Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can the Nationals contend anytime soon?!

WhoRUSupposed2Be

anyone see the ESPN special on Bryce Harper, baseball's version of "the chosen one".....Nats seem to be in line to draft him.

They have a number of teams chasing them for that spot. The Nats have played better recently and the O's seem to take a vacation once August comes around. The O's have filled their rotation with rookies that are still adjusting. The rest of the year could be a struggle for them.

If the Nats want to contend, they need to blueprint what the Angels and Scioscia did starting in 2000 when he became the manager.

Work on your farm system, start cultivating your pitchers, play national league style small ball, and have a combo of vets and youth that can hit for average and power.

If the Nats want to contend, they need to blueprint what the Angels and Scioscia did starting in 2000 when he became the manager.

Work on your farm system, start cultivating your pitchers, play national league style small ball, and have a combo of vets and youth that can hit for average and power.

You mean what Kasten did with the Braves in the 90's?

I'm willing to sacrafice a 16 year old prospect to finish ahead of the O's.

This isn't some run of the mill 16 year old prospect though. Honestly, I would rather get Harper than finish over the Nats. Finishing over the Nat would just mean finishing over another team that has struggled and is starting to figure it out.

The Nationals have proven they can be competitive since Wiggleman took over after the all-star break. Basicly the same players, different attitude. With Straburg, everyone a year older, and another #1 overall draft pick coming later next year, I'm going to call them to make people look over their shoulders next year and at least start competing for the Wildcard in 2011. We have offense, it's the defense and bullpin that needs to get better.

Oh, and the Capitals are NOT going to be the only competitive team in town this year. Wizards and the Skins are both flying under the radar right now.

Ummm . . . this is the how most teams become successful. You could say the same thing about the Rays, or the Braves, or the Rockies . . .

I'm willing to sacrafice a 16 year old prospect to finish ahead of the O's.

Frankly, I'm not. Not even a real rivalry. The Nats should be playing every prospect they have in September, just to tank games. Harper is going to be to baseball what Lebron was to basketball.

You mean what Kasten did with the Braves in the 90's?

Sure, why not

The Nats need 3 things now after signing the kid last night.

1. If they finish last and get that Harper kid...that would help

2. They need draft picks from other rounds to develop on schedule

3. They need to start spending big money this offseason.

1. Yes, of course. There isn't a single team in baseball that wouldn't at least considering tanking just to get him.

2. Or develop at all. Right now, we've seem to gotten a hitch in the developmental process of our minor leaguers.

3. No, they don't. Unless you mean signing Harper.

The Nationals are, at least, three years away from pushing for a wild card. Baseball is different than other sports. Phenoms don't just come right in and change a team. It takes 2-3 years for a 1st round pick to even make it to the major leagues. In football and basketball, first round picks are expected to start right away, or they're considered busts.

Strasberg is not ready. With what he's being paid, he's the number one. THe ace. The guy we get 200 innings of high quality pitching from. The guy who stops a 4 game losing streak. He ain't gonna be there for at least three years.

Jordan Zimmerman is going to be on the DL for the next 18 months. Then he's going to need at least a year to get back in to the groove. It'll be three years before we see the improvement we would have seen next year.

Lannan is good. I woud love to see a guy like that as a number 3. He'll be effecient with that heavy sinker and pitch a lot of innings.

After that, the rotation is a crap shoot. Balester? Detweiler? A vet? No idea. But we won't know about Balester or Detweiler for another couple years.

Need a closer too. Drew Storen? Maybe. We'll find out in 3 years.

Finally there is the every day line up . . .

Ryan Zimmerman is the only sure thing on this whole team. One of the best 3B in basebal right now. But he needs more around him?

We all want Bryce Harper. So let's say they sign him. As a catcher, its going to take him a couple years to really get a feel for the big league game. He'll probably hit right away. Still, he's going to need time to adjust.

Adam Dunn? Eh, a nice player, and he's having a career year at the plate (.285 batting average!?!?! ). He's a liability in LF and okay at 1B. I would expect him to be gone in a couple years. Hopefully traded.

Guzman will be gone. So will Belliard. Hopefully we can get some prospects. They're simply not worth the money we'd have to pay them.

Willingham is doing well . . . but its his first season like this. I wanna see him do it again before committing. Same thing with Morgan in CF.

Dukes . . . I'm still hopeful about Dukes. If him and Wilingham pan out, thats our outfield for the next few years. Dukes shows flashes, but never consistancy.

Flores is a talent. Needs to stay healthy. But, I mean, if we have Harper, Flores is sort of redundant. Trade him? Let him go? Move Harper to an outfield position or 1B?

Finally, Chris Marrero. Just got promoted to AA. He's still 3 years away from being a full time major leaguer.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I should explain. There are a ton of holes in this team still. Even with Stras, we're still one of the worst teams in baseball. We need another 3 or 4 years to develop the young talent. Need to trade some of the talent we do have and get some younger potential. There is a future for the Nats however. First time in the team's history they have something to work with . . .

Willingham has been a beast at every level and barring injuries, he'll continue to play at this level or even better. This is his first real chance at keeping a starting position. Look at who he was behind in the minors. Willingham, Morgan, and Dukes is a solid outfield with Zim at first, Harper or Flores (STAY HEALTHY) at C, Dunn at first, and Guzman and ? at SS and 2b. Guzman and Dunn likely won't be here in a couple of years, you're right, so the Nats need a SS, 2B, and 1B. And then a few vets to fill out the starting rotation along with Lannan for the next couple of years and get some arms for the bullpen. I too think that in 3-4 years, this team should be VERY good.

Archived