Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFL Sources say Vick to receive 4 game suspension

Stugein

LINK

-----

League sources told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio and Chris Mortensen on Thursday that sometime next week Goodell is expected to announce a conditional reinstatement of Vick, which would allow Vick to go to training camp if he signed with a team but that could also include a four-game suspension.

-----

So if true he could sign with a team, go to training camp, but would need to sit until week 5.

Forget that I think he is an embarrassment to the League and bad for the brand; I feel bad for Vick, personally. This isn't what he needs. He's still listening to agents and lawyers and promoters in his ear. It's going to sound cheesy, but for the sake of his well-being he needed to be cut loose. He will offend again. This won't end well. He simply can't handle the lifestyle. People like that, habitual offenders, need to be allowed to hit bottom and pick themselves up if there is going to be a chance for redemption. He learns nothing by people supporting him or handing him contracts or book deals every time he screws up. He isn't emotionally equipped to handle the lifestyle that comes with being an NFL player.

I pray that I'm wrong and that he's really really turned his life around..I really do hope that. But I don't think I am. I've seen this pattern of behavior before..I'm sure others here have as well. It will not end well.

LINK

Forget that I think he is an embarrassment to the League and bad for the brand; I feel bad for Vick, personally. This isn't what he needs. He's still listening to agents and lawyers and promoters in his ear. It's going to sound cheesy, but for the sake of his well-being he needed to be cut loose. He will offend again. This won't end well. He simply can't handle the lifestyle. People like that, habitual offenders, need to be allowed to hit bottom and pick

He can't handle the lifestyle?

The NFL lifestyle had nothing to do with what Vick did.

In fact, I've heard that dogfighting is pretty common where Vick grew up.

This was just part of the culture in which he grew up.

And as for your statement that "Vick needs to be allowed to hit rock bottom"...

You don't think that losing a $100 million dollar contract and basically being broke is "hitting rock bottom?"

He can't handle the lifestyle?

The NFL lifestyle had nothing to do with what Vick did.

In fact, I've heard that dogfighting is pretty common where Vick grew up.

This was just part of the culture in which he grew up.

And as for your statement that "Vick needs to be allowed to hit rock bottom"...

You don't think that losing a $100 million dollar contract and basically being broke is "hitting rock bottom?"

He can't handle the lifestyle. As in he can't handle being the guy with money. The guy with fame. The guy that needs to maintain a certain baller image for all the hangers-on and "friends" from the old neighborhood. The guy who can't tell the parasites "no". No, he can't handle the lifestyle. No, the fame and fortune didn't make him fight dogs or make him fund a gambling ring or make him let his pals use his truck for drug dealing or make him flip off the fans...it didn't make him do any of it. What it did do is shed light on the undeniable fact that he couldn't handle any of it. Some people just aren't emotionally equipped to handle the pressures and the baggage associated with that kind of lifestyle. Michael Vick is one of them.

Bottom is being cut off by real friends and family. Bottom is having to fend for yourself or end up in a gutter. Losing money, even a lot of money, is not hitting bottom if people continue to support you and shelter you every time you make a mistake. Being forced to take a two year sabbatical after which you are handed league entrance, contracts (assuming someone signs him), book deals, etc...that's not bottom. Thats called enabling.

Edit - Again, I really truly hope I'm wrong and that he's turned his life around and can leave all those old "pals" behind. But I fear that I'm not..this won't end well.

wow! people need to get a grip. i am saying it was just dogs omg they making a big deal out of it and gave him over 2 years for it, and we as Americans support humans fighting in a cage please get real since when do people value dogs life over humans, this world we live in needs to be ashamed

wow! people need to get a grip. i am saying it was just dogs omg they making a big deal out of it and gave him over 2 years for it, and we as Americans support humans fighting in a cage please get real since when do people value dogs life over humans, this world we live in needs to be ashamed

You do realize that the bulk of his sentence was not for the dog fighting specifically, but rather federal charges for funding an illegal interstate gambling operation, right?

I'm hoping he can turn it around. I'm not a Vick fanboy but I do think almost everyone deserves a second chance.

We should all be able to agree with that. What he did was evil, vile, and heinous. And as such, he paid the price. Now he's clean.

You do realize that the bulk of his sentence was not for the dog fighting specifically, but rather federal charges for funding an illegal interstate gambling operation, right?

Yeah...the federal gov't, like any crime organization, gets most pissed off when they don't get their cut. Seriously, who gives a flying **** if he ran a gambling outfit? The dog fighting was immoral, but not worthy of prison time. I can't stand Vick, but I'm so so so sick of demonizing the man for far less than Ray Lewis walked for.

Yeah...the federal gov't, like any crime organization, gets most pissed off when they don't get their cut. Seriously, who gives a flying **** if he ran a gambling outfit? The dog fighting was immoral, but not worthy of prison time. I can't stand Vick, but I'm so so so sick of demonizing the man for far less than Ray Lewis walked for.

I wasn't making a statement on whether I believed the punishment was fair or not. I was just pointing out what he was actually sentenced for, to the fella before that was all "omg 2 years for just the dogs".

