Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is Ladell our short yardage back?

gutlead74

I will not trust Mike Sellers as a short yardage back until he stop leaving his ******* feet on 3rd/4th and short rather than just plow into the crowd. He is horrible at jumping, and loses all. momentum and power when he does so.

This is exactly what I came into this thread to say. Mike is surprisingly nimble for a guy his size, and if he's one on one in the flat and tries to hurdle someone aiming for his legs, fine. But running the ball in short yardage situations, just plow into the pile and fall forward for crap's sake.

I'd only use him on 3rd/4th and one yard or less, and fine him if he leaves his feet. 3rd and 2, Portis is the man.

People look at Betts and think he runs with power. He doesn't. He should not be in short yardage situation

Neither Portis or Betts is a power back. I don't see Clinton doing anything special in tight. He just gets more carries than Betts.

I've thought about this idea when it's come up on ES board before. Unfortunately Mike Sellers missed the block that kept Betts out of the end zone on third down last night. It's unusual for him to do so, but it happened. If he's the ballcarrier maybe he gets in, but maybe he doesn't get close because we haven't got an equally good lead blocker replacement. :confused:

Mike DID NOT miss the Block, Betts missed the hole. trust me i have slow moed the crap out of it. you can tell Betts wanted to go wide sees it cut off and cant get to where mike had lead into the correct gap. that was a outside zone lead Mike read it correctly and turned the LB sealing him off, dumbass Betts unable to recover ran right into him. Mike Sellers is one of THE best lead blockers in the game Betts cant read backs. for those that dont know when your running zone schemes the ball carrier should read his blockers backs which if Betts did he would have been untouched.

the most telling thing was Santanas sideline interview, he said portis was upset because if he was in there they would have scored.

I believe Portis is probably the best down there.

But we need better coaching there too. We seem to get tense.

Everyone on earth knew we were running left. I mean, come on.

That puts any RB at a huge disadvantage.

why would you run behind your by far best line man.... geeze that is stupid:doh:

the only dissadvantage is Betts cant read a zone scheme

why would you run behind your by far best line man.... geeze that is stupid:doh:

What are you talking about? WHAT zone scheme? I've never heard of that on a goalline defense.

I saw two defenders and just one blocker (Sellers). Where the hell was Betts supposed to go?

We don't have the hogs anymore.

Success comes from simply putting your players in the most favorable positions.

If our o-line can't manhandle d-lines, and everyone on earth knows you are about to try it anyway.....that isn't putting your team in the best position to succeed.

It isn't rocket science. Our coach needs to step up his game down there.

What are you talking about. WHAT zone scheme?

the play in question was an outside zone lead to the left all of the linemen zone to the left trying to cutoff defenders if they cant cut them off you stay on them and run them out of the play or ideally into a pile created by a defender that has been "reached". it is a Zone scheme beacause you are taking your steps letting the defenders chase the backs and cutting them off as they come into your zone. Gibbs and Buges invented it. the backs then read blocker backs to find the right gap (weakness in D)

We don't have the hogs anymore.

Success comes from simply putting your players in the most favorable positions.

If our o-line can't manhandle d-lines, and everyone on earth knows you are about to try it anyway.....that isn't putting your team in the best position to succeed.

It isn't rocket science. Our coach needs to step up his game down there.

except it did work. the gap was there, betts missed it. sorry your argument is based on madden not fact. Portis goes in untouched just as it was concieved. sux when reality slaps ya in the face

except it did work. the gap was there, betts missed it. sorry your argument is based on madden not fact. Portis goes in untouched just as it was concieved. sux when reality slaps ya in the face

"Reality" is that it is stupid to have only one play for that position, and then to try to run that play every single time.

"Intelligence" is having multiple plays to run in that scenario--or in any scenario for that matter.

That's on the coach.

"Reality" is that it is stupid to have only one play for that position, and then to try to run that play every single time.

"Intelligence" is having multiple plays to run in that scenario--or in any scenario for that matter.

Zone running is a different play every time, if your back can read it. Shannahan and Tom Moore base their entire offence off it, are they stupid coaches?

Zone running is a different play every time, if your back can read it. Shannahan and Tom Moore base their entire offence off it, are they stupid coaches?

Heck, why not just do a zone running play every single play of the entire game then?

Let's forget the passing game altogether!

Fantastic!

I think you're confused. I don't think the Skins use zone blocking at the goal line. My understanding is that one of the weaknesses of zone blocking was its red zone ineffectiveness. Denver was had a history of weakness in the red zone under Shanahan.

Furthermore, there was no double-team which is what the link describes. I only saw the play once, but I saw one blocker (Sellers) and two defenders.

Heck, why not just do a zone running play every single play of the entire game then?

Let's forget the passing game altogether!

Fantastic!

sure that will solve Betts inability to read a zone scheme:doh:your are missing the point completely. you said the coaches were at fault for calling that play, the gap was clearly there our left side had the D cutoff Mike sealed the LB outside. Chris is the best OL we have and you seem to think running behind him is a bad idea. typical "fan" response to everything "we need to throw the ball"

I think you're confused. I don't think the Skins use zone blocking at the goal line. My understanding is that one of the weaknesses of zone blocking was its red zone ineffectiveness. Denver was had a history of weakness in the red zone under Shanahan.

Furthermore, there was no double-team which is what the link describes. I only saw the play once, but I saw one blocker (Sellers) and two defenders.

i would suggest watching it again.

sellers is the lead his job is to read the hole get into it and block whomever shows

sure that will solve Betts inability to read a zone scheme:doh:your are missing the point completely. you said the coaches were at fault for calling that play, the gap was clearly there our left side had the D cutoff Mike sealed the LB outside. Chris is the best OL we have and you seem to think running behind him is a bad idea. typical "fan" response to everything "we need to throw the ball"

Betts seemed to run well in 2006 when the Skins introduced zone blocking. I saw no gap there . And I really doubt that the Skins use zone blocking at the goal ine.

Calling an identical play, and one that hasn't been successful, over and over again is stupidity.

And on so many levels.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the mental effects of continuing down such an ignorant path.

Betts may be on his way to having a complex now. And after last season, Sellers is probably one more failed attempt away from having a complex himself.

Now all we will need to do is to have Portis fail a few more times down there, and we have the trifecta.

There is no rule that we have to run left every single time inside the 5 yard line.

It is bad coaching. Doing the same thing over and over again with multiple players, and expecting different results is bad coaching.

Archived