Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Annual "Where Do I Watch Games Thread"

NewCliche21

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the final map for the 2017 season.

Pretty much just parts of the mid-Atlantic and Northeast will get this game today (a little of Eastern Florida too, for some reason):

http://506sports.com/

FOX EARLY

17-FOX-E-V3.png
Anchorage AK  |   Fairbanks AK
Honolulu HI

Chicago @ Minnesota Kevin Burkhardt, Charles Davis
Dallas @ Philadelphia Kenny Albert, Ronde Barber
Washington @ NY Giants Sam Rosen, Matt Millen
Green Bay @ Detroit Dick Stockton, Mark Schlereth

UPDATES:

• Memphis TN; all Louisiana; Baltimore MD; Orlando and Gainesville FL; Louisville KY; Jackson MS; Fresno CA: CHI-MIN to DAL-PHI
  • Roanoke VA: CHI-MIN to WSH-NYG
Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

So I "unplugged" (sort of) this year.  I got DirecTV Now - which is a streaming service app that saves you a ton of money on equipment rental, etc.  So far I dig it.  I've had it for a couple of weeks and it's been pretty cool.

My question is has anyone had this before during a football season and will it black out Redskins games if I am local?

Most of the research that I have done on their website has been pretty ambiguous at best.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

So I "unplugged" (sort of) this year.  I got DirecTV Now - which is a streaming service app that saves you a ton of money on equipment rental, etc.  So far I dig it.  I've had it for a couple of weeks and it's been pretty cool.

My question is has anyone had this before during a football season and will it black out Redskins games if I am local?

Most of the research that I have done on their website has been pretty ambiguous at best.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm down in Florida and have used the Sunday Ticket online for 8 years now and the only blackouts are for home teams that don't sell out.  If you don't have the Ticket I don't think the rules would be any different for online service than it would be if you had a regular set-top service.

You'll get to see your local team and whatever national broadcasts are being shown.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm down in Florida and have used the Sunday Ticket online for 8 years now and the only blackouts are for home teams that don't sell out.  If you don't have the Ticket I don't think the rules would be any different for online service than it would be if you had a regular set-top service.

You'll get to see your local team and whatever national broadcasts are being shown.

I thought the NFL dumped the blackout rule, or at least they lowered the threashold?

I didn't have the Sunday ticket last year and none of the games on local tv blacked out (I had regular DirecTV back then... DVR box and satellite dish, etc).  I get both the Richmond and DC stations because of where I live in NoVA, so I'm just curious if folks who have had this particular service experienced any blackouts because of the fact that it's an app.

Edited by DC9

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

I thought the NFL dumped the blackout rule, or at least they lowered the threashold?

I didn't have the Sunday ticket last year and none of the games on local tv blacked out (I had regular DirecTV back then... DVR box and satellite dish, etc).  I get both the Richmond and DC stations because of where I live in NoVA, so I'm just curious if folks who have had this particular service experienced any blackouts because of the fact that it's an app.

Your local so I wouldn't worry about blackouts, the blackouts for the Bucs games were due to poor ticket sales and I don't see the Redskins using that rule if it's even a rule anymore.

You should be fine just call Direct TV and they can tell you if you're subject to blackouts for specific games.

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Your local so I wouldn't worry about blackouts, the blackouts for the Bucs games were due to poor ticket sales and I don't see the Redskins using that rule if it's even a rule anymore.

You should be fine just call Direct TV and they can tell you if you're subject to blackouts for specific games.

Ah, okay - well I can see why they were non-commital either way, then.  Probably weren't familiar with the market areas or what each individual team would do.

I did speak with them as I was signing up for the package and they weren't inclined to tell me either way.  I did some pretty extensive research on it and I'm pretty happy with the service.  So I guess we'll wait and see.

Thanks, JS.

Edited by DC9
  • Thanks 1

I have an absurdly specific question.

I'm going to be ON an airplane travelling from Boston to Sacramento.  Since were gonna be playing the Patriots, is that considered a local game?

What are my chances Jetblue will be showing the game on their in flight screens? They always have FOX, NBC, CBS and NFL Network available but I've looked online and can't find a Network linked to this game anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

I'm going to be ON an airplane travelling from Boston to Sacramento.  Since were gonna be playing the Patriots, is that considered a local game?

