Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reality Check For The New Season

Gregpeck99

Invest in Verizon or AT&T  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Invest in Verizon or AT&T

I strongly disagree. Zorn chewed Portis out and showed that nobody is more important than the team and he runs things cause he's the coach. All newcomers agree that Fletcher is an outstanding leader on and off the field. Landry has gotten over his old rookie big-shot attitude. Although I do agree that the offensive line is questionable, while healthy, they are one of the top lines in the NFL (shown by our early success in '08). Our defensive line can now get pressure and make the quarterback throw the ball quick. Our defense rarely gave up short passes. It was usually the long balls and intermediate timing routes. So the pressure takes those options away. I think Zorn has what it takes to bring this team together. He has the fire in his eyes and the will to win. But, as shown in the loss to the 49ers, our team needs that desire to win. I think maybe a bit of money would do the trick and we know Snyder has plenty of it. Maybe a bonus for consecutive wins in the second half of the season?

I think our uniforms are the best in the league, leave em alone. As far as our offense stinking, nobody has any proof that your wrong there. All we can do is hope that JC will step up and attack defenses instead of that dink and dump garbage. Most likely our defense will take another step up, get more turn-overs and that should help our offense even more with good field possession.

If JC and this offense steps up, this team can win the division. If this offense hasn't changed anything from last season, we are in for a long season. Not only will we see if JC is the future of this team, but we will also see if Jim Zorn belongs coaching in this league. A good coach would see and fix these problems in the offseason, after all this is a playoff team that Jim Zorn was given.

Mustang ... you are already realistic ... my Post was not meant for you .... thanks for the read and interest anyhow. Uniforms are subjective. Skins need to break out of the miasmic bog of their past which lately has not been pleasant. A change in the uni would be fun and a cathartic IMO.

This sounds like negativity, rather than reality.

Reality check: Teams will become one dimensional against our defense because they will not be able to run on our front 7. D. Hall will continue to play WR on defense, and we will get a plethora of sacks. Portis will run the ball through bigger holes, because Campbell and the offense will be much improved. The players will have a better understanding of the offense, and will execute to their abilities.

JC is going to get paid about 70M before week 11.

No offense but you make Vinny look like a genius.

No offense taken ... could turn out that way. But realistically, Skins most significant failing is that they "currently" lack a franchise QB. If it turns out to be Colt or Chase next year or even later... I'm happy and "Vinny and me" will be certifiable. Until then its SOPS.

Reality check: Teams will become one dimensional against our defense because they will not be able to run on our front 7. D. Hall will continue to play WR on defense, and we will get a plethora of sacks. Portis will run the ball through bigger holes, because Campbell and the offense will be much improved. The players will have a better understanding of the offense, and will execute to their abilities.

JC is going to get paid about 70M before week 11.

I'm all in ... but realistically? Nowaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Exactly.

I would like to see a REALITY thread that is not doom and gloom but also not sunshine and daisies.

Because lets face it, things are never as bad as they seem, and never as good as they seem. This league is full of surprises. There are no certainties.

Gregpeck99, have you started a thread that you haven't been bashed in?

I see my role as a reality cop ... keeping the the homers and fantasy guys from straying do far over the line. Do me a favor Slinky ... count the times I'm right ... not the times I post.

Exactly.

I would like to see a REALITY thread that is not doom and gloom but also not sunshine and daisies.

Because lets face it, things are never as bad as they seem, and never as good as they seem. This league is full of surprises. There are no certainties.

There are some certainties ... Campbell will not be extended.

Of course GregPeck, you nailed it on the head, which is why so many Redskins fans have their panties in a wad. This is the final year of Daniel Snyder's plan to have some poor soul keep the coaching seat warm until Cowher wants to come back. The only wrench in the plan is the fact that Shanahan is now available.

I believe this year we will once again hover around .500 which would give Snyder an excuse to fire Zorn. Zorn may one day be a good coach, but he won't be given the chance here. Snyder has called the shots for him, most obviously making JC the starter last year, so we don't really know what Zorn can do.

And we won't find out here. After this season, Zorn will be dismissed and we'll have either Cowher or Shanahan at the helm. Snyder will get the big name he wants - I just hope he allows him to coach.

EDIT: I disagree with your uniform comment though. I like them, but would rather we don the old gold pants. I would prefer the FSU style throwback unis, but this one will do.

