Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Scouts Inc.: Top 200 athletes - Redskins

GhostofSparta

Per bubba in Breaking news. Didn't see it posted yet, if so my sincere apologies.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting

Click link for entire article

#9 Albert Haynesworth #92 DT

2009 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 93

Comment: Haynesworth is a massive defensive tackle who has the ability to dominate at the line of scrimmage. He has unusual quickness and agility for someone with his size and can force offenses to game plan around him. He is powerful and can use his hands to control and shed blockers with ease. He shows a good short burst to make the play. He has a tendency to play a bit erect at times, but manages to get away with it, for the most part, thanks to his natural strength. He does a good job of recognizing blocking schemes and will fight through pressure to work his way to the ball. He can rush the pocket from the inside and will even line up at defensive end to rush off the edge. He has struggled to get through a full season and has played in all 16 games only one time in his career.

#94 Chris Cooley #47 TE

Grade: 81

Comment: Cooley has been one of the more productive tight ends in the league over the past four seasons. He has excellent quickness and agility as a route-runner with speed to stretch down the seam. He has great hands to adjust and make the tough catch away from his body. He shows excellent concentration and courage in traffic. He has good run-after-catch ability downfield and is a tough matchup for most linebackers. His lack of size hinders his ability to be an effective run-blocker. He lacks power at the point to set the edge. Cooley is a smart, competitive and athletic tight end who should continue to be productive in the coming years.

# 119 Clinton Portis #26 RB

Grade: 80

Comment: Portis continues to be one of the most productive running backs in the league, averaging 4.5 yards per attempt during his seven-year career. He has gained weight and strength since first coming into the league in 2002 to add to his excellent athleticism. He has improved his inside presence as a runner but is best on the edges and perimeter. He has good quickness and burst to and through the holes as well as lateral agility and balance to make effective cuts. Portis has great vision inline as a downhill runner but can bounce the ball to the outside with burst t stretch defenses. He is a willing an effective pass protector with toughness and deceptive strength verse linebackers. Portis is an excellent football player who has had some durability problems but has been somewhat healthy his past two seasons.

#139 Chris Samuels #60 OT

Grade: 79

Comment: Samuels missed four games in 2008 but had been one of the most durable offensive linemen in the league prior to his injury during his impressive nine-year career. He is an excellent combination of size, strength and athleticism who has been a mainstay for the Redskins on the left side of their line. Samuels utilizes great initial quickness, balance and technique along with good functional power to be an effective run blocker at the point of attack. He has strong active hands to maintain proper body position while gaining leverage with good angles on combination blocks. He can slide and mirror well as a pass protector but can be is inconsistent to anchor effectively verse powerful bull rushers. He is effective in space and on the second level to hit his target. Samuels continues to be one of the more effective left tackles in the league but appears to be showing signs if diminishing skills.

#165 London Fletcher #59 LB

Grade: 78

Comment: Fletcher had an excellent 2008 season in the middle of the Washington defense. He continues to be one of the most productive linebackers in the league with great instincts, toughness and technique. He is excellent at attacking the line of scrimmage and maintaining leverage with great fits to the front four. Fletcher has active hands to separate and shed blockers which enable him to get to the ball. He has natural instincts and angles to keep him active to the pile. He is a solid open field tackler with pop and power on contact. He is a good pass defender reading route progressions quickly. He does a nice job in combination man and zone coverage's but lacks great speed to cover deep. Fletcher is going into his 12th season in the league and his durability and production has made him one of the most valuable players on the defense..

#166 LaRon Landry #30 S

Grade: 78

Comment: Landry had another impressive season for the Redskins in 2008 with excellent support and becoming more active as a pass defender. He is an excellent combination of size, strength and athleticism. He is a powerful tackler filling the alley in run support. He has great quickness, agility and burst to close off the hash as well as good speed and range in pursuit. He is instinctive player who takes good angles and maintain proper leverage from the safety position. He reacts well against the pass and has made marked improvement in his route progression reads. Landry is a very good football player who has the tools to develop into a premier NFL safety.