What are my chances Jetblue will be showing the game on their in flight screens? They always have FOX, NBC, CBS and NFL Network available but I've looked online and can't find a Network linked to this game anywhere.

I think the Redskins/Patriots game is being shown only locally in in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast markets.

The game with the Jets, I believe, will be shown nationally on ESPN.

20 hours ago, DC9 said:

Ah, okay - well I can see why they were non-commital either way, then.  Probably weren't familiar with the market areas or what each individual team would do.

I did speak with them as I was signing up for the package and they weren't inclined to tell me either way.  I did some pretty extensive research on it and I'm pretty happy with the service.  So I guess we'll wait and see.

Thanks, JS.

I’m not sure about direct tv now. Do you get local stations using that app? Normal Sunday ticket blacks out the Sunday ticket Chanel if the game is being shown on your local station. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reaper Skins said:

These days you can log into each network's website using your cable providers log in credentials and it should pull your location by your billing address so in theory, you should be fine.

Like when I log into NBC it blocks me from Redskins postgame because my account is in Florida, I doubt they go by IP address because that's too easy to circumvent.

You can do what I do which is get the preseason package from NFL.com and then cancel before the 7 days are up, I just re-register using a new email address (not even a new card) and I get another free 7 days, rinse and repeat until the preseason is over.

I've done this every preseason for about 4 or 5 years now.

Edited by JSSkinz

5 hours ago, EasternNCbywayofNOVA said:

I’m not sure about direct tv now. Do you get local stations using that app? Normal Sunday ticket blacks out the Sunday ticket Chanel if the game is being shown on your local station. 

I get both DC and Richmond Fox, CBS, ABC, and NBC. 

I think that's something new that they've done.  One of my boys had it last year and he said he had to get an HD antenna to get local channels.  When I signed up just messing around I saw that I had both Richmond and DC stations cause I'm in the Fredericksburg area.

On 8/9/2009 at 11:07 PM, titus3 said:

I think NFL.com's Game Rewind package is the way to go if you don't mind watching games on a delayed basis. The games are shown on demand and are commercial free. You can also pause, rewind, and fast-forward just like TIVO. Their current package includes all of last year's regular season games and all of this year's for $39.99.

How long is the delay?  If it's a few hours I'd go that route, if it's the next day no way.  I live locally now but will be moving to TN soon, I can't even imagine having trouble getting a stream after kick off or having to screw with it during the game.

21 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

How long is the delay?  If it's a few hours I'd go that route, if it's the next day no way.  I live locally now but will be moving to TN soon, I can't even imagine having trouble getting a stream after kick off or having to screw with it during the game.

I don't think "Game Rewind" is a thing anymore...it's all Game Pass now (outside of Sunday Ticket, which is live). From their website:

When will regular season and Postseason games be made available on NFL Game Pass? 

• Broadcast versions of Sunday morning and afternoon games (9:30am ET, 1pm ET & 4pm ET) are available by 8pm ET on Sunday.
  • Broadcast versions of Sunday Night, Monday Night, Thursday Night and Saturday NFL games are available soon after the conclusion of the applicable game telecast.
  • If you are accessing NFL Game Pass through a free trial, Thursday night games will not be available until 72 hours after the telecast. 

On 8/1/2018 at 1:09 PM, DC9 said:

Thanks, JS.

I get Sunday Ticket through my XBox and although I live in Chicago, I can assure you that if a game is on local TV or national TV, it will be blacked out on Sunday Ticket. One workaround you can use is a VPN. You can get a VPN service pretty cheap ($5-10 a month or so?) which allows you to log into a web service (in this case, Sunday Ticket) from another part of the world using a proxy. I use Hide My Ass. It's a little more expensive, but it allows me to pick a specific city to log in from. I choose a large metro area that would fall outside the blackout area...like New York. Sunday Ticket thinks I'm in NY and therefore DC games are not blacked out. National games are always blacked out although you might be able to get them from Canada or Europe through a VPN. TunnelBear is a cheaper VPN solution, but I don't know how many US proxies it has...you might have to use a Canada proxy to hit it. Generally speaking, the farther away the proxy is from you, the lower the quality of the stream will be.

Ultimately your mileage may vary.

spark