue collar trade (laying brick/building chimney's) when a buddy of mine needed help, but it wasnt often. I finally landed a part time job, which got me a foot in the door for a fulltime gig on Ft. belvior base because I already knew the computer applications used from my part time gig.

Best advice I can give is to find a Govt contractor in the field you specialize in and apply.

I have to say Govt contractor is the way to go. It makes it very easy to make a lateral move and become a GS worker. Im just waiting right now, biding my time. After I have been in my position a year or two, and when the new hospital at Ft. Belvior opens up, I plan on making moves and landing a GS position. There seems to be no shortage of work with the Govt. feel lucky to live in the DC MEtro area b/c I know that the job market isnt so robust everywhere else.

Translation: The engineers are internet savvy and I know which side my bread is buttered on. :silly:

Well, not so much internet savvy as tech savvy. I'm dependent on them for sounding good... or at least not sounding like a chipmunk. :D

Seriously though, I've gotten some great advice and most of my know-how from the techs. Often I've found that the techs know more than anyone else in most professional settings because they are on the ground getting it done and have the dirtiest hands.

Im only there once every 4 days so I really cant complain too much. Its catching up to us though unfortunately and they're talking layoffs in the near future. I dont think anybody is exempt from this economy except for the politicians and the greedy hi end execs. and so forth, but when you mess with public safety you just rolling the dice. I'll always love going to work though man Im doing what Ive always wanted to do. The b.s. I have to deal with wont get me down. I really do wish everybody the best of luck, you know its getting bad when its starting to hit the D.C. area like it is.

I landed a Govt contractor position a few months ago, but went through a stretch of unemployment from August 2008-Jan 2009, so I can def sympathize with anyone who has been unemployed for a stretch. I managed to not take unemployment, but it really depleated my bank account. I got along by making money with my blue collar trade (laying brick/building chimney's) when a buddy of mine needed help, but it wasnt often. I finally landed a part time job, which got me a foot in the door for a fulltime gig on Ft. belvior base because I already knew the computer applications used from my part time gig.

Best advice I can give is to find a Govt contractor in the field you specialize in and apply.

I have to say Govt contractor is the way to go. It makes it very easy to make a lateral move and become a GS worker. Im just waiting right now, biding my time. After I have been in my position a year or two, and when the new hospital at Ft. Belvior opens up, I plan on making moves and landing a GS position. There seems to be no shortage of work with the Govt. feel lucky to live in the DC MEtro area b/c I know that the job market isnt so robust everywhere else.

Are there any benefits in contractual servicing

Are there any benefits in contractual servicing

depends on the contractor you go through id guess. I have full benefits, and because my fiancee has her own healthcare, its free for me. I also have dental and optical besides my health insurance through the contractor. Also, I get Govt holidays off, paid and work a mon-fri 9-5 schedule. Its a pretty money set up.

Archived