We only got 4 in the top 200. Show ESPN does not think we have great players

6-7 would be the average if distributed equally among the teams.

Uh isnt there 6 mentioned in the op?

1. Haynesworth

2. Cooley

3. Portis

4. Samuels

5. Fletcher

6. Landry

Yeah, it would appear so. So I guess we have our 6-7 average, huh?

don't take too much stock in it

they rank:

#1 DeMarcus Ware (ahead of Manning, Brady, Haynesworth ? :no: )

#49 Leonard Davis (:rotflmao: )

#50 Jason Witten

#74 Marion Barber (:rotflmao: )

#75 Terence Newman (too high)

#81 Heath Miller (ahead of Cooley?)

#96 Maurice Jones-Drew (35 spots ahead of CP?)

#103 Mike Vrabel (maybe 5 years ago)

#112 Donovan McNabb :wtf:

#113 Kurt Warner :wtf: 2

#120 Joe Flacco (ahead of Rivers?)

#125 Tony Romo sits to pee (again, ahead of Rivers?)

#132 Chris Snee (and Davis is #49??! :thud: )

#151 Andre Gurode :doh:

#162 Antonio Bryant (ahead of Santana? :slap: )

#170 Felix Jones (:hysterical: 30 freaking carries?)

#178 Chris Canty :no:

#187 Philip Rivers (way too low)

#197 Tony Ugoh (uh he's now a 2nd stinger)

guess which team had the most players in their top 200?

yep the Pokes :hysterical:

How is a RB not as good of an athlete as a DT? Now Haynesworth is a freak, but I'd bet any amount of money that Portis, Moss, whoever is more athletic than Haynesworth. When I think of athletes, I don't think of 300lb defensive linemen. This list seems kinda lame. To me Witten and Cooley are pretty much the same. So how is Witten 44 spots higher than Cooley. Hell, how is Cooley higher than Portis? Just doesn't make sense.

How is a RB not as good of an athlete as a DT? Now Haynesworth is a freak, but I'd bet any amount of money that Portis, Moss, whoever is more athletic than Haynesworth. When I think of athletes, I don't think of 300lb defensive linemen. This list seems kinda lame. To me Witten and Cooley are pretty much the same. So how is Witten 44 spots higher than Cooley. Hell, how is Cooley higher than Portis? Just doesn't make sense.

NFL D-lineman are some of the worlds best athletes especially for their size.

We only got 4 in the top 200. Show ESPN does not think we have great players

6-7 would be the average if distributed equally among the teams.

You forgot to weigh it with the Cowboy factor. There is a 12 cowboy quota for any top 200 list. Everybody know this.

Like bubba said, this list is silly for the most part.

As for our players... I'm sorry, but Portis is a better athlete than Cooley. I mean, I love Cooley, but come on! His athleticism is not what makes him great, it's his meticulous route running, his durability, and most of all, his heart that does. He just plays hard all the time. Still, it's good to see 6 of our guys there. Santana Moss is a snub for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Scouts Inc. was pretty imflammatory in their rankings this year. Their evaluation of QBs is pretty crap. First, I just don't see any way to claim that Roethlisberger is a better QB than Drew Brees. Second, Matt Cassel as the sixth best QB in the league? And Joe Flacco is ranked ahead of Romo sits to pee, Ryan, and Rivers.

And you guessed it, Jason Campbell is ranked just ahead of Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers. I'm as big a supporter of Campbell as the next guy around here but I don't think he's done enough yet in his career to justify being ranked ahead of those two. Maybe I could make an argument for him being on par with them, and none of them have done a lot at this point in their careers to give a substantial evaluation, but both Cutler and Rodgers were better prospects coming out of college than Campbell was so that hasn't really changed.

Given how highly Campbell, Flacco, and Roethlisberger rank, I think Scouts Inc. is following a pretty cut and dry prototype for what makes a good QB: 6'5"/Strong Arm/Mobile.

All in all I think it's a pretty strange set of rankings.

haha that was my first thought, too... CP is just an athlete.... look at what the guy does to the DL and LBs in pass pro

Archived