Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Ladell our short yardage back?

gutlead74

Ladell doesn't seem to be able to see the smaller gaps that are common down in tight. The 3rd and 1 play last night there was a clear defined gap, Ladell ran to this gap instead of hugging it tight where the was a clear path he hit the gap wide and ran right in to a steeler being blocked. if you want to examine our inability to get 6, take notice when we get in close CP comes out and Ladell comes in.

Ladell is a fine change of pace type back and a good backup he is however a terrible short yardage back. This isn't the only example just the most recent.

This thread will probably be closed/merged, but I do agree. Betts is a good back between the 20s, but I don't like him in the red zone. The red zone should be where your best players come out and show why they're the best, not for the backups who are backups for a reason. Maybe this was all just a preseason thing, but I'm going to be annoyed if we start pulling Portis out when we get in scoring range.

I doubt we will be using him as a goal line back during the regular season. He was probably just getting situational reps for the preseason. We never saw him near the goal line during the reg season last year.

they did it all last year and the year before:mad:

I doubt we will be using him as a goal line back during the regular season. He was probably just getting situational reps for the preseason. We never saw him near the goal line during the reg season last year.

I don't know about last year, but in 2008 I remember he was our goal line back. After that Giants game, he should have not touch the ball inside the 5 yard line again.

Our team has been terrible at short yardage and goal line for a long time now. We've tried Sellers, Portis, Betts all with poor results. I have to imagine that it's about our o line. Heck, our best short yardage guy or our last best short yardage guy might've been Rock.

I don't know about last year, but in 2008 I remember he was our goal line back. After that Giants game, he should have not touch the ball inside the 5 yard line again.

Look at Jason Campbell. Zorn is a slow learner.

Go ahead. Expect Betts to be the short yardage guy, at least until Cower arrives in town.

If I see Betts come in on 1st and goal again and they give it to him 2 or 3 out of 3 tries I will be convinced that Zorn is a Ritard.

Trying to evaluate your QB and tall WR.

Perfect time is at hand in a goal line chance.

What do you do Zorn?

Try to re-enact thats giants game goal line debacle.:doh::doh::doh:

Its Preseason where you evaluate now instead of the regular season. You place players in different situations to see how they, gasp, perform outside their norm.

More than likely it will be portis though a scatback like the Rock would be a change of pace that close to the goalline

Nuff said. Not as strong as Portis. Goes down on first contact. Ever see him truck over anyone who wasn't a DB?

Me neither.

Bingo.

Not only is he not as talented as CP (a given) he isn't even stronger or more "punishing" as CP. There is zero reason to have Betts in the game unless CP is winded. None.

Oh and he's injured once again!

Yet another little tidbit that some people, who like to take a dump on CP whenever they can, always seems to gloss over. Being able to carry the load week in and week out for 16 games (something CP has done his entire career) is a rare and yes, ELITE, ability in a runningback. Betts has never been asked to do that, and he always seems to get hurt every year.

Which is why he should be replaced with Marcus Mason.

At least Mason runs with power and effort in short yardage situations.

Amen.

Mason should have replaced Betts 2 years ago. But I'm not going to hold my breath that truly "the best player" will make the team. Hasn't happened for two years now, why would it happen now?

Archived