Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com: Joe Banner: Eagles have best roster in the league.

Big Blue Joe

"I feel this year we have the best roster in the league," Banner said. "That's assuming everyone is healthy and standing at the end. You can only make a statement like that on the first day of training camp. After that, anything can happen."

Football is a capricious game. Its most important players can disappear on any play, and its most important moments are not decided best-of-seven. The careful plans and preparations can be blown apart in an instant. But you already knew that.

Banner also said he thought the Eagles had the NFL's best roster in 2003 and 2004 and even last season - "as crazy as it sounds given the way the regular season went" - he said he thought the roster ranked among the top three in the league.

"You get humbled over the years, but since I've been working in the league I don't think the best team has won the Super Bowl any year," Banner said. "You get a ball bouncing the wrong way, a bad call from the ref, a windy day when you plan to throw a lot. You lose once. Even if you get to the playoffs, and it's a year where most people would say you did really good, you don't feel satisfied. There are just too many things out of your control."

More at the link

I dont think they even have the most talent in the division.. Right now I might give it to the Giants. I do think unless they get some really bad breaks the Eagles are going to have a very tough football team this year, but best in the league? Big stretch.

You seem to hear this about the Eagles every year. Then week 8 rolls around and they're calling for McNabb and Ried's head. Then they finish with a few wins and a record of 9-7, 9-6-1 or 8-8 and spend the whole offseason believing they'll be the team to beat.

same for another NFC EAST team that keeps forgetting you can't get to the Super Bowl without winning a playoff game

He sounds a bit like McNabb.

McNabb: "I feel like the better team lost today."

Banner: "I don't think the best team has won the Super Bowl any year."

:chair:

Oh well, he's just making the Eagles bigger targets.

This was my thought as well.

I always wondered why the Eagles never got on McNabb for some of his ignorant post-game comments like "the better team lost today".

As if the other team didn't even deserve to be on the same field with him and his team (despite the fact that the other team won :) ).

Now I see why the didn't criticize him. It's b/c they think just like him. :)

Which is sad. Confidence is one thing, but dismissive arrogance is something else.

"I feel this year we have the best roster in the league," Banner said. "That's assuming everyone is healthy and standing at the end. You can only make a statement like that on the first day of training camp. After that, anything can happen."

I don't see what's so bad about this statement? Best roster doesn't equal best team, and as he said, best team is not always the one that wins the SB, although I would disagree and say best team has won a few times in the past 10 years. And, like one poster put it, he was the general contractor for the deck-build.

But, for those that love McNabb, he had this to say:

"We have a lot of new faces, and for me to sit here and say, 'Hey, we're a Super Bowl team' and 'We're going to win the Super Bowl,' I don't believe in all that," he said. "I think that's something that at the end of the year we'll find out who wins and who doesn't. I think we have a great team. We have some great athletes here, but we have to put the pieces of the puzzle together. And if we can do that, hopefully we can ride on and take it and be able to finish this thing off in Miami."

Archived