Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Former Bush Aide Says Politics Colored US 'Terror Alerts'

StillUnknown

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090820/pl_afp/usattackspoliticsridge

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Former US homeland security chief Tom Ridge charges in a new book that top aides to then-president George W. Bush pressured him to raise the "terror alert" level to sway the November 2004 US election.

Then defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld and attorney general John Ashcroft pushed him to elevate the color-coded threat level, but Ridge refused, according to a summary from his publisher, Thomas Dunne Books.

"After that episode, I knew I had to follow through with my plans to leave the federal government for the private sector," Ridge is quoting as writing in "The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege ... And How We Can Be Safe Again."

A lot of us said this was going on at the time and were called crazy by Bush loyalists. It was obvious. The question that has to be asked is how is this not something that should be investigated by congress? That's a pretty damn serious charge when you consider alert status' affected law enforcement throughout the country. That's a lot of activity and money to play dirty politics.

A lot of us said this was going on at the time and were called crazy by Bush loyalists. It was obvious. The question that has to be asked is how is this not something that should be investigated by congress? That's a pretty damn serious charge when you consider alert status' affected law enforcement throughout the country. That's a lot of activity and money to play dirty politics.

Republican Congressman:"We shouldn't worry about what happened in the past. It's time to look forward"

I'll be honest, I dismissed talk about screwing with terror alerts prior to the elections as conspiracy theory crap. I didn't think they would stoop that low. Whoever pressured Ridge should be receive a serious beating.

Well, regardless of who the actual aide was, it has Cheney written all over it.

I hope that there is a day that the diehards on each side realize that their guy is just as dirty as the other guy.

Sadly, there are no good guys in politics. Not anymore.

I'd rather people be held responsible for their actions rather then having supporters on both sides just accept they are dirty and allow the system to get worse.

Archived