Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reality Check For The New Season

Gregpeck99

Invest in Verizon or AT&T  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Invest in Verizon or AT&T

Many of you have your head up your arse about the new season expecting all sorts of wonderful things to happen like Campbell suddenly getting it; Mike Williams making all of us forget Jon Jansen; Zorn regaining control of his team, and so on. Forget it.

The Skins are in for a rough time this year. Here are 5 reasons why:

(1) Offense sucks. There has been little or no off-season improvement, the QB is suspect, and the OL still is unsettled. Too much reliance on Portis, a "dink and dunk" passing attack, and unimaginative and conservative play-calling spell less than 20 points/gm once again.

(2) There is no team chemistry and no leadership on the field. Campbell's unassertive demeanor combined with Portis' petulant moodiness brings the offense down. On defense, while Fletcher tries hard, primma donnas like Haynesworth and Landry tend to play their own game rather than adapt to a team concept. Coach Zorn does not seem to have the steel to forge a "team identity" of any intensity and the sideline during a game frequently reminds one of a "wake."

(3) The other teams in the NFC East are all improved and can score points. While the Skins may "steal" one or two "wins" like last year, they do not have the ability to "dominate" in their own Division.

(4) The Skins are forever rebuilding. Last year's second half regression tells the story of a team lacking depth, talent at key skill positions, and a will to win. Until they overcome these deficiencies they will remain a "bottom feeder."

(5) The uniforms suck and are badly in need of a bolder, more aggressive and modern "new look". At the very least, the arguably "controversial" helmet logo should be changed.

At this time of the year, when all teams are even, its easy to be optimistic. But in the case of our beloved Burgundy and Gold, I see little reason things will be any different in 2009. Tell me I'm wrong and why?

(1) Offense sucks. (2) There is no team chemistry and no leadership on the field. primma donnas like Haynesworth and Landry (3) The other teams in the NFC East are all improved (4) The Skins are forever rebuilding. (5) The uniforms suck

1. Could be true but shouldn't be. We needed consistent play last year and that should come with some much needed continuity.

2. We are loaded with veteran leaders on O and D. I don't know what you mean by primma donnas but It must mean: best in the league at their positions.

3. False

4. We really haven't had a rebuilding year, just spending sprees trying to add the last pieces. I think we may need a rebuilding year or two to actually win the superbowl because the O-line needs depth for playoff runs. If we can have an offseason next year for the O-line like we did for the d-line we will be set and no rebuilding need.

5. that's your opinion but to me we have the best Uni in the league.

Good post and points but I think they are arguable

The offense is still a huge concern of mine, but I'm very optimistic about Kelly and Thomas. When it comes to JC, I believe all that has happened this offseason will really give him a "let it fly" attitude. I'm not saying he'll be reckless, but I think he'll be more prone to take a few more chances and leave it all on the field.

Dude why would you say the uniforms stink? I love the uniforms and the Helmet. I don't want that to EVER change

Oh yeah, I agree on the uniforms with Soup. I love them. It'd be nice to see those 75th anniversary ones come out though.....those were SWEEEET.

Saying our helmet is offensive seems wrong. I don't see the symbol as offensive, maybe some do. The look of a proud warrior doesn't invoke the images of racism though. I can understand the name issue, but not the emblem itself.

The rest of your stuff may or may not happen. It all comes down to consistency and if we can get production from some of the young folk.

I'm glad someone finally made a thread complaining about everything about the team. There's not enough threads of whiners making dumb statements they can't back up. Thank you for finally pointing these things out, and thoroughly backing up these wise observations. No really, thank you.

:doh:

Lets say you are right and we will struggle and suck this year.

That means the offseason will be our only time to be happy and positive. Why would you want to crush that?

Its kinda like telling ur child theres no Santa Claus just because you get some sick satisfaction.

As for the uniforms, I like them... U are the :evilg:

Were you the one that graded Vinny's offseason an F? And if not what did you grade it?

Its like trying to sort through garbage, there is no beginning and no end. I'll try:

Many of you have your head up your arse about the new season expecting all sorts of wonderful things to happen like Campbell suddenly getting it

So are we all suppose to assume he will fail and not be excited about the possibility of his second year in an offense as the full time starter. Oh wait, maybe we should all be self-proclaimed presidents of the Colt 45 fan club

Mike Williams making all of us forget Jon Jansen

I don't think I have read anyone assume that Mike Williams will be a dominant force. However, many, such as myself, are excited about the possibility of him being able to play at the level he was expected when originally drafted. Why not pull for a guy like Williams who has a low risk high reward potential? I guess we all should carry a dark cloud...

Zorn regaining control of his team, and so on.

So you know that Zorn has lost the team all together? Obviously there has been some riffs. It maybe be a cliche but winning mends all wounds. As FANS we need to have some sort of hope and expectations that the team can move on from any differences and work towards the same goal of winning as many games as possible.

(1) Offense sucks. There has been little or no off-season improvement, the QB is suspect, and the OL still is unsettled. Too much reliance on Portis, a "dink and dunk" passing attack, and unimaginative and conservative play-calling spell less than 20 points/gm once again.

The offense did suck last year. NO ONE HAS DENIED THAT!!! That is why people have been fuming over not drafting linemen or even a running back. So you don't expect the staff to make adjustments and improvements to last years offense? If not, then why?

(2) There is no team chemistry and no leadership on the field. Campbell's unassertive demeanor combined with Portis' petulant moodiness brings the offense down.