Hail,

H

I strongly disagree. Zorn chewed Portis out and showed that nobody is more important than the team and he runs things cause he's the coach. All newcomers agree that Fletcher is an outstanding leader on and off the field. Landry has gotten over his old rookie big-shot attitude. Although I do agree that the offensive line is questionable, while healthy, they are one of the top lines in the NFL (shown by our early success in '08). Our defensive line can now get pressure and make the quarterback throw the ball quick. Our defense rarely gave up short passes. It was usually the long balls and intermediate timing routes. So the pressure takes those options away. I think Zorn has what it takes to bring this team together. He has the fire in his eyes and the will to win. But, as shown in the loss to the 49ers, our team needs that desire to win. I think maybe a bit of money would do the trick and we know Snyder has plenty of it. Maybe a bonus for consecutive wins in the second half of the season?

Welcome Neal.Sweeney and thanks for honoring me with your first post. You will love here if you do not take things too personally or seriously. We all want the Skins on top again.

I like some of you have my head up my arse about the new season expecting all sorts of horrible things to happen like Campbell suddenly getting it; Mike Williams making all of us forget Jon Jansen; Zorn regaining control of his team, and so on. Forget it. The Skins are in for a rough time this year. Here are 5 reasons why: (1) Offenses grow. There has been unknown amount of off-season improvement, the QB is on short leash, and the OL still is unknown. Too much reliance on Portis, a "dink and dunk" passing attack, and unimaginative and conservative play-calling spell less than 20 points/gm once again(SO LAST YEAR). (2) There is a team working on chemistry and developing leadership on the field. Campbell's calm demeanor combined with Portis' moodiness drives the offense to imrovement. On defense, while Fletcher tries hard, prime timeers like Haynesworth and Landry tend to play a game that represent a team concept. Coach Zorn does not seem to have to steal the need to forge a "team identity" and benefits from the intensity. The sideline during a game frequently reminded one of a "wake." last year (3) The other teams in the NFC East are all unknown and can score points. While the Skins may "steal" one or two "wins" like last year, they do have the ability to "dominate" in their own Division. (4) The Skins are forever rebuilding, as are all teams. Last year's second half regression tells the story of a team lacking depth, talent at key skill positions, and a will to win. Until they overcome these deficiencies they will remain a "bottom feeder." (5) The uniforms are the best and are badly in need of a winning, more aggressive and modern "new look" team. At the very least, the arguably "controversial" helmet logo should be changed.(Can't even fix that last one.) At this time of the year, when all teams are even, its your duty as a fan to be optimistic. But in the case of our beloved Burgundy and Gold, I see little things will be any different in 2009. Tell me I'm wrong and why?

Your post adjusted for reality and optimism^

Your GreggPeck, I don't know why you root for the Redskins.

The OP makes some points but come on some patience is needed. The Skins installed an entire new offense ( which I am not the biggest fan of the any version of the WCO) last year and were on of the better teams in the league for the first half of the year and still finished a not great but not abysmal 8-8 still in a shot for the playoffs till near the end. Zorn has only had one year of head coaching experience ( I do think he was over his head at times but so are many good coaches Gibbs didn't do so hot in his first year of Gibbs I or Gibbs II.)

The OLine has gotten deeper, are they the best unit in football, no but they have gotten better than last year on paper IMO. IF Williams plays up to the potential he showed coming out of college he is a STEAL if he is just solid depth he still is a good pick up. He should have a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, that is a great motivation for an athlete.

The Skins are not forever rebuilding, the Skins did not think Gibbs would retire like he did and the team has seriously competed or been to the playoffs three out of the last five years, that is solid if they are always rebuilding. Until Haynesworth proves himself to a prima donna on the field and in the locker room for the Skins then I say he is not. Will this team make it to the Super Bowl and win, I don't think so but they are a playoff caliber team and once you get in the playoffs everyone has a chance.

As for the uniforms I love them its not like the Skins are the Lions and have to change uniforms to get a "buzz" for their team.

The OP makes some points but come on some patience is needed.

Good post Braxford, but really, how much patience is needed? We've heard for four years now that we need to be patient with JC. What's that gotten us? Now it's be patient with Zorn? I stated above that I believe Zorn is only keeping the seat warm and has his hands tied, so I don't blame him totally, but if you look around the league these days, head coaches either win or lose right from the get go. There is no 3 or 5 year plan anymore.

I think a lot of people forget that we actually have to play other teams. Our record isn't going to be based on what we have on paper, which isn't very good, btw. There is no way anyone with any amount of sanity can honestly say that the Redskins will be better this year than the Giants, Eagles, and damn Cowboys. The only way we finish higher than the Cowboys will be because they have a lousy coach. But as a team of players, they are better than we are (does anyone still try to argue that JC is better than Romo sits to pee??).

Our best hope is that our defense will be dominant and win us games. But don't get me wrong - I'll be cheering for them to win every game, I just don't see this team moving in the right direction and haven't seen that for a very long time.

