Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Romantic Comedies

Thinking Skins

OK, so I figure I may get into trouble with this, but for those of who are secure enough in our masculinity, or for those of us who don't actually have any masculinity (I'll let you decide which group I belong to), I wanted to start a thread on Romantic Comedies.

I used to hate these things, but after my last break-up, I've been watching a lot of these things in my spare time (It beats CNN, MSNBC and FoxNews). Anyway, I wanted to just get some recommendations for ones to look out for.

So I'll start with some of my favorites (WARNING: There are some we may not agree as romantic comedies).

- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

- Definitely, Maybe

- Princess Bride

- Coming to America

- There's Something About Mary

- Hitch

- He's Just Not that Into You

- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

- What Happens in Vegas

- The American President

There are a lot more that I've been watching lately, but I'm more interested in what others are willing to bring to the conversation.

Lets see if people are willing to contribute to this thread.

Princess Bride, Coming to America, and Something about Mary are not romantic comedies- they are comedies that happen to have elements of romance.

Okay, as to the thread topic...

I thought "You've Got Mail" was pretty good

Maybe so :)

My litmus test though is whether or not my wife likes them. She didn't like all three of those movies. (I know, I know)

I don't really like those three either....and I definitely wouldn't call "Coming to America" a romantic comedy.

ThinkingSkins, try "Someone Like You". It has Ashley Judd, Greg Kinnear, and Hugh Jackman

B00006ZXSO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

and it's really good. I think I bought it for 5 bucks somewhere.

and p.s. i can't believe you liked What Happens in Vegas....that movie was horrrrrrrrrrible

Princess Bride, Coming to America, and Something about Mary are not romantic comedies- they are comedies that happen to have elements of romance.

Okay, as to the thread topic...

I thought "You've Got Mail" was pretty good

C'mon, they're comedies where the entire plot is about breakups and relationships. Princess Bride throws some action and guy stuff in there, but its all about "True Love". Coming to America is about finding a wife. And Something about Mary is about a high school crush that never goes away. Thats the definition of a Romantic Comedy (to me at least).

Just because they aren't sappy romantic comedies made for women doesn't mean they don't fit the genre.

MissU, you mean to tell me that Wolverine is in a Romantic Comedy? Nah, I refuse to watch that one!

It's one of my favorites of all time....and I've never seen Wolverine or any of those comic movies so I guess my image of Hugh isn't tainted. You'll like it though, trust me. It's quirky. Marisa Tomei is in it, too, if that helps.

What's really depressing is a guy sitting and watching all these movies by himself. I guess thats better than inviting some of my guy friends over to watch some of these things. Or is it more sad to start dating a girl just so I can have a legit excuse to watch these movies and not feel bad?

It's one of my favorites of all time....and I've never seen Wolverine or any of those comic movies so I guess my image of Hugh isn't tainted. You'll like it though, trust me. It's quirky. Marisa Tomei is in it, too, if that helps.

But does it have well-defined masculine roles? I don't want to be watching some dudes look all sappy or a bunch of ladies talk about orgies. Thats where I draw the line.

What's really depressing is a guy sitting and watching all these movies by himself. I guess thats better than inviting some of my guy friends over to watch some of these things. Or is it more sad to start dating a girl just so I can have a legit excuse to watch these movies and not feel bad?

I can't get my guy to watch any of those movies with me. If it's a romantic comedy, he's not watching it.

a little enthusiastic there....kinda like you're begging to give up your man-card...

uh, he's not the one that started this thread

But does it have well-defined masculine roles? I don't want to be watching some dudes look all sappy or a bunch of ladies talk about orgies. Thats where I draw the line.

well, Hugh plays a player who always has ****es over....and Greg plays a cheater

Archived