Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

yahoo news: woman sues zoo over splashing dolphins

squatch66

:doh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_dolphin_lawsuit_odds

Woman sues zoo over splashing dolphins

Fri Aug 21, 12:03 pm ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) – A woman is suing a Chicago-area zoo for a 2008 fall near a dolphin exhibit, accusing zookeepers of encouraging the mammals to splash water and then failing to protect spectators from wet surfaces, local media reported on Thursday.

In her suit filed earlier this week, Allecyn Edwards said she was injured while walking near an exhibit at Brookfield Zoo, where a group of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins were performing, media said.

Officials "recklessly and willfully trained and encouraged the dolphins to throw water at the spectators in the stands, making the floor wet and slippery," but failed to post warning signs or lay down protective mats or strips, the suit said, according to the reports.

Edwards is demanding more than $50,000 for lost wages, medical expenses and emotional trauma from the Chicago Zoological Society and the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, which operate the zoo in Chicago's southwest suburbs.

The suit was filed in Illinois' Circuit Court of Cook County.

(Reporting by Ros Krasny; Editing by Paul Simao)

On the other hand, the zoo certainly should have anti-skid down in areas that they knowingly will douse with water. Only makes sense in our litigious society to protect yourself with such measures. But, even the legal issue aside, they should make every effort to ensure the park is safe.

If she truly slipped because it was slippery, she has a valid case. They should pay her verified medical and loss wage expenses. She can stick the emotional trauma crap.

Ummm, I don't know, this one doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. She isn't asking for a ton of money, and if the zoo really didn't put signs or warnings up, coupled with no mats or textured flooring, her injury could have and should have been prevented.

I know there are an over abundance of stupid lawsuits these days, but at face value, I'm not sure this is one of them.

Ummm, I don't know, this one doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. She isn't asking for a ton of money, and if the zoo really didn't put signs or warnings up, coupled with no mats or textured flooring, her injury could have and should have been prevented.
Do you really think that there were no warnings about people or surfaces getting wet at a dolphin splashing exhibit? I mean she is one out of thousands who has probably seen this exhibit.

Do you really think that there were no warnings about people or surfaces getting wet at a dolphin splashing exhibit? I mean she is one out of thousands who has probably seen this exhibit.

The original article states that she contends there were no such signs.

So we need warning now, next to a fish tank, and big signs that say splash zone? WTF happened to simple common sense.

I guess she needs a warning next to her bathtub as well, because she may not realize that it could be slippery.

See below.

On the other hand, the zoo certainly should have anti-skid down in areas that they knowingly will douse with water. Only makes sense in our litigious society to protect yourself with such measures. But, even the legal issue aside, they should make every effort to ensure the park is safe.

If she truly slipped because it was slippery, she has a valid case. They should pay her verified medical and loss wage expenses. She can stick the emotional trauma crap.

Agree completely. SHOULD she sue? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. But the park should know better. The common sense argument works both ways.

I know there are an over abundance of stupid lawsuits these days, but at face value, I'm not sure this is one of them.

well it's a dolphin exhibit you should expect some water to fly

play with fire you get burned

play with water...you slip and fall on your ass

she was probably so embarrassed and mad at herself she just had to do something.

I find it amusing that so many people are quick to render a verdict based on an article on yahoo. I pray that none of you are called for jury duty.

Ok Mr. Legal Expert. We've seen this all too many times. Someone doesn't use common sense. Company loses money because they didn't put a sign that said "warning, don't touch virtual lava, is hot".

I find it amusing that so many people are quick to render a verdict based on an article on yahoo. I pray that none of you are called for jury duty.

I find it amusing that a lawyer jumps into this thread and defends this by bashing on the people who think this is an idiotic lawsuit....

EMOTIONAL DAMAGE from a freaking dolphin splash. That's absurd.

However, I pray that next time I get the penchant to sue over something so effing ridiculous I can get a lawyer full of integrity to help me.

This kind of stupidity, surprise at splashing around a dolphin tank, ranks right down there with the idiots that need the warning labels "do not stick hands underneath roaring lawn mower".

Hope she loses money when she loses her lawsuit. :mad:

Hey man, for the most part America is all about giving money to those who deserve it least. She will probably win.

Archived