Hail,

H

Many of you have your head up your arse about the new season expecting all sorts of wonderful things to happen like Campbell suddenly getting it; Mike Williams making all of us forget Jon Jansen; Zorn regaining control of his team, and so on. Forget it. The Skins are in for a rough time this year. Here are 5 reasons why: (1) Offense sucks. There has been little or no off-season improvement, the QB is suspect, and the OL still is unsettled. Too much reliance on Portis, a "dink and dunk" passing attack, and unimaginative and conservative play-calling spell less than 20 points/gm once again. (2) There is no team chemistry and no leadership on the field. Campbell's unassertive demeanor combined with Portis' petulant moodiness brings the offense down. On defense, while Fletcher tries hard, primma donnas like Haynesworth and Landry tend to play their own game rather than adapt to a team concept. Coach Zorn does not seem to have the steel to forge a "team identity" of any intensity and the sideline during a game frequently reminds one of a "wake." (3) The other teams in the NFC East are all improved and can score points. While the Skins may "steal" one or two "wins" like last year, they do not have the ability to "dominate" in their own Division. (4) The Skins are forever rebuilding. Last year's second half regression tells the story of a team lacking depth, talent at key skill positions, and a will to win. Until they overcome these deficiencies they will remain a "bottom feeder." (5) The uniforms suck and are badly in need of a bolder, more aggressive and modern "new look". At the very least, the arguably "controversial" helmet logo should be changed. At this time of the year, when all teams are even, its easy to be optimistic. But in the case of our beloved Burgundy and Gold, I see little reason that things will be any different in 2009. Tell me I'm wrong and why?

WOWIcan'treadthatpostbecauseithurtsmyeystoomuch.Thatpost=epicfail.

I love Greg's posts. Before you even open the thread, you know what you are getting. What we see here are legitmate concerns that should, somewhere in the back of skins fans minds, flash a bit of panic. What if (insert worst case scenerio)? I mean, I have to laugh at some of the knee jerk responses, just as I laugh at some of the knee jerk responses to claims of undefeated seasons, a steel curtain defense in '09, and Clinton Portis as a HOFer.

In reality, posts that say Campbell will make the pro bowl, or the skins will "definately" go 12-4 are no more ridiculous than what our resident counterweight Greg has done here. It's just that it's harder to get behind the possiblity for bad, than hope for good.

However, rarely does everything either work out or fail, so if nothing else, we can be sure that odds are the dark cloud is wrong about at lease some of his fears.

And put me in the "let's see some more 75th/throwback uni's this year" camp.

Many of you have your head up your arse about the new season expecting all sorts of wonderful things to happen like Campbell suddenly getting it; Mike Williams making all of us forget Jon Jansen; Zorn regaining control of his team, and so on. Forget it. The Skins are in for a rough time this year. Here are 5 reasons why: (1) Offense sucks. There has been little or no off-season improvement, the QB is suspect, and the OL still is unsettled. Too much reliance on Portis, a "dink and dunk" passing attack, and unimaginative and conservative play-calling spell less than 20 points/gm once again. (2) There is no team chemistry and no leadership on the field. Campbell's unassertive demeanor combined with Portis' petulant moodiness brings the offense down. On defense, while Fletcher tries hard, primma donnas like Haynesworth and Landry tend to play their own game rather than adapt to a team concept. Coach Zorn does not seem to have the steel to forge a "team identity" of any intensity and the sideline during a game frequently reminds one of a "wake." (3) The other teams in the NFC East are all improved and can score points. While the Skins may "steal" one or two "wins" like last year, they do not have the ability to "dominate" in their own Division. (4) The Skins are forever rebuilding. Last year's second half regression tells the story of a team lacking depth, talent at key skill positions, and a will to win. Until they overcome these deficiencies they will remain a "bottom feeder." (5) The uniforms suck and are badly in need of a bolder, more aggressive and modern "new look". At the very least, the arguably "controversial" helmet logo should be changed. At this time of the year, when all teams are even, its easy to be optimistic. But in the case of our beloved Burgundy and Gold, I see little reason that things will be any different in 2009. Tell me I'm wrong and why?

Then go root for the girls dude, your life really must suck to have all that negativity being unleashed.

Good post Braxford, but really, how much patience is needed? We've heard for four years now that we need to be patient with JC. What's that gotten us? Now it's be patient with Zorn? I stated above that I believe Zorn is only keeping the seat warm and has his hands tied, so I don't blame him totally, but if you look around the league these days, head coaches either win or lose right from the get go. There is no 3 or 5 year plan anymore.

I think you have to have a 3 year plan for every new coach, or you are cutting the legs out from under him before he starts. Additionally, constant reboots of the team philosophy, coaching style, and even the oft-debated playbook added an extra burden to players who have enough to worry about doing their daily jobs.