Now your are talkign out of your arse. Just because you don't like JC's demeanor, doesn't mean players don't respond to his type of leadership. You aren't on the field. And Portis' moodiness? Please. That hasn't hindered his on field abilities and play. You seriously can't pinpoint any of that affecting the offense.

You are starting to really just not make any sense now...

On defense, while Fletcher tries hard, primma donnas like Haynesworth and Landry tend to play their own game rather than adapt to a team concept.

:wtf:

Ahhh, and so it continues. Hayensworth hasn't played a single down for the 'Skins and you are ready to label him. Landry has never been criticized by the staff for being out of position or not playing his assignment.

Coach Zorn does not seem to have the steel to forge a "team identity" of any intensity and the sideline during a game frequently reminds one of a "wake."

This we can agree. But then again, different coaches have different coaching styles. Look at Marty vs. Dungy...

(3) The other teams in the NFC East are all improved and can score points. While the Skins may "steal" one or two "wins" like last year, they do not have the ability to "dominate" in their own Division.

How have the Giants and Cowboys improved their offense? Oh wait, they haven't...

(4) The Skins are forever rebuilding. Last year's second half regression tells the story of a team lacking depth, talent at key skill positions, and a will to win. Until they overcome these deficiencies they will remain a "bottom feeder."

I smell troll...

Obviously they lack some depth. Every team has some wholes. Perhaps the 'Skins need some more building than others, but that is neither here nor there.

(5) The uniforms suck and are badly in need of a bolder, more aggressive and modern "new look". At the very least, the arguably "controversial" helmet logo should be changed.

:wtf:

At this time of the year, when all teams are even, its easy to be optimistic. But in the case of our beloved Burgundy and Gold, I see little reason that things will be any different in 2009. Tell me I'm wrong and why?

The difference a year can make is huge. There doesn't have to be a ton of turnover. Take the Cards who went 8-8, then 9-7 to go on to the Suepr Bowl. It only takes a game or two to make the biggest difference. If anything, another year in the same offense with second year receivers that are physically gifted can add at least a game or two and give the 'Skins the opportunity they need to make the post season and perhaps do more.

There may not be a ton of reason to be optimistic, but there are even less reasons to be pessimistic.

I don't see how our uniforms = us having a bad year? I mean if you wanna talk abou the unknowns of a season thats fine but when you say we will lose because our uniforms suck you lose all credability....which is sad bc the rest of your post is a good debate...

How in the Hell can anyone say with conviction that Albert Haynesworth is a "prima donna who'll tend to play his own game rather than adapt to a team concept" when he's not so much as suited up and taken to the field in the B&G as yet?

I mean really. :doh:

I don't agree with the "..... they do not have the ability to "dominate" in their own division" line either. Whether we do is another story, but we sure as heck have the ability to.

As for the uniforms, that's just being pernickety in the extreme to find a negative on this team. Last time I checked, uniforms don't win or lose games. It's the players that wear them that do that trick. ;)

All that said, I don't see the end result in '09 being little different to what it was in '08, but not down to the extreme's you've conjured up.

Hail.

One thing I have expected from ES: before every season there will be a thread about how we will go to the Super Bowl and there will be a thread about how much we will suck. The truth is, its usually in between. And I think most people fall in the in between. Its the extremists that get more responses to their threads though.

basically i am also worried that we did little to address our greatest need which was fixing our offense, while noticably improving our defense and pass rushing abilities. I think we're putting quite a bit of faith on the development of some of our offensive weapons. One of my biggest concerns is our oline, our division is stacked with monster pass rushers and defensive lines, while our oline is dangerously old and might fall apart late in the season again.

Tell me I'm wrong and why?

You are wrong. Why? Because you didn't pay attention in elementary school. The result is you suck down malt liquor by the case and share the bitter disappointment your life has become with the unfortunate people who stumble upon your misguided rantings on this message board.

lol...This post has got to be a joke. You are either a hillbilly or a cowboys fan so I am not going to take your post seriously. Never post something up so damn negative and pointless on ES. You have enough pessimistic people on here as it is and you want to post something like this.

Pessimistic

Negative

Loser Mindstate

^^^^^^^^^

We need less of you type of "fans" in this organization.

I am going to bump this thread back up when we are 13-3 this season as well.

basically i am also worried that we did little to address our greatest need which was fixing our offense, while noticably improving our defense and pass rushing abilities. I think we're putting quite a bit of faith on the development of some of our offensive weapons. One of my biggest concerns is our oline, our division is stacked with monster pass rushers and defensive lines, while our oline is dangerously old and might fall apart late in the season again.

So how should we have improved the offense other than perhaps drafting an OL? QB? So we risk a ton of picks on a rookie QB and mortgage the future when we have a QB who has improved every year and is going into the second year as the full time starter in the same offense and have a young promising QB waiting in the wings? Draft a running back? How much could that improve? Draft more receivers?

Yes, we are putting faigh on the development of our offensive weapons. Isn't that how a team is built, through development?

This team wasn't a lineman, QB, rb, or DT away from going to the Super Bowl. Its a combination of things. The team has to be built and grow together over time.

You are wrong. Why? Because you didn't pay attention in elementary school. The result is you suck down malt liquor by the case and share the bitter disappointment your life has become with the unfortunate people who stumble upon your misguided rantings on this message board.

This is a worthy and appropriate response to the OP. It deserves nothing else.

Archived