Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Ladell our short yardage back?

gutlead74

If you Betts Bashers could find a stat showing that Portis has a much superior goal-to-go efficiency than Betts, stated as a percentage, you could support your claim.

All I know is that Clinton was given more opportunities, thus more TDs. That doesn't prove anything and neither does your mindless repetition of the same unsupported claims.

how about this: portis is mentioned in potential hall-of-fame discussions; betts is not

portis gets more looks because he's better....

sorry i didn't give you any percentages... oh wait here's one: portis is 100% better in pass pro...

:pokeye:

That's right, everything else being equal, the number of carries has no impact on the YPC.

First, a correction -- Riggins YPC was 3.9. But, you can't compare his YPC to Joe Washington's because they were different types of runners. It's like trying to compare apples and oranges. Power runners like Riggins are expected to have lower YPCs as a group. Joe Washington was an outside runner whose YPC mixed in big plays and greater inconsistency than Riggins' YPC (see the explanation and the link I gave QBkiller).

We can compare Betts and Portis because they have similar running styles. If Portis was the much superior runner, he should have a much better YPC.

I disagree with your interpretation. Betts has a smaller number of carries and yet manages only to equal what Clinton has achieved. How you can take that and then extrapolate that to 300 carries and just assume that Betts would be able to match or better Clinton is just speculation on your part.

Fact, Betts has never carried the load for a single season, let alone 5 seasons.

As for my analogy, how about George Rogers then.

He ran in the same offense and was a "power back". Geoger average 4.2 yards per carry on 697 carries in his Redskin career.

Or what about Gerald Riggs? He averaged 3.9 yards on 402 carries.

Both are better than Riggins' 3.6.

Are they better players/runners than Riggins?

By your rationale, yes they were. Doesn't matter if they had significantly less carries, they are the same type of runners as Riggins and yet had a better YPC. On top of it, while Riggs (like Betts) never was able to carry the full load for a season, Rogers did. So I could make an even stronger case (using your logic) that Rogers was just as good as Riggins than you can make with Portis and Betts.

Also you mentioned about goalline percentage in another post.

NFL.com does not list that but it does list the carries from the 19 to the endzone.

Since 2004 (both players running with the same offense/players around them)

Clinton 215 carries 38 touchdowns 17.67%

Betts 72 carries 8 touchdowns 11.11%

Betts' best percentage was 2006. 23 carries and 4 touchdowns for a 17.39%. So Betts' "best" season, he could not even match Clinton's AVERAGE for 5 seasons as a redzone runner td percentage.

I have to assume you are at this point just being a devil's advocate and know that by any measure, Clinton is the superior player.

Archived