However, I do feel that their is some semblence of a plan here, and while I can't say if its the right one, as I am in no position to judge smarter football minds than myself, I hope that they will have the patience to see it through. I was listening to some old NBA exec interviewed yesterday, and he said that the greatest three traits need to run a team are intellegence, leadership, and patience, and all three of these qualities can be developed through maturity.

I am not the one running this team, so I can hope...and my hope is that we finally have some maturity where it matters. And these three traits can be said to be paramount in any postion of influence on a team, be it coach, quarterback, middlelinebacker, etc. And I think our personnel at each of those spots has demonstated that they do have these traits. Let's see them fully realized, and things will trend up.

That being said, I am sure there are plenty of people who see no plan, no strategy, no direction that the franchise is taking. I can see that as well, but also choose to interpret it otherwise. We are playing to our strong suit, and to win today, you have to be able to do one thing better than any other team in the league, and support that by minimizing mistakes and inepitude elsewhere. We are trying to build the best defense in the league, I can clearly see that. I love that. And I think that what we are being told is that things will stabilize on offense with continuity and growth. I think that is a reasonable expectation, but one which made turn out to be a bill of goods by season's end. But that seems to be the plan...best defense in the league, capable offense that minimizes mistakes and inepitude.

Let's see if it works, but I believe it can.

There is no way anyone with any amount of sanity can honestly say that the Redskins will be better this year than the Giants, Eagles, and damn Cowboys. The only way we finish higher than the Cowboys will be because they have a lousy coach.

HailSkinz1, that my friend is a contradiction. If you sig bet yourself you are going to implode.

I think that the Skins finish ahead of one or two of the NFC east teams at 10-6.

Remember injuries happen, teams don't gel or the schedule effects the overall record.

The only thing that scares me about my team this year is the unknown and every team has them. But to come out and state all that could go wrong year after year I might add, is something I just can't understand. Why Bother is one of the tags. I tend to look at what could go right moreso. Heyer and Thomas could be healthy enough to have much improved line play, especially with the addtion of Dockery. Zorn has opened up the playbook, Campbell knows this is it, and he might get yanked if he has a dismal start.

I love this team, the D is worth following alone, win or lose. I think the OP like any other fan needs to put reality into context. The reality is, nobody here knows what is going to happen this year. You can only hope, good or bad, I tend to spend my time hoping for the good. That in itself has carried me through tough times. I will be there when the Redkins rule once again, and I don't say all this to tell you I told you so. I say it becasue I am a fan of the Redskins, I root for them to do well.

Most of you guys have a pestimistic outlook on the skins I think that they will be much better this year if the defense can create short field situations for offense o think withe weapons the offense I think it wil ne a big plus. The one thing that worrys me is LDE I don't know if daniels and wynn has any juice left. I think the offense is going to ne fine I think Williams is going to supplant heyer at RT and he going to make a big difference in the run game. The triplets are going to show off this year I really beleive sleepy Davis is going to have a breakout year. To be totally honest I think the east is wide open. Who here really thinks the eagles are going to be great? I don't, I think they need more skill people at wr yeah they maW have drafted a WR but honestly is he going to make a big contribution his first year probally not. The Giants are gong to be ok but they lost two valuable keys this year Spags and plex. And don't get me started on the cryboys I think they will shock everyone and go 6-10.

By the way, in the Jarmon thread Greg never did answer my question about the Pats, Philly and Bucs also wanting Jarmon yet why he said it was such a reach for the Skins.

He suffers from pretzel logic. Even hating when they are trying to improve.

EDIT: I disagree with your uniform comment though. I like them, but would rather we don the old gold pants. I would prefer the FSU style throwback unis, but this one will do.

Hail,

H

I'm with you H ... Zorn is in a tuff spot ... but he can redeem himself ... the conspiracy theorists (me included) have him going to Snider after the Giants opening game loss and saying its "me or Campbell" ... and Danny gives Coach Z permission to switch to Colt ... who then does brilliantly thereby saving Zorn's neck. All of the retro uniforms are better than the current one with the inane "double feather design." A fresh uniform would help shake the message of the Skins being losers ... even if its a subtle one.

i thought i recognized you :)

Great shot ... but I wish I threw those shorts out.

Guys at this point of the year we Skins fan are always optimistic...I will watch the preseason to see if any progress has been made but I will mainly be looking at the QB and thew o-line progress. Also I am dying to see ARE move permanently into the slot position and one of our Sophomores (ML or Devon) solidify and lock down before the season the #2 WR.

If we can do this before the season, I think we will have a good year not great but we should reach the playoffs.

Archived