I am surprised if this is true. Given Goodell's track record I was thinking 1, maybe even 2 years.

I think Vick has paid his debt to society now and it's time to move forward. 4 Game suspension and double secret probation, I think that's fair.

In all honesty, I do not think Vick should be suspended. Maybe I am crazy. My reasoning is as follows...

The guy served two years in prison for what he did, correct? He has been out of the league for two years. He may as well have been "suspended" for the length of time he was in prison. Yes, what he did was absolutely wrong and cruel. Vick has done his time to the public and now it is time for him to return to his role in the NFL and become a real role model and a classy athlete. To suspend him further is like kicking him while he is down imo. I will reiterate...I think what he did was wrong, but he has served his punishment to society and he deserves to be back in the NFL starting from scratch.

Just my opinion though. Flame on.

In all honesty, I do not think Vick should be suspended. Maybe I am crazy. My reasoning is as follows...

The guy served two years in prison for what he did, correct? He has been out of the league for two years. He may as well have been "suspended" for the length of time he was in prison. Yes, what he did was absolutely wrong and cruel. Vick has done his time to the public and now it is time for him to return to his role in the NFL and become a real role model and a classy athlete. To suspend him further is like kicking him while he is down imo. I will reiterate...I think what he did was wrong, but he has served his punishment to society and he deserves to be back in the NFL starting from scratch.

Just my opinion though. Flame on.

No flaming. :D Just curious; Why does a person deserve to be handed back a high paying job just because they finished a prison sentence? He's done nothing more than what the courts have required of him. Whether he plays again or not is no skin off my nose, but I just don't get the line of thinking..why do people think he is somehow entitled to get his job back just because he is out of jail? He paid his debt to society, but that doesn't mean that people somehow owe him something or they should hand him back everything he had. I bet every convicted felon would appreciated the outpouring of support that Vick seems to be getting.

No flaming. :D Just curious; Why does a person deserve to be handed back a high paying job just because they finished a prison sentence? He's done nothing more than what the courts have required of him. Whether he plays again or not is no skin off my nose, but I just don't get the line of thinking..why do people think he is somehow entitled to get his job back just because he is out of jail? He paid his debt to society, but that doesn't mean that people somehow owe him something or they should hand him back everything he had. I bet every convicted felon would appreciated the outpouring of support that Vick seems to be getting.

I don't really think he is entitled to get his job back. In all honesty, I am shocked that he wasn't completely let go out of the NFL. I completely agree that he is not entitled anything. However, I feel that since he has been out of the league for two years, that may as well have acted as his suspension. But if the NFL wants to hand him more time to sit out, that is their decision. I just feel like since he now has the opportunity to get himself back on his feet and prove he is not the monster people think he is he should be afforded the opportunity to start completely fresh.

I guess my biggest issue with the situation is that he has been out of the league for two years and the league wants to slap 4 games on top of that. Who knows though...no one may want him on their team and he may never be in the NFL again.

You know, I never thought I'd say this. But Lavar Arrington made a good point on the show a couple days ago about this situation. It was something to the effect of when you get out of jail, you have the ability to go get a job. Does the employer have to hire you? No. But you do get there's no law that says, "You can't go back to working at McDonald's." However, McDonald's doesn't have to re-hire you though. Meaning, teams don't have to sign him, so the decision is on them.

I thought he'd get a 1 year suspension. But at this point, the guy did the time, if the system felt he did what he needed, then I think we should all just give it up.

Run-on sentence much? He's lucky to have gotten off with a piddly two years. Not only was he fighting dogs and abusing dogs, he provided the facilities to fight the dogs and bank-rolled an illegal gambling operation (huge no-no). I think he ended up with the right amount of punishment; but according to the letter of the law, he could have been in the clink way past the age at which he could still play football professionally. And humans who fight in a cage do so by choice and have the intellectual capacity to make that choice for themselves. Ever throw a stick for a dog? They ain't hard to trick.

Playing in the NFL making millions of dollars is a privilege not a right. I don't think he should be allowed back in the NFL.

Those of us with good jobs would loose them if any of us ever get convicted for a felony, would we not? Why then should the NFL whose players good or bad serve as role models to youth turn a blind eye to hiring convicted criminals?

Playing in the NFL making millions of dollars is a privilege not a right. I don't think he should be allowed back in the NFL.

Those of us with good jobs would loose them if any of us ever get convicted for a felony, would we not? Why then should the NFL whose players good or bad serve as role models to youth turn a blind eye to hiring convicted criminals?

True, you'd lose your job, but you wouldn't lose your ability to attempt to get a job. Vick being reinstated in the NFL is pretty much them giving him the ability to get a job in that profession, however it's not guaranteed that one of the 32 employers will hire him.

This is ridiculous. Vick served his term and has already paid the price, suspending him puts him at an even bigger disadvantage trying to get his career back. He lost a 100 million dollar contract and served quite a bit of jail time, how is that not punishment enough?

I really dont like Goodell.